Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JenSP
Interesting music discussion - since installing FD's sport-cat and mufflers there's only been one soundtrack in the car - can't remember the last time I had the stereo playing.

At home have finally got around to a 3TB NAS & ethernet link to a Naim network player with latest DAC. What a revelation - whether CDs uploaded in lossless or a 10 year old high-end CD player feeding the Naim. The biggest jump in quality are 24bit HD music downloads (increasingly from record label websites) which make CD's sound like the 30 year old technology they are.

A great amp and speakers help, but its fun times as HD music sites get more plentiful (HDtracks, Linn music etc) as does the storage cost to enable this - who'd have thought we'd be getting 1TB for $100. The current range of iPods struggle with HD but MP3's days are numbered as storage becomes less of an issue.
Thanks for the insight. I know nothing about HD tracks. I will learn up a bit more on this. When you say large how large would a typically album be?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeez, you guys are tech geeks. I missed that bus.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I think about 400mb for a 96khz/24bit FLAC album.

Edit: double that. Just had a look and Jimi Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge, which is only 8 tracks long, is a little under 900mb.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jake. I have around 400 CDs can I record them in this format to hard drive or do I need to download them this way?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

So roughly 350GB needed. You can encode from the CDs, don't need to download again, but they won't be the same fidelity as those downloaded from a genuine HD source (I think CDs are limited to 16/44?). They'll be lossless though, so better than MP3.

Be warned: your iPhone can't play the files. You can get a player app for Windows or Mac OSX I'm sure, but you can't add them to iTunes or sync them with your phone.

Here's a guide for Windows. Options on Mac are limited I think:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15577...th-foobar2000/
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks for the insight. I know nothing about HD tracks. I will learn up a bit more on this. When you say large how large would a typically album be?
Anywhere from 40 to 70MB per track. You can typically choose file format i.e. FLAC, AIFF etc. (the latter if you want to play on itunes) and also sample rates (44 to 320); but a lot of hardware currently doesn't replay 320 kbps in AIFF but may be sorted by firmware upgrades.

My kids are MP3 junkies and keen musicians - even they appreciate the sound. Amazing how everyone says rock/pop is least affected by compression.......until you hear it in HD / studio master quality.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys. Again we trade convenience for quality - but it does look like the future will enable us to have both air AIFF etc. When Im in NZ over Xmas and have a decent length of time on the ground Id like to re do my library with better quality sound (higher bitrate better compression etc). May call on the board then for a rethink on this. Im a bit like Paul and others - I understand the concepts and are PC proficient but dont keep up with the tech changes and where gravity is taking the standards. When I was young I was on the bleeding edge but Ive learnt with tech, age and less time that it pays me to be a "late adopter" these days then the wrinkles are ironed out and the hardware/firmware/software is standardised and ubiquitous. My only failing is the 993 which has become a bleeding edge car many times to my frustration and cost LOL!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Nice looking low mileage 964 tippo

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=776387095
Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JenSP
Interesting music discussion - since installing FD's sport-cat and mufflers there's only been one soundtrack in the car - can't remember the last time I had the stereo playing. At home have finally got around to a 3TB NAS & ethernet link to a Naim network player with latest DAC. What a revelation - whether CDs uploaded in lossless or a 10 year old high-end CD player feeding the Naim. The biggest jump in quality are 24bit HD music downloads (increasingly from record label websites) which make CD's sound like the 30 year old technology they are. A great amp and speakers help, but its fun times as HD music sites get more plentiful (HDtracks, Linn music etc) as does the storage cost to enable this - who'd have thought we'd be getting 1TB for $100. The current range of iPods struggle with HD but MP3's days are numbered as storage becomes less of an issue.
This is spot on. hdtracks.com is the way to go for good hardly compressed files for home audio running though a DAC.

There is talk of apple soon releasing their music store content in hi res format, as artists have long been supplying their music as hi res recordings. opening up even more hi res options.

Naim to me is the porsche of the audio world, both in its aesthetic and being an 'everyday top end' product. beautiful stuff that's simple, well built, well priced and sounds amazing.

I guess we are all music nerds here! I ended up being seduced by b&o in the end, but if i was looking in 2014. The naim super uniti or uniti qute would be on the hot list for a system that handles all the new digi music options.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Nice looking low mileage 964 tippo http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=776387095
Ex HK. Imported in 2003 with 53,000km. I suspect the maintenance is a bit deferred, but it won't have been played with.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Enjoying the interesting chat guys. Sorry I didn't catch on to the conversations on here earlier.
I don't think I qualify as a regular so will wish you all a very merry Sunday on Phils boat and maybe catch up with you all next weekend on the way to Taupo. 12 at Drury BP??
John could you bring some of the video you have been working on? Dont know if we will have enough time but would like to see the highlights.
Also, I am keen to do some 2 K cup racing and if someone will join me on yhe 18th october I would be keen to share a drive and have a race with BB. BUT it does get difficult to work out the cost/share and I don't want to be seen to be over using her. I think it could be a lot easier to limit her use to our sessions. What do we all think?
My new blue car is having the gearbox placed tomorrow after having new 2 nd and 3 rd syncros replaced after Kevin found them a bit sticky at the shakedown run at HD in the rain. Was hoping to bring her on the NITT but she won't be ready. Can't wait to get her on he track.
A regular is somebody whos name we recognise.. I think I recognise your handle
I am sure you are welcome should you so desire
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
A regular is somebody whos name we recognise.. I think I recognise your handle I am sure you are welcome should you so desire
Not to mention Neil's 720 spin features on one of the videos
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 PM
PHG
Racer

Sshhh!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Neil. You aren't just family you are a diety after the wet pirouette....
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Sshhh!
Sound track is "slip sliding away". Edited at three different speeds. Fast is the best.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?