Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014 | 12:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Dave, sorry to say I was in at EP on Friday.

Me: "Has anything changed with Dave's car since I was last in?"

Dan: "No."

He did assure me that the painting work would start within a couple of weeks though!
Dave. It might be quicker to get John to do it?
Old 09-07-2014 | 04:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Nice to see the gang this evening.

BIG thanks to Captain Phil for sharing the love boat with us.............
Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2014 | 05:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here here. Captain Phil and his lovely wife are the best - amazing boat, cute dog Blitz and very generous spread (Pizza was superb - Phil I think we need top pay you for that?) - great company too - thanks all!
Old 09-07-2014 | 06:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Dave. It might be quicker to get John to do it?
I don't want a Honda guy working on my Porsche
Old 09-07-2014 | 06:50 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nice to see the gang this evening. BIG thanks to Captain Phil for sharing the love boat with us.............
Ditto Phil - brilliant evening and great to see everyone. John, thanks again too for providing the extended music vid. Nice shot BTW Paul.

Originally Posted by Maxem
LOL, I can see John cringe from here. Still, when he brings his Honda honed skills back to Herman's driving seat...
Old 09-07-2014 | 06:53 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Ha ha ha, he's getting dangerously close isn't he? He just needs to sell the 996T to tip the balance, or find a 4th integra...
Old 09-07-2014 | 07:36 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Thanks for hosting Phil, was a great spot. Good to see/meet everyone that came along. Look forward to joining you guys on the track at some point. Unsure if it will be in my own car or one from the McMugen Motorsports stable...
Old 09-07-2014 | 08:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good get together. Thanks Phil and Glenda for hosting.

Returned home a bit later than expected so treated the neighbourhood to a session of night DIY (hammering in the dark as I needed to get copper soakers on the side of the house before the scaffolding goes tomorrow).

Time thereafter to sort out Herman and the Grintegra. Chris floated an idea tonight. The thought is that we (a small group of interested racers) turn the green Integra into a focussed caged 2kcuo car and store it at HD. I'm keen although I want to give the car a once over before even starting to think about bringing others in.

Jake, BB is perfect for breaking the track cherry

Dave, all my brushes are shot right now, but Doug has a spray gun. I could probably do Bogan Black. Practice on your car before tacking Grintegra
Old 09-07-2014 | 03:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

2k cup survey, which gives a sense where that class is heading https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1buX.../viewanalytics
Old 09-07-2014 | 04:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John Chris idea is a good one but you have to change the name to Shrek as the one you have chosen is too hard!
HSG could use Shrek once BBetty (let's not be so PC here the term is nothing to do with a black woman - see below) has passed. Shrek would be 4s at least a lap faster and a hell of a lot safer in an off.

"The origin and meaning of the lyrics are subject to debate. Historically the "Black Betty" of the title may refer to the nickname given to a number of objects: a musket, a bottle of whisky, a whip, or a penitentiary transfer wagon, as referenced in the following paragraphs:

Some sources claim the song is derived from an 18th-century marching cadence about a flint-lock musket with a black painted stock; the "bam-ba-lam" lyric referring to the sound of the gunfire. Soldiers in the field were said to be "hugging Black Betty". In this interpretation, the musket was superseded by its "child", a musket with an unpainted walnut stock known as a "Brown Bess".[2]

Other sources give the meaning of "Black Betty" in the United States (from at least 1827) as a liquor bottle.[3][4] In January 1736, Benjamin Franklin published The Drinker's Dictionary in the Pennsylvania Gazette offering 228 round-about phrases for being drunk. One of those phrases is "He's kiss'd black Betty."[5][6]

From the perspective of a writer... If Black Betty is referring to a musket, the child in the song is very likely referring to the musket ball. "that child is wild" meaning the ball didn't always go where it should. "The child is blind" meaning it did not care who it hit friend or foe, "Black betty don't care" meaning the musket also doesn't care who is killed by its child, "that child ain't mine" meaning "it wasn't me who shot my buddy in the back of the head". This is supported by multiple descriptions of the use of the musket in the battlefield. During the Napoleonic/ Russian campaign 1/4 of all French casualties were caused by the rear ranks shooting their own front ranks. The line "she's from Birmingham" also fits as the place where muskets were manufactured.

"Black Betty" used as an expression for a liquor bottle may ultimately owe its origin to the famous pretty black barmaid who worked at the notorious Tom King's Coffee House in Covent Garden, London, which opened in 1720.

In Caldwells's Illustrated Combination Centennial Atlas of Washington Co. Pennsylvania of 1876, a short section describes wedding ceremonies and marriage customs, including a wedding tradition where two young men from the bridegroom procession were challenged to run for a bottle of whiskey. This challenge was usually given when the bridegroom party was about a mile from the destination-home where the ceremony was to be had. Upon securing the prize, referred to as "Black Betty", the winner of the race would bring the bottle back to the bridegroom and his party. The whiskey was offered to the bridegroom first and then successively to each of the groom's friends.[7]"
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:10 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nice to see the gang this evening.

BIG thanks to Captain Phil for sharing the love boat with us.............
+1 - great to see everyone - cool venue & so easy to park out on the wharf by the boat. Thanks DJ JMac for the video & tunes.

Comment of the day

Originally Posted by John McM
Time thereafter to sort out Herman and the Grintegra. Chris floated an idea tonight. The thought is that we (a small group of interested racers) turn the green Integra into a focussed caged 2kcuo car and store it at HD. I'm keen although I want to give the car a once over before even starting to think about bringing others in.
So if you go down that track what happens with BB2? Or is that your 2k cup car and another one for the rest of those interested? Another thought could be that once everyone has had their fun with BB, posted times and had enough sessions, she could be retired (sold) & funds reinvested in the Grinch... Too many Hondas, not enough days to drive them all!
Old 09-07-2014 | 11:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Right now the certainty is BB and the Grinch (I like that name). I'm finishing off painting today at home so had to move the Grinch and took a bit of time to look at it. The basics are fine. It may even pass re-registration as is, but $800 is better spent on a cage. If we can park it at HD, then making it a dedicated race car makes sense. No need for rego, trailers etc.

I suspect that BB might be yesterday's news eventually if the Grinch circulates at 1:25, but I'd like to keep that going until we find it hard to get takers to drive her i.e. It becomes a natural decision.

The third car, the black one is still worthwhile seeing, but I'm thinking more and more that it doesn't have a niche. We'll see.

What I'd like to have is some company racing one or two cars. A full caged car could enter endurance racing.

The Porsches remain a central passion for RSG events but the 2kcup provides the racing until it runs its course.
Old 09-08-2014 | 12:24 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Does anyone have a recommendation of an auckland company that can crack test my wheel carrier? Asked Dean at CCS but he hasn't had the need for a few years so isn't sure.
Old 09-08-2014 | 12:29 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
...It may even pass re-registration as is, but $800 is better spent on a cage. If we can park it at HD, then making it a dedicated race car makes sense. No need for rego, trailers etc.

What I'd like to have is some company racing one or two cars. A full caged car could enter endurance racing.
I'll chuck my name in the hat John, at least for 2Kcup to start with. Endurance would see some big speed and line differentials between cars coming into the corners I reckon so wouldn't mind a few 'cup races first, whether in BB or the Grinch.

The Porsches remain a central passion for RSG events but the 2kcup provides the racing until it runs its course.
John, I reckon you're displaying eminent sense in looking to learn racecraft in something that's essentially disposable.
Old 09-08-2014 | 01:16 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

https://www.facebook.com/LynnRogersAutomotive

Doug ring Lynn, he will know who to do it for you. He might be considered the godfather of engine building in NZ.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?