Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm tyring to decide whether I could own a brown 911 (turd-mobile) The colour is 'copper metallic' Honest thoughts - what do you reckon??
I'm with Jake in thinking it really suits the SC. Then again, I liked the original black and tan pasha check interior in the 928 I had, so may not be the best arbiter of style!

Originally Posted by John McM
I got home last to find that my youngest son had come home from school, saw the VTI-R in the driveway and ran to a Neighbour to say he thought there was a burglar in the house.
LOL - priceless!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Not one of the 70s greatest contributions to the classic design palette IMO but suits the period of the car and as always with these relics condition and provenience before colour etc...

Has anyone had their brakes go blue like this? New discs and MX72 pads bedded in during 4 sessions at HD in July ( cold track and ambient temps). Brakes felt awesome - best ever and as good as GT3 - but strong smell of pads after each session...front and rears show same blue... Just curious....
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You are not alone - I got home last to find that my youngest son had come home from school, saw the VTI-R in the driveway and ran to a Neighbour to say he thought there was a burglar in the house.
Priceless! Tell him the only thing stolen is your Mojo! Thought you were going to say he thought you'd bought him his first car!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Not one of the 70s greatest contributions to the classic design palette IMO but suits the period of the car and as always with these relics condition and provenience before colour etc...

Has anyone had their brakes go blue like this? New discs and MX72 pads bedded in during 4 sessions at HD in July ( cold track and ambient temps). Brakes felt awesome - best ever and as good as GT3 - but strong smell of pads after each session...front and rears show same blue... Just curious....
It's normal, caused by rotor heat. Why are the inside and outside of the rotors still shiny? Do the pads sweep the entire rotor area?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Matt. I have no idea but I will ask. My first thought was heat as well but on further reflection...Pretty sure the pad sweeps the whole area (much larger than the old callipers/pads which swept to a few mm of the edge) but if I look closely I see the discoloured area is precisely where the bottom and top cast hole edges start and finish. the pads have a blue colour out of the box. They weren't used too hard in July really so I was just wondering if its material transfer from the pad. The pads may be marginally tapered front and sides from new by the manufacturer too but I never saw them prior to fitting. Ill have to ask Dean...ill post what he says...

P.S. Like all things everything seems to be last minute. Pete just did new alignment on the 993 - found I wasnt using 40mm of the inside of the new front tyres at HD in July! I thought that was rather odd. I had alot of understeer (hes softened up the front sway bar alot) due to the larger rear boots and the new GT LSD pushing on. The car didnt feel right to me as I stated after the sessions on here. Looks like it needed another -0.45 degree negative camber up front otherwise the contact patch was compromised. Too hard on the ARBs up front too.

But the big suprise was the passenger side lower control arm (Rennline heim jointed) has play already. I had these fitted after the same side showed play on the 20 year old factory part after the NITT last year. So its seen 4.5 track days (SITT + 4 sessions HD July) and maybe 7000 road km (very little use in the rain and it has a dust boot) and yet the bearing in the arm is already exhibiting play. This is probably the problem with track dedicated components but it is very unusual for the bearing to show play so quickly. The tough part is finding a replacement insert locally. Look slike I may have to Fedex on in from Rennline but even then will be very marginal if it will arrive in time! How annoying!
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm tyring to decide whether I could own a brown 911 (turd-mobile)

The colour is 'copper metallic'

Honest thoughts - what do you reckon??
Spectacular colour and perfect for an impact bumper. That bronze C3 still tootles by every morning along the waterfront and I really like that one too - similar if not the same colour but with tail and Carrera graphics. Can't go wrong with a period colour I reckon.
I knew you'd be back !
One of the dumbest things I have done in the last year was not buy your C3. I'm loving the '78 loaner and could see it as a bit more road friendly being just marvellous.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

A Brown tripod
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Always liked this one too
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you going I buy another C3?
Yes looking at the copper C3 that lives in St Heliers that you guys sometimes see.

I just missed out on a NZ new 1989 Carrera G50 in resale red (and very gutted).

I have a strong itch for another IB car.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 09-01-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's happening with the 993?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
A Brown tripod
Love the vertical rear vision mirror thing going on...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes looking at it the copper C3 that lives in St Heliers that you guys sometimes see.

I just missed out on a NZ new 1989 Carrera G50 in resale red (and very gutted).

I have a strong itch for another IB car.
Paul take your time don't buy on a rebound. Plenty of 911s on the market and they always pop up. Networking through the club on the ones not on the market may make sense for you too....
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
What's happening with the 993?
Staying..... with manual 993's being sub $50K cars now, can't stomach the hit and need to C/F it out over a few years of ownership............

The 993 will get repainted Nov-Dec (subject to painter availabilty) to Polar Silver (instead of several shades of a blue-ish silver).

I just have a thing for Impact Bumper 911's - being an 80's kid, it's my favourate shape and I really like the way they drive, they are lighter and more nimble than more modern Porsches.

I also have a thing for C3's, and being so rare, it's hard to pass up. Trying hard to like the colour (my view is the same a John's, not being in to the top half of my colour picks), and the car had a wee bit of rust, so just need to understand how bad and how much?

Last edited by kiwi 911; 09-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. what about making the owner of your old C3 an offer he simply cant refuse? If that doesnt work a guaranteed first right of refusal if you are in now real hurry? Peoples plans change - they say they will never sell something and then they capitulate as soon as a big household bill comes along etc...
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. what about making the owner of your old C3 an offer he simply cant refuse? If that doesnt work a guaranteed first right of refusal if you are in now real hurry? Peoples plans change - they say they will never sell something and then they capitulate as soon as a big household bill comes along etc...
My old C3 doesn't have the orginal engine (has SC engine now).

Craig has my old C3 looking very sharp these days...............

This car has lower miles and original engine and gear box.

Thinking of doing a Dave-mobile - changing the colour and making it my dream 911 in lime green or mexico blue.........It will owe me a hundie, but will do all the things I want a Pcar to do.............

I look forward to seeing Dave's car, as I think the personalised Sunday driver R Gruppe car is something I need to tick off the bucket list.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?