Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Starting to sound good. I would just caution against Ardmore (and maybe other runways?) though as it is like driving on a cheese grater. No problem for top speed runs or maybe even that giant slalom idea but anything twistier and it gets expensive. The first of my two gymkhanas was at Ardmore and while entry was only $50 or so and fuel not much more, it cost me $400 in tyre wear for a total run time of 15 or so minutes max. And I was lucky as I had near new 300 treadwear tyres and it just scuffed them down neatly by a quarter of the useable tread. Guys on softer rubber had huge chunks ripped out so it may have cost some of them closer to a thousand to replace them outright. It wouldn't bother me personally again as I've kept enough old tyres around for next time, but thought I should at least let others know what to expect if fanging it on a very harsh surface. Massive fun was had, but the cap I won that day I call my $500 cap...
Great point. We want a relatively low friction surface to aid in inducing slip angles at moderate speed not the opposite. I don't fancy chewing out a set of MPSC2 20" tyres myself (gulp)! What we need is an apron off a runway that's made from lower friction Imolium or alternatively a concrete apron which would be even better!

If anyone knows somewhere that may suffice please speak up :-)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a "more interesting" course on the HD skid pan like we did at Mt Cotton? That was fun and with a better layout could do it in second gear.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Stop motion car wrap for the curious.

http://idealog.co.nz/design/2015/04/...motion-edition
Old 04-21-2015, 01:07 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
I found the most interesting stuff was about slip angles, traction patches and the physics of the car on the track. Once you start to understand the relations between inputs, physics and traction you start to inherently know what is needed to trip a vehicle for a swifter lap. Biggest issue I identified after reading a few chapters (I haven't got even half way through the book) is you really need to go off an practice some of the techniques before reading further and layering on more information for fear of it just becoming one big jumble and mess. Unfortunately I dont have enough laps in a single year in NZ to put this into practice.

One thing I could really benefit from in the GT3 is finding the limits of adhesion. Ive been scared to utilise the performance of the car because I dont know where the boundaries are and the thought of "loosing it" is daunting essentially on track with others close buy and at the speeds it carries. The first time out in that car it was consistent and seemed forgiving putting in 4-5 laps out of 10 all within a few tenths of each other. But there was so much more there I wasn't accessing as I was already driving it 3-4 seconds faster than my 993 PB and I had no idea where the boundaries were and didnt want to take the chance to find out so erred to caution. The 993 is different as Ive had ample opportunity over 14+ years to loose it or play to find the limited of that car.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hiring a track or a skid pan or a large carpark to learn some of that car control right on the edge of traction in a controlled, open and safe environment. Id like RSG to organise something like that this year if its possible. Its a shame we have no MIRA style test facilities - however HD has a wet skit pan and a track. Would need to be a smallish group to get the most out of it as its really requires a tutor for much of it...bit like Porsche Experience at Mt Cotton for those here that have done that, but obviously much cheaper and using your own car...
That stuff about physics reminds me of a good read, the manual from Gran Turismo 1! It was a thick little critter and instead of being all about the controls and settings it has basic instructions on how to drive. It had diagrams about clipping points, graphs details grip limits on front tyres, all sorts of stuff! It really showed how seriously they took the game and taught me so much as it came out just as I old enough to start learning to drive, perfect!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
What the book John?

I've just preordered this
HTML Code:
http://www.projectcarsgame.com
Hope it's good!
I missed the connection the first time around. I'm wary of the claims of HD graphics but it looks good. Maybe time to give the children a PS4....
Old 04-21-2015, 01:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

HD Long Range Weather Forecast is looking ok for next Tuesday. Bring it on.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:07 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
HD Long Range Weather Forecast is looking ok for next Tuesday. Bring it on.
Brilliant!. BTW - will BB be there? Keen to give my time a nudge too...
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Moochier
Instructor

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hiring a track or a skid pan or a large carpark to learn some of that car control right on the edge of traction in a controlled, open and safe environment. Id like RSG to organise something like that this year if its possible. Its a shame we have no MIRA style test facilities - however HD has a wet skit pan and a track. Would need to be a smallish group to get the most out of it as its really requires a tutor for much of it...bit like Porsche Experience at Mt Cotton for those here that have done that, but obviously much cheaper and using your own car...
Funny you should say, I was talking with Mike Eady on Sunday about that exact same thing... Finding the cars limits in a controlled way and playing around at that limit to get experience at what the car does.

We both agreed that the wet skid pan at HD is not very realistic and thought a wet closed track would be ideal. I'd definitely be keen on an organised day of this kind of driving, I think it would definitely help understand the car and be beneficial for Targa when the roads can be damp/wet and you don't know what corner is coming up next.

I've done a private day at HD with Down Force and we wet up the sweeper with the water truck and spent an hour or so trying to control power slides and do figure eights. Can't say anyone mastered it and I was in my awd RS4 so even harder... But it was fun and definitely got a better feel for the car.

From memory it was $1500 each for 6 of us, but that was a full day, with lunch and 3 instructors.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Brilliant!. BTW - will BB be there? Keen to give my time a nudge too...
Yes, BB is parked in Chris B's garage and will be brought out. However be aware that Paul is looking to drive her. I also want to get the last owner to break his cherry, Jason, out there before one of us totals her. The Grinch will also be around, however BB2 won't as Paul is driving one of Doug's cars down.

Are all of the spares etc in BB2? I can't remember how much BB has ;left in pads.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Great point. We want a relatively low friction surface to aid in inducing slip angles at moderate speed not the opposite.
If anyone knows somewhere that may suffice please speak up :-)
I'm not 100% on surface friction levels, but the area at the Greenlane expo site, where the V8 Utes usually do there burnout show... I did a Renault gymkhana there late last year... It's a pretty big area and probably cheap to hire.

My preference would be to get a small renegade group together and hire HD and the water truck... Then do sessions at each corner, taking turns to power slide around it, then convoy back to do it again... And again and again. You could control the dampness with the truck as it will dry out with time and driving... The track used to be $1500/day... Anyone know the current rate? Maybe one instructor to give tips and pointers?

Keen?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, BB is parked in Chris B's garage and will be brought out. However be aware that Paul is looking to drive her. I also want to get the last owner to break his cherry, Jason, out there before one of us totals her. The Grinch will also be around, however BB2 won't as Paul is driving one of Doug's cars down.

Are all of the spares etc in BB2? I can't remember how much BB has ;left in pads.
Should be plenty of time in those 5 hours for BB runs so I expect everyone can just go turns about to keep it interesting. Yes, better put Jason in first just to be safe, in case the curse of the Macca Cup strikes again. Anyone have a spare AIM that could stay in her for the day?

Yes, all the spares, fluids and transponders etc are in BB2 at Paul's. Couldn't get to Repco in time so we'll need another of those 10W-30 Semi synth oils too as BB2 does her own oil changes and drank a litre or so after each race.

Moochier - I could be up for some power sliding practice, having drifted the sweeper in the dry but then stuffing up the exit.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 AM
Moochier
Instructor

I missed the connection the first time around. I'm wary of the claims of HD graphics but it looks good. Maybe time to give the children a PS4....
Yeah sorry for the bad link... Couldn't figure out how to do one... The hyperlink icon just kept crashing my iPad, so tried the '<>' button but got that funny 'not link link!'
Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

... Ive been scared to utilise the performance of the car because I dont know where the boundaries are and the thought of "loosing it" is daunting essentially on track with others close buy and at the speeds it carries. ...
+964 Macca. These have been my exact thoughts since i've had Mr Black. I'm not going to get anywhere near the limits on the road. I dear say not on the track without having some controlled testing and tutoring before hand. I'd love to know where the limits are and more importantly how to handle them as best i can

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hiring a track or a skid pan or a large carpark to learn some of that car control right on the edge of traction in a controlled, open and safe environment. Id like RSG to organise something like that this year if its possible....
Pick me. Like most of us here i think we all like to hoon around a bit but ultimately we want to improve as drivers. Whether thats lap times or safety. It would be a worthy investment. Just need to get our insurance companies to chip in too
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
I'm not 100% on surface friction levels, but the area at the Greenlane expo site, where the V8 Utes usually do there burnout show... I did a Renault gymkhana there late last year... It's a pretty big area and probably cheap to hire. My preference would be to get a small renegade group together and hire HD and the water truck... Then do sessions at each corner, taking turns to power slide around it, then convoy back to do it again... And again and again. You could control the dampness with the truck as it will dry out with time and driving... The track used to be $1500/day... Anyone know the current rate? Maybe one instructor to give tips and pointers? Keen?
I love the idea of HD with a water truck. The track is 4500 for a week day though you'd probably have to throw marshals and ambo on top then water truck and instructors. Gets pricey at 8k plus even across a group of 8-10?

The Greenlane expo site sounds promising anyone have the contact details for that one?

With what I have in mind I don't think an insurer will touch us? Car control at the limit. That said it would be obstruction free and almost 100% impossible to hit anything one would hope (unlike the 2012 parade gymkhana). That was where I first me Clive Pilkington... but he didn't seem very friendly to my rookie self ;-)

If there is enough interest I'll need help to organise this as I'm offshore till Sept...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Should be plenty of time in those 5 hours for BB runs so I expect everyone can just go turns about to keep it interesting. Yes, better put Jason in first just to be safe, in case the curse of the Macca Cup strikes again. Anyone have a spare AIM that could stay in her for the day? Yes, all the spares, fluids and transponders etc are in BB2 at Paul's. Couldn't get to Repco in time so we'll need another of those 10W-30 Semi synth oils too as BB2 does her own oil changes and drank a litre or so after each race. Moochier - I could be up for some power sliding practice, having drifted the sweeper in the dry but then stuffing up the exit.
Glad BB is relegated to run group 2. Make sure everything is bolted tight this time :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?