Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:49 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day in the garage getting grease under my fingernails today.

Figured why the previous owner of BB swore so much. Changing the brake pads is a mission vs a PCar. Rediculously the rears need you to completely remove the calipers and installing the new pads is really fiddly. Took me a couple of hours to change the fronts and rears. The fronts still had a fair bit of meat on them so could be used again but I figured its so much easier to replace them while in a garage with time available.

The onto Lola with mixed success.maim was to replace the right wishbone and get the wheel back on the car.

Unfortunately the wishbone suppled had the ball joint for the wheel carrier installed upside down (for left side, instead of right) and one of the bolts will need to be pressed out. Something I can't do. Tried a light attack with a mallet but it wasn't budging.

So then decided to have a crack at removing the steering rack after reading up the workshop manual on how to do it. Got stumped when trying to disconnect the universal joint behind the pedal box. Need a monkey to get in there to do that job so will get some poor bugger from CCS to come and do it.

Stripped and cleaned the wheel carrier, no sign of cracks or anything untoward which is good.

Now have feet up with a couple of beers and somewhat satisfied with the day's work.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2014, 03:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Website or Spark problems uploading images. Giving up :-(
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work Doug, should be good as new soon. Maybe we can debut our "new" rides at the same time?

Spark is patchy, same probs as you.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:00 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

could be worth getting some components to be crack tested Doug? I have just done that on a few things on the Fraser and do same with the steering rack on Targa car
Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Brown.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great work Doug. That caliper looks like it could do with some cleaning up. This may be a good opportunity to get them all stripped cleaned new piston seals fitted and repainted while you have the downtime....

spark is hopeless. They are having a massive dNS attack according to the 123 helpline - thought I was returning to the first world! After the last few weeks of perfect weather and 30c days must say it's fairly chilly too!

Both cars ready to go. Being on NITT and banish the rain!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Quick break from painting. Three rooms have no windows so not much time to rest.

I need to get a C licence as well. I'm keen on a group test. Terry said a while back he could do it for us. Seems like Dave and Doug have been very active. We'll all be ready for a rest tomorrow afternoon. See you there.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Nice work Doug, should be good as new soon. Maybe we can debut our "new" rides at the same time? Spark is patchy, same probs as you.
I've got a lot less to get done so hope to beat you (although need to get your car out of Steve's workshop to make room for mine, ha ha) but it would be cool to debut together all right.

Originally Posted by gt38088
could be worth getting some components to be crack tested Doug? I have just done that on a few things on the Fraser and do same with the steering rack on Targa car
I've heard people talk about crack testing Graeme. How's it done?

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work Doug. That caliper looks like it could do with some cleaning up. This may be a good opportunity to get them all stripped cleaned new piston seals fitted and repainted while you have the downtime.... spark is hopeless. They are having a massive dNS attack according to the 123 helpline - thought I was returning to the first world! After the last few weeks of perfect weather and 30c days must say it's fairly chilly too! Both cars ready to go. Being on NITT and banish the rain!!!
It was warm today Macca. You are too soft :-)

Yep cleaning the callipers up and repainting them [red] is the plan along with upgrading the rears to two pot C4 callipers. Need to get the rears from Steve so I can attack all four together.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I've heard people talk about crack testing Graeme. How's it done?
You put some dye for crack testing on the part and then wipe it off. If there is a crack some dye stays in the crack. You then can see the crack with the bare eye or under UV light, depends on the crack and dye. The part needs to be clean and grease free for that.

Last edited by Ralf G; 09-06-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

agree with Ralf. Not sure if there are any more specialized things that are done as my shop does send parts out for testing - like the crank - when engine as being rebuilt. check with Steve to see what he does?
Old 09-06-2014, 04:33 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun out on the boat today! Fam made plans for me, so I'd be wise to accept them.

John. Ive been talking with Mike at Prosport about ordering Endless MX72 for the GT3 for when the factory pads are done. Endless have just released the pads for the new GT3. I want to see how the MX72 in the 993 wear during the NITT first. He also sells the Endless RF-650 brake fluid which has a very good rap in Europe where its the standard Porsche Cup fill for the Tudor series etc (its PAg approved). I think its about half the price of SFR and equal in performance. Might be an option for 2K car...
MX72 is what I loaded up on all four corners the other week. Another data point to look at after NITT as they are basically untouched so far and new discs.

Funny only thing I listen to in the car here is BBC World Service. Only time I learn something each day LOL!
My audio conversion has been going slow - gotten used to audio quality of a single iphone/pad speaker! Not quite the same as ribbon speakers and a nice old tube amp.

Originally Posted by nzskater
I think about 400mb for a 96khz/24bit FLAC album. Edit: double that. Just had a look and Jimi Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge, which is only 8 tracks long, is a little under 900mb.
All my Floyd is FLAC. Everything else mp3 suffices.

Neil. You aren't just family you are a diety after the wet pirouette....
+1 Want to get a decode from you some day on braking moments there!

Originally Posted by Ndewar
If we have a number willing to write it I am sure we can ask Terry to arrange a time and place that would suit?
I'm in.

Two layups and a rough trim. Looks like a bought one - almost.
Looks great - I need a fiberglass course from you some day ...
Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm understanding you audio freaks properly, MP3 128 is more like cutting the cheese than cutting the mustard, and I should stop ripping CDs to it? It was The Shiz back in 1998 because you could download a whole song on dialup in less than an hour!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure of progress in Pirongia
Dave, sorry to say I was in at EP on Friday.

Me: "Has anything changed with Dave's car since I was last in?"

Dan: "No."

He did assure me that the painting work would start within a couple of weeks though!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:49 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Obsessed
If I'm understanding you audio freaks properly, MP3 128 is more like cutting the cheese than cutting the mustard, and I should stop ripping CDs to it? It was The Shiz back in 1998 because you could download a whole song on dialup in less than an hour!
MP3 at ~256kbps with a modern encoder (e.g. LAME) is virtually transparent to almost all listeners, and 320kbps is near archival quality. The advantage stuff like AAC and Opus provide are better quality at lower bitrates. People who claim they can easily detect differences at those MP3 bitrates are swimming against established science and testing procedures. Same with >44.1/48kHz sampling rates, >16-bit sample precision, etc.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Dave, sorry to say I was in at EP on Friday.

Me: "Has anything changed with Dave's car since I was last in?"

Dan: "No."

He did assure me that the painting work would start within a couple of weeks though!
Thanks. Might be time for a proper schedule i think.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?