Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to add to that hardware devices like car stereos and household stereos are now beginning to support playing spotify directly. Eg my home Onkyo stereo connects to our home network (via copper) and directly supports spotify. I just haven't bothered to figure out how to make it work and so I just play spotify music from an ipod touch through the stereo.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, depending on my mood I move from gangsta rap to techno to classical. I'm not an audiophile but I think I can recognise good quality sound.

I can listen to the ascending lark though an iTunes download and qed Bluetooth receiver and swear it sounds crystal clear in the quieter portions and soaring violin sections alike.

Your mileage may vary and it seems that there are clear opinions. All I can say is that Bluetooth has revived three old stereos and I love the convenience of selecting songs on the iPhone and listen in to it.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah Doug. I dont use bluetooth other than for handfree kit. I use the hardwire and it still sounds pretty darn average to me. Pop the CD in and its leagues apart. The 993 headunit has no options. Shes a bueat tho burr brown 1 bit DAC with gold outputs and you can even turn all the electronics off and push direct to amp (drops a transformer) to reduce "noise". Was a real audiophile unit back in 2005 when I was gifted it by MD of Kenwood. They only made a handful I think mostly domestic market (volume know is on right hand side to suit RHD cars - dont you hate how almost all of them are built for LHD market). Speakers in that set up and Focal PolyGlass fronts with built in cross overs. But the cabin and the RS door furniture are the limiting factors in the 911. You aren never going to get serious acoustics in that cabin with such a large greenhouse and all those curves etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

too true, i love the convenience of bluetooth in the car
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
By the by, Macca, thanks for the heads up about FD Motorsport. I only just saw your post
FD Motorsports are legends. Mark has put us all onto them. I've imported over $10K's worth of stuff and can't rate them highly enough..........
Ndewar
Instructor

Enjoying the interesting chat guys. Sorry I didn't catch on to the conversations on here earlier.
I don't think I qualify as a regular so will wish you all a very merry Sunday on Phils boat and maybe catch up with you all next weekend on the way to Taupo. 12 at Drury BP??
John could you bring some of the video you have been working on? Dont know if we will have enough time but would like to see the highlights.
Also, I am keen to do some 2 K cup racing and if someone will join me on yhe 18th october I would be keen to share a drive and have a race with BB. BUT it does get difficult to work out the cost/share and I don't want to be seen to be over using her. I think it could be a lot easier to limit her use to our sessions. What do we all think?
My new blue car is having the gearbox placed tomorrow after having new 2 nd and 3 rd syncros replaced after Kevin found them a bit sticky at the shakedown run at HD in the rain. Was hoping to bring her on the NITT but she won't be ready. Can't wait to get her on he track.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
I don't think I qualify as a regular so will wish you all a very merry Sunday on Phils boat
Neil - you are considered family now mate............
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah Doug. I dont use bluetooth other than for handfree kit. I use the hardwire and it still sounds pretty darn average to me. Pop the CD in and its leagues apart. The 993 headunit has no options. Shes a bueat tho burr brown 1 bit DAC with gold outputs and you can even turn all the electronics off and push direct to amp (drops a transformer) to reduce "noise". Was a real audiophile unit back in 2005 when I was gifted it by MD of Kenwood. They only made a handful I think mostly domestic market (volume know is on right hand side to suit RHD cars - dont you hate how almost all of them are built for LHD market). Speakers in that set up and Focal PolyGlass fronts with built in cross overs. But the cabin and the RS door furniture are the limiting factors in the 911. You aren never going to get serious acoustics in that cabin with such a large greenhouse and all those curves etc.
Sounds like a fine setup. I've had Focal's in my old BMW and liked them a lot though found them a little bright. To be honest, I was really limited in choice. The mount depth was very shallow. Finished up with Morel Dotech fronts and Jehnert subs. Custom harness, Cleansweep signal processor, Arc Audio mini amp to run the fronts and the headunit amp the drive the rears
Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Thanks Paul.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, depending on my mood I move from gangsta rap to techno to classical. I'm not an audiophile but I think I can recognise good quality sound.

I can listen to the ascending lark though an iTunes download and qed Bluetooth receiver and swear it sounds crystal clear in the quieter portions and soaring violin sections alike.

Your mileage may vary and it seems that there are clear opinions. All I can say is that Bluetooth has revived three old stereos and I love the convenience of selecting songs on the iPhone and listen in to it.
Thanks John. I used to be an audiophile but it doesnt suit my lifestyle any longer (can you imagine having a pair of class A amps in Vanuatu with a Krell pre!). If Im absolutely honest my hearing is now crap and I couldn't tell anything above 14000 hz even if I wanted to. It would be a waste so the digital era does interest me as its so convenient and means I listen to more music. A little like the 993 vs GT3 really. If Im anything Ive always been a keen music buff or at least I was but age takes care of all things!

Sam. I think I need someone to look at my iPhone files and see if they are the right compression/codec whatever.

The CD still sounds miles better inn the GT3 but it may just be the head unit. Others have complained too.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Enjoying the interesting chat guys. Sorry I didn't catch on to the conversations on here earlier. I don't think I qualify as a regular so will wish you all a very merry Sunday on Phils boat and maybe catch up with you all next weekend on the way to Taupo. 12 at Drury BP?? John could you bring some of the video you have been working on? Dont know if we will have enough time but would like to see the highlights. Also, I am keen to do some 2 K cup racing and if someone will join me on yhe 18th october I would be keen to share a drive and have a race with BB. BUT it does get difficult to work out the cost/share and I don't want to be seen to be over using her. I think it could be a lot easier to limit her use to our sessions. What do we all think? My new blue car is having the gearbox placed tomorrow after having new 2 nd and 3 rd syncros replaced after Kevin found them a bit sticky at the shakedown run at HD in the rain. Was hoping to bring her on the NITT but she won't be ready. Can't wait to get her on he track.
Neil, I will bring the files with me. I promise you won't have to turn the tv upside down this time

We can register a team name for BB and various people can race her. I wouldn't worry about overuse and costs are very easy to apportion. $25 per 15 minutes on the track for consumables. That would mean $100 for a full hour or 2x33 minute races on a day. It's no harder on her than Playdays. As I'm finding out, the supply of 2k cup cars is bigger than I thought. I have a line on another VTI-R that I'm looking at. If we break BB terminally we can move to a truly competitive car. The one I'm looking at has run 1:25. That's close to taking on Ray Williams!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I have a line on another VTI-R that I'm looking at. If we break BB terminally we can move to a truly competitive car. The one I'm looking at has run 1:25. That's close to taking on Ray Williams!
Its sounds like you may need help John.....HSG
Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Cool vid.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Neil - you are considered family now mate............
+1 Neil. Be there! More the merrier.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Interesting 964 for sale.................

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-776387095.htm

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?