Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Thanks John. I used to be an audiophile but it doesnt suit my lifestyle any longer (can you imagine having a pair of class A amps in Vanuatu with a Krell pre!). If Im absolutely honest my hearing is now crap and I couldn't tell anything above 14000 hz even if I wanted to. It would be a waste so the digital era does interest me as its so convenient and means I listen to more music. A little like the 993 vs GT3 really. If Im anything Ive always been a keen music buff or at least I was but age takes care of all things!

Sam. I think I need someone to look at my iPhone files and see if they are the right compression/codec whatever.

The CD still sounds miles better inn the GT3 but it may just be the head unit. Others have complained too.
Paul - that Becker unit was just born for your dash.

Macca, I'd like convenience too but just can't get excited enough about the trade-offs to jump in with both feet and pay for compromised content. I'm actually still waiting for the killer music format to arrive since pretty much going off recorded music when CDs came out as I hated the 'empty' sound they had (and usually still have, along with MP3s and most subsequent compressed formats). Kind of like the difference between a good curry and a bad one. Wouldn't have noticed if I was born a decade or two later I suppose. I'm pretty sure I have more 78s than CDs in the house - just wish I hadn't sold an exhibition grade HMV portable player to the War Museum since the one that replaced it is nowhere near as good. That first one was 80 or so years old but still sounded three times better than a CD player. Those things are pure analogue - no batteries required. The car is a much more forgiving environment than the home though, so dodgy FM stereo, CDs and compressed files still have their place there for me too. Might dust that wind up player off soon and scare the kids with some yodeling cowboy!

John, like you, when it comes to radio in the car I tend to cycle through almost the whole gamut - George, National, Flava, The Rock etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm $42 for an imported tipo. Sounds like an honest ad. That mint gaurds red @54km $45 sat around forever. Is it a known car?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gives new meaning to "one little old lady owner " aye (see pictures). Colour is described as an RS colour. I think not. Infact frontal has been poorly resprayed and door by the looks too (colour is well off). Id imagine its an ex Sing car with those upgrades. My thoughts are $30-32K?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Paul - that Becker unit was just born for your dash.

Macca, I'd like convenience too but just can't get excited enough about the trade-offs to jump in with both feet and pay for compromised content. I'm actually still waiting for the killer music format to arrive since pretty much going off recorded music when CDs came out as I hated the 'empty' sound they had (and usually still have, along with MP3s and most subsequent compressed formats). Kind of like the difference between a good curry and a bad one. Wouldn't have noticed if I was born a decade or two later I suppose. I'm pretty sure I have more 78s than CDs in the house - just wish I hadn't sold an exhibition grade HMV portable player to the War Museum since the one that replaced it is nowhere near as good. That first one was 80 or so years old but still sounded three times better than a CD player. Those things are pure analogue - no batteries required. The car is a much more forgiving environment than the home though, so dodgy FM stereo, CDs and compressed files still have their place there for me too. Might dust that wind up player off soon and scare the kids with some yodeling cowboy!

John, like you, when it comes to radio in the car I tend to cycle through almost the whole gamut - George, National, Flava, The Rock etc.
agree with you walter but cant fit an LP12 in the car and sold it years ago in any case but the vinyl sure sounded good and I miss it. The CD can be ok if you warm it up with the right hardware. The MP3 is fine when listening to background sound.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Its sounds like you may need help John.....HSG
I'd certainly welcome anyone else interested to get involved. An Integra hit team!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Funny only thing I listen to in the car here is BBC World Service. Only time I learn something each day LOL!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Help with the new obsession John. I was offering the benefits of a long ago forgotten Physiology degree thats all :-)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
And to add to that hardware devices like car stereos and household stereos are now beginning to support playing spotify directly. Eg my home Onkyo stereo connects to our home network (via copper) and directly supports spotify. I just haven't bothered to figure out how to make it work and so I just play spotify music from an ipod touch through the stereo.
I have an Onkyo amp; the Spotify interface is horrid, don't bother. iOS or desktop app is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Enjoying the interesting chat guys. Sorry I didn't catch on to the conversations on here earlier. I don't think I qualify as a regular so will wish you all a very merry Sunday on Phils boat and maybe catch up with you all next weekend on the way to Taupo.
You've got to be more of a regular than me; I've invited myself along, and I'm yet to see a track day! (not going out until driver training so I'm insured for it, others recent events have reinforced this for me).

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Interesting 964 for sale................. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-776387095.htm
Aspirational pricing IMO. Doesn't look bad, but is that paint really Champagne? And some of photos are two years old.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Interesting conversation regarding audio quality. I'm both old and young enough to have gone from vinyl to tape to CD to MD to MP3 before I was 20. During the course I've destroyed my ears at too many punk gigs and ridiculously loud raves (what ever happened to raves?), so much so that I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference once the mp3/lossy codec bitrate gets much over 256kbps. Throw engine and road noise in the mix, as well as lack of attention to anything much outside of driving, and I couldn't tell the difference. Unless you're listening on very high end gear, I'd put money on most not being able to tell the difference between a CD and 320kbps MP3 in a blind test. I don't think I could. I'd try but I haven't had a CD player in quite a few years!

Paul, that unit looks really good. Well worth the investment.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Neil - you are considered family now mate............
Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Interesting music discussion - since installing FD's sport-cat and mufflers there's only been one soundtrack in the car - can't remember the last time I had the stereo playing.

At home have finally got around to a 3TB NAS & ethernet link to a Naim network player with latest DAC. What a revelation - whether CDs uploaded in lossless or a 10 year old high-end CD player feeding the Naim. The biggest jump in quality are 24bit HD music downloads (increasingly from record label websites) which make CD's sound like the 30 year old technology they are.

A great amp and speakers help, but its fun times as HD music sites get more plentiful (HDtracks, Linn music etc) as does the storage cost to enable this - who'd have thought we'd be getting 1TB for $100. The current range of iPods struggle with HD but MP3's days are numbered as storage becomes less of an issue.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

John. Just in the nick of time to get Herman ready for NITT. This time in 1 week we will be tearing up the back roads of the central North island en route to Taupo!
Watch out for those roads. The cops are on to it.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Many pages back I remember reading a post from the owner of the Carrera GT, on the possibility of him taking it for a few laps at Taupo when you guys are there, anyone know if he's still planning to?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

[/LEFT]
Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Watch out for those roads. The cops are on to it.
Thanks Mate. I just follow Ron. In 3 years never seen a cop (not even any real traffic) on any of teh back roads he has chosen but mid week is different from weekend I guess so we will bea bit careful...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Many pages back I remember reading a post from the owner of the Carrera GT, on the possibility of him taking it for a few laps at Taupo when you guys are there, anyone know if he's still planning to?
Jake. Unlikely the Carrera GT. Matt has just bought a 997.1 GT3RS so will probably bring that to the track - but yes he is booked in for our Friday Taupo session.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?