Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014 | 12:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Just in the nick of time to get Herman ready for NITT. This time in 1 week we will be tearing up the back roads of the central North island en route to Taupo!
Herman had better be ready as is. I'll sneak his track wheels into BB's hatch. Otherwise I'm not doing anything as I have no spare time. Actually I might chuck some brake bleeding tools in BB as well just in case, plus some SRF.
Old 09-04-2014 | 01:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Lola progress update and question...

I've got pricing on the list of parts needed from CCS, Design911 (uk), FDMotorsports (usa) and Steve is working through finding the best panels and parts he has and pricing them up for me. I won't be sharing this data publically.

I've stripped off the front bumper to allow a closer look at the front slam plate and aircon radiator and fan and to allow the left hand wheel to turn directionally without hitting the bumper which was pushed back i to the wheel.

The only non-panel damage we appear to have so far is:
Busted RH wishbone - 2nd hand replacement on its way from Steve with new poly bushes, new bolts, and new ball joint so I can get her back on 4 wheels to make moving her around easier
Oil cooler radiator ripped by the fan blade and the plastic fan housing smashed. Replacement cooler and new fan housing required.
Aircon fan housing leg fractured. Will plastic weld as minor and easily repaired.
Steering has a very slight rough patch on the right hand end of the rack. Off to local firm who refirb them to see if they can fix it, otherwise replacement.
Aluminium bumper reinforcement bent.
Momo steering wheel bent slightly- I must have been holding on pretty hard!

that's all the non panel damage we have found do far.

What I'm wondering about is whether to blog about it on here. I'm in three minds over it.
1 I like to share and it may be interesting for some to follow
2 If I ever sell it, theres details about how it has been in an accident that are online. Positive, it's minor damage.
3 Negative "holy ****, it's been pranged"

So I thought I'd put it out there and ask the question and see what you guys reckon....
Option 1 - you can't hide it as NZ too small so may was well document a quality repair.......
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:00 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
Herman had better be ready as is. I'll sneak his track wheels into BB's hatch. Otherwise I'm not doing anything as I have no spare time. Actually I might chuck some brake bleeding tools in BB as well just in case, plus some SRF.
John, I'm not sure if you're just looking to just tote SRF in BB or whether you are thinking of using it in her. If the latter, she'd need a full drain, flush and refill as SRF is not compatible with standard brake fluids. Great stuff though and lasts much longer than standard fluids - some run a heavy race season on one fill and it would need some pretty heavy abuse before considering bleeding. I run it in the Turbo. The only downside is that it is slightly more compressible than (dry) standard fluids like Motul RBF so I found you lose a little brake feel. Worth the price and not that much more expensive when you consider the extended service life. Not sure that BB needs it, she's a lot lighter and slower than a Turbo or GT3, but for longer races it is great peace of mind.
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:20 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Paul. Is this an attempt to convince us you are over driving 911s on the track and fast road and now retiring into Concourse Competitions? Remind me to buy you a Cardigan for your 40th mate!
My non track activities will probably last as long as my diets.........I can only live on lettice for so long and will resort to usual habbits soon enough.........

I think we all konw you only get so many free goes in your raodie before a big bill ($10K or more) comes along, by my guess it's 10, and I must be beyond that with the SITT, Sprints and a Play Day, so not wishing to tempt fate...........

I will never be a concourse guy

On a separate matter, I just installed a Becker Grand Prix and new speakers into the car today - man what a difference having a non-bling radio that looks factory with iphone and ipod connection all sorted out. These head units really are the best for mid-school cars and I see why they are more second hand than new........
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Whats the skinny on that bronze C3.0? It was advertised briefly a year or so ago but didn't sell?
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Saw a post on here a few pages back re 930 running costs, what is the reason for this? Age of car or something else? Obviously some investment may be needed up front but once there wouldn't it be the same as running a 964 Turbo?
Everything is uprated and in lower volumes than a 911 Carrera or SC of the same era. A rotor, general engine bits etc. are all specific to a 930, so the pool of parts is smaller (this was the reason given to me bu Motorscience when doing a PPI on a bright red 930 as my first Porsche about 6 years ago).

The advise was short - buy a turbo and double your bills............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 09-04-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
John, I'm not sure if you're just looking to just tote SRF in BB or whether you are thinking of using it in her. If the latter, she'd need a full drain, flush and refill as SRF is not compatible with standard brake fluids. Great stuff though and lasts much longer than standard fluids - some run a heavy race season on one fill and it would need some pretty heavy abuse before considering bleeding. I run it in the Turbo. The only downside is that it is slightly more compressible than (dry) standard fluids like Motul RBF so I found you lose a little brake feel. Worth the price and not that much more expensive when you consider the extended service life. Not sure that BB needs it, she's a lot lighter and slower than a Turbo or GT3, but for longer races it is great peace of mind.
Just toting it for Herman. I also have it in the 996TT. Good stuff but TRD is plenty good enough for BB.
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Whats the skinny on that bronze C3.0? It was advertised briefly a year or so ago but didn't sell?
Will let you know next week, once it's inspected. The car is a little rusty, I just need to understand what 'a little rusty' is.............
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Ive been talking with Mike at Prosport about ordering Endless MX72 for the GT3 for when the factory pads are done. Endless have just released the pads for the new GT3. I want to see how the MX72 in the 993 wear during the NITT first. He also sells the Endless RF-650 brake fluid which has a very good rap in Europe where its the standard Porsche Cup fill for the Tudor series etc (its PAg approved). I think its about half the price of SFR and equal in performance. Might be an option for 2K car...
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014 | 02:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres the specs and price in NZ. He will do a deal on the price...
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014 | 03:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Will let you know next week, once it's inspected. The car is a little rusty, I just need to understand what 'a little rusty' is.............
Thats easy Paul. "A little rusty" = mucho dolleros.

Take it to your panel guy for a proper inspection of how far the rot may go. Sills, Kidney bowls, inside slam panels etc
Old 09-04-2014 | 03:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Thats easy Paul. "A little rusty" = mucho dolleros.

Take it to your panel guy for a proper inspection of how far the rot may go. Sills, Kidney bowls, inside slam panels etc
Yes - that is the plan..............
Old 09-04-2014 | 03:55 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
On a separate matter, I just installed a Becker Grand Prix and new speakers into the car today - man what a difference having a non-bling radio that looks factory with iphone and ipod connection all sorted out. These head units really are the best for mid-school cars and I see why they are more second hand than new........
Paul we need a pic of this becker unit. Where did your source it and what model is it?
Old 09-04-2014 | 05:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Paul we need a pic of this becker unit. Where did your source it and what model is it?
Nothing super exciting to look at Doug, but this is the whole point, I hate bling head units. It looks factory and has all the mod-con's (blue tooth and apple product collectively) that 20 yr old units don't have.

I had to get it out of the UK as they don't make anymore and hard to get.

IMHO - just looks right in a mid-school 911 dash.

Macca's head unit is the only other that I think looks good, but needs brushed steel details in his car to give it context.

It's actually really hard to find a head deck that doesn't belong in a 70's disco.
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2014 | 05:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I completely agree Paul. I have several head units with all the bells and whistles (integrated ipod inside the unit, bluetooth phone connect)m they sound great but look ghastly.

So, is it a matter of hunting on ebay knowing the specs you want and being patient to land one of these? What sort of "investment"?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?