Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM
JenSP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930's

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
So can you buy it for $45K? - bit confussed?

I think I know of this car - comes with lots or receipts, so probably a good one to buy. 930's are heavy and dosile to drive - you need to like this driving feeling as they are like driving a 928 in a 911 body - the opposite of light and nimble.

930 bills are also double that of a 911, so get ready to go to an all new cost of ownership dimension............

I liked the oak green 930 that was on TM about 12 months ago.

Ian Knotts knows of a gun metal grey 930 with cream interior.

http://www.rsconsulting.co.nz/cars/1.../1981-930.html

Photos don't do it justice. I have seen this car in the flesh over the years and it's a beast with the black rubbers and charcoal paint finish.
Just curious at what level these cars might transact (a question of price rather than value). As with the gun metal 930 at RS Consulting (which looks fab indeed) but been on at $62k for a couple of years, there are clearly no buyers at anywhere near asking prices. Both very nice cars it seems but little interest for higher mileage examples at serious $ - esp. when NA models from SC through to 993 can be had for relatively sensible $.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Lola progress update and question... I've got pricing on the list of parts needed from CCS, Design911 (uk), FDMotorsports (usa) and Steve is working through finding the best panels and parts he has and pricing them up for me. I won't be sharing this data publically. I've stripped off the front bumper to allow a closer look at the front slam plate and aircon radiator and fan and to allow the left hand wheel to turn directionally without hitting the bumper which was pushed back i to the wheel. The only non-panel damage we appear to have so far is: Busted RH wishbone - 2nd hand replacement on its way from Steve with new poly bushes, new bolts, and new ball joint so I can get her back on 4 wheels to make moving her around easier Oil cooler radiator ripped by the fan blade and the plastic fan housing smashed. Replacement cooler and new fan housing required. Aircon fan housing leg fractured. Will plastic weld as minor and easily repaired. Steering has a very slight rough patch on the right hand end of the rack. Off to local firm who refirb them to see if they can fix it, otherwise replacement. Aluminium bumper reinforcement bent. Momo steering wheel bent slightly- I must have been holding on pretty hard! that's all the non panel damage we have found do far. What I'm wondering about is whether to blog about it on here. I'm in three minds over it. 1 I like to share and it may be interesting for some to follow 2 If I ever sell it, theres details about how it has been in an accident that are online. Positive, it's minor damage. 3 Negative "holy ****, it's been pranged" So I thought I'd put it out there and ask the question and see what you guys reckon....
You know my thoughts Doug, but I'll put them in writing.

When I started looking at Turbo 3.6 cars there was one that had had an accident 3 days after arrival in NZ. I did a PPI on this car not knowing its history and was advised of repaired damage so stopped the purchase. Thing is that I never found out what truly happened so imagined the WORST. The gossip didn't help (let's face it some people do exaggerate) and the car languished for years on the market at the bottom of the price range. Eventually it went to Australia.

NZ is a small market. The best price for a C2 will come from an enthusiast and they will have contacts who will tell them the car has been in an accident. Some will stop there, others might look for more info. Give them easy access to the real story. You have a positive story to relate here. Lola is not badly damaged. Properly repaired she will drive and look as good as she did before. I say document the story. You can't erase the history but you can put the right story out there.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, that is a good car and will be good again. It has seen paint before for who knows what. Wouldn't put me off buying it again knowing that it has had an off. I'm over that stuff with my 993. The value in that was that it had never seen paint but once that cherry is popped the pressure comes off keeping it that way. That old T I'm into has hit a bank and been deregistered but I'm not in the slightest concerned about that. All part of the fascinating story.

Last edited by Maxem; 09-03-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
You know my thoughts Doug, but I'll put them in writing.

When I started looking at Turbo 3.6 cars there was one that had had an accident 3 days after arrival in NZ. I did a PPI on this car not knowing its history and was advised of repaired damage so stopped the purchase. Thing is that I never found out what truly happened so imagined the WORST. The gossip didn't help (let's face it some people do exaggerate) and the car languished for years on the market at the bottom of the price range. Eventually it went to Australia.

NZ is a small market. The best price for a C2 will come from an enthusiast and they will have contacts who will tell them the car has been in an accident. Some will stop there, others might look for more info. Give them easy access to the real story. You have a positive story to relate here. Lola is not badly damaged. Properly repaired she will drive and look as good as she did before. I say document the story. You can't erase the history but you can put the right story out there.
Well said John and sage advise. Doug you would be better posting progress on your own (hosted) site rather than posting here where it will get lost and be difficult to track. You can put the link up here from time to time with summary updates etc...
Old 09-03-2014, 05:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Black Beauty Update.

Doug has BB, plus the garage entry card and remote. He has purchased a seat of rear pads from Repco for $103 and will fit those and the front Repco spares to BB this weekend. Doug will use the cost of the pads against consumable costs for the NITT. Doug, that means you have total credit of $178, enough for seven 15 minute sessions.

Ralf has a new set of front EBC Yellows and 2.5 litres of TRD Brake Fluid. He also has a further set of EBC Yellows on the way.

Driving BB to Auckland from HD I noticed she could use some new wipers. I'll get those from Repco.

The vibration wasn't that bad at motorway speeds, so I'm thinking of lending BB a couple of 14 inch wheels for the road trip from the Green Machine rather than spending more money.

Depending on Doug's thoughts, we may transfer a driver seat from the Green Machine for the trip as well. Right now, you need to put the seat belt into the passenger receptacle.

Cash stands at $508.61 prior to the wiper purchase assuming Doug's pad purchase is used against his maintenance cost use.

4 October is the next track day. Dave, Doug, Ralf, Matt and Me are booked in. There's room for one more. I recall Walter being interested.

As for 2kcup, I'm hoping to have my own car out for the race on 18/10, if everything works out. I may have mis-judged the effort involved in re-registering a car, but there is a plan B. It would be great to have someone out there in BB as well.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Well said John and sage advise. Doug you would be better posting progress on your own (hosted) site rather than posting here where it will get lost and be difficult to track. You can put the link up here from time to time with summary updates etc...
Pleased to see the master plan for Lola's resurrection is coming together. Doug, I'm with John too in thinking that the cat is out of the bag anyway on the prang front so documenting a proper repair should only help. Macca's point is a good one - I'd just start a separate thread for the rebuild (to make it 10x more useful to yourself and others than it would be if spread over 171 pages of Rennlist NZ) but keep the team here updated on developments as things progress. I hope never to have to make use of your info (cross fingers) but have already learned enough from your posts to help me cope better with the aftermath if it does happen to mine.

@John. Pencil me in for the 4th if you like but I'm conscious that I've already had more seat time than most so am also just as happy to let someone else get another run instead. 18/10 is an intriguing prospect. Is it the 35+35minute dual race format that day?

Last edited by 996tnz; 09-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

@ Walter - I will pencil you in. We can sort out a competing interest closer to the day.

Re 18/10. I'm not sure if it's a 2 race day or a 1 hour event. I'd prefer the latter. I will go back of the grid and hopefully practice my overtaking moves. My plan B is another VTI-R doing 1:25 so I should be competitive. The car I bought last week may be too time intensive to prepare. I need to return parts to original and get it registered. I have insufficient time to do that before the race season takes off.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a post on here a few pages back re 930 running costs, what is the reason for this? Age of car or something else? Obviously some investment may be needed up front but once there wouldn't it be the same as running a 964 Turbo?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Saw a post on here a few pages back re 930 running costs, what is the reason for this? Age of car or something else? Obviously some investment may be needed up front but once there wouldn't it be the same as running a 964 Turbo?
I haven't owned a 930 but I can talk about owning older cars. Age is the enemy, followed closely by maintenance history. The less a car is driven the less it shows its true reliability and has things sorted. Things get expensive quickly with Porsches, and Turbos add another dimension.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never had a P Turbo so don't really know what I'm talking about but wouldn't the extra maintanance relate to the turbocharger and its ancillaries only - all else being equal?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

dave I think there is also a function relating to the additional weight (typically 150-200kg) of the trubo, plus the heat and the additional wear and tear on suspension, brakes, gearbox, clutch,shocks etc created by the increased torque/acceleration. Specific arts for older turbos will be more expensive and potentially harder to find due to the smaller numbers they were built in. Im not sure how many kms John has done on the 964T but suspect around 1000km for each year he has owned it and although his ownership costs have been fairly modest I suspect if you averaged a group of turbo owners running costs over a period or time and averaged the mileage the cost of maintenance per Km/year over say a 10 year 20k km type calculation you would find the cost of ownership per Km perhaps 30-50% higher than a compatible atmpo engined model of the same vintage for similar usage...track work aside!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

dave I think there is also a function relating to the additional weight (typically 150-200kg) of the trubo, plus the heat and the additional wear and tear on suspension, brakes, gearbox, clutch,shocks etc created by the increased torque/acceleration. Specific arts for older turbos will be more expensive and potentially harder to find due to the smaller numbers they were built in. Im not sure how many kms John has done on the 964T but suspect around 1000km for each year he has owned it and although his ownership costs have been fairly modest I suspect if you averaged a group of turbo owners running costs over a period or time and averaged the mileage the cost of maintenance per Km/year over say a 10 year 20k km type calculation you would find the cost of ownership per Km perhaps 30-50% higher than a compatible atmpo engined model of the same vintage for similar usage...track work aside!
I bought mine at 71,000km in October 2001 and have now done 105,000km. So 34,000km in 13 years. 2,600 per annum. However it was effectively in storage for 8 of those years so 6,800 per year. During that time it has been exceedingly reliable. I had a relay go in the Turbo Control Unit but otherwise it just runs. Someday I should attend to the minor engine oil links but I figure it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. Too much plumbing to risk something going wrong.

The Turbo 3.6 is a pig on commuting petrol consumption but otherwise is actually a better commuter than the C4. You can run the car in second an not change gears if you don't want to.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ooops. Stand corrected. 2600 pa.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ooops. Stand corrected. 2600 pa.
Not a lot, but all good memories. I have reached parking deadlock at home now. As soon as the scaffolding goes I can get the Green Machine out of the entrance and run Herman and the Turbo 3.6.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Just in the nick of time to get Herman ready for NITT. This time in 1 week we will be tearing up the back roads of the central North island en route to Taupo!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?