Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Agree the R is going to be one of those that becomes too valuable - probably bigger premium than gt3 or RS

re turbo gt3 I would think 1 more generation of NA and in the meantime the technology of turbo will also improve Less lag, more power from a smaller engine, and maybe better energy harvesting/recovery with less weight penalty which will overcome the loss of NA sharpness.

Agree with that. Things are definitely changing at Porsche and recent issues have probably meant revision of future road maps. However the next few years evolution will already be in the pipeline and the unknowns remain (mostly rule changes in future WEC & series that might require homlogating another engine). The most anticipated milestone in this debate will be running the 9A1 derivative in Motorsport in 2016. This program is already a season later than pundits originally anticipated...
Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Buba. All you say is good. But when it comes to design and detail - Dave has "queer eye for the straight guy" like Macca.

Been through it all my life.

Conclusion = you cant ever expect a person who doesn't suffer from the affliction t understand what it is like to live with the affliction.

Dont get me wrong - there are upsides. I have good taste in shoes and dont listen to crap music ha ha.

I built 5-6 houses up here. Average person doesnt even notice a wall that isnt rendered to a perfect 90 crease corner. I walk up to a wall and within 30m I can tell its not right and it bugs the Sh*t out of me for ever more.

For people like Dave and Macca its hard. Do it right or struggle with it not being quite what you hoped it would be.

There are three great savoys for the perfectionist = age:

Older - you mellow with time and let things go
Eyesight - you loose close vision so not lnger stress about small scratches yu cant see without glasses.
Alzheimer - this one needs no explanation.

Some people are busy running through life and some people just spend all their time drinking in the details (if they are very lucky they may even make a living from it). Being inflicted by aestheticism in this world is tough unless you have lucky enough to be wealthy or have a family stipend. Modern life forces a balance. Managing the balance is the clue to sanity for these creative type folk.
I reckon the trouble is that there is no middle ground. With a 911 it has to be perfect or fabulously patina'd.
The ultimate for me is a worn and dog eared straight car that is mechanically enhanced, in A1 order, and fits you like a glove.
This doesn't exist so a fresh resto is the reset point to eventually get to that ultimate car.
Geting the elements of a fresh resto balanced is impossible unless it is all new gear, can't have old fittings on new paint etc.
That's the part that drives me nuts. It's all or nothing.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca. I heard you had good taste in loafers?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:47 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I reckon the trouble is that there is no middle ground. With a 911 it has to be perfect or fabulously patina'd.
The ultimate for me is a worn and dog eared straight car that is mechanically enhanced, in A1 order, and fits you like a glove.
This doesn't exist so a fresh resto is the reset point to eventually get to that ultimate car.
Geting the elements of a fresh resto balanced is impossible unless it is all new gear, can't have old fittings on new paint etc.
That's the part that drives me nuts. It's all or nothing.
I dunno about that - of course no accounting for personal preference, taste etc. Mine is fresh paint, engine, wheels etc. But glass is original, door mirror old, period used Momo Prototipo (not replica), dash old but refurbished, chrome around windows show some marks, heater controls not refurbished so all these showing plenty of patina. It will be interesting to see what you think after festival
Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Getting the elements of a fresh resto balanced is impossible unless it is all new gear, can't have old fittings on new paint etc. That's the part that drives me nuts. It's all or nothing.
It isn't easy e.g. despite the cost, putting new indicators next to fresh GPW paint was the right decision for me. I did save some money though, I fitted new lenses to the indicators instead of new units. The centre reflector is brand new as a comparison.

Sorry Paul, I ran out of time to fit the bumper, it has a lot more parts than I expected to have to deal with.
Attached Images      
Old 12-16-2015, 04:24 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Herman's looking great John.

By way of contrast

Last edited by pcarplayer; 12-16-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Happens all the time

Last edited by pcarplayer; 12-16-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Happens all the time
It does with a water cooled car... Reckon I can get away with WET911 as a plate?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
It does with a water cooled car... Reckon I can get away with WET911 as a plate?
Seen MKUWET out and about so why not Jake. Can think of better 911 ones though. That is unless you run water injection on yours, and boost it to 750HP+, in which case it that plate is ace!

FWIW I own a PP but never fitted it as the upside of wearing an easily memorable plate wasn't that clear to me.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Seen MKUWET out and about so why not Jake. Can think of better 911 ones though. That is unless you run water injection on yours, and boost it to 750HP+, in which case it that plate is ace!

FWIW I own a PP but never fitted it as the upside of wearing an easily memorable plate wasn't that clear to me.
I have to agree. Ive have PP plate on 993 for 16 years but if I ever sold that car the plate would go with it. I held the two digit investment plate on the GT3 for 13 years. I like the symmetry but agree its too easy to spot PP plates on the road. And I like driving on the road :-). I therefore personally wouldn't bother moving froward (but I wouldnt use a NZ sized plate either - these really dont work well IM with anything from 964 up).

I like bread Warwick so those shoes work for me!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I've ummed and ahhed over a PP for ages. Always seem to find something else on the car to spend the dosh...
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I've ummed and ahhed over a PP for ages. Always seem to find something else on the car to spend the dosh...
Tempted Warwick...
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tempted Warwick...
$35 spent on a banner is cheaper.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Tempted Warwick...
Great idea. Don't believe its still avail

Originally Posted by John McM
$35 spent on a banner is cheaper.
Sorry. Blasphemous. I took the banner Jason had on off. It was making me feel claustrophobic. I know. I'm a freak
Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One for the 964's
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?