Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That said it would be obstruction free and almost 100% impossible to hit anything one would hope.
Now you've gone and put the mocker on it!

Last time I drifted around the sweeper in the wet it went great until I had to straighten at the end and there was no more grip left. A few spins later I was on the grass and it went downhill from there

It'd be OK if you had the water truck and a dry border all around, but if it's a wet day then it might be a bit hairy.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're planning to do, or the speeds involved?

In any case, I'd be interested.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
He does and there's some healthy competition to be top dog as well. We'll try not to drop any parts around the track.
Probably a good idea. Make mental note to self = when a GT3 and race car driven by Steve R sit on your tail for a lap in the integra it's not because you are a really fast driver but because something is very wrong with your car and they are holding back in anticipation of a part flying off....:-)
Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Now you've gone and put the mocker on it! Last time I drifted around the sweeper in the wet it went great until I had to straighten at the end and there was no more grip left. A few spins later I was on the grass and it went downhill from there It'd be OK if you had the water truck and a dry border all around, but if it's a wet day then it might be a bit hairy. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're planning to do, or the speeds involved? In any case, I'd be interested.
Sounds like you would ace it given previous practice?

The water idea came up only to lower the co efficient of friction so less speed is needed for the same effect I think. I just want to play with slip angles minimising possible damage to others and myself. I see a large ash felt or concrete car park suitable if clean, flat, vast and unoccupied...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

May be this winter the RSG should consider going here:

http://www.shpg.co.nz/

Tim
Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
May be this winter the RSG should consider going here: http://www.shpg.co.nz/ Tim
Bloody brilliant that is!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
8k - 8 people = $1k each... Not to bad for a full day with instructors and a whole lot of learning.

The up side is that on a damp/wet track tyres will hold up ok too.

I will ask the Renault people if they will share the contact for the expo centre as an alternative too. I can also help on some of the organising Macca.

Agree on the safety side of things, will be pretty hard to have a mishap if we plan it well. Insurance won't be necessary.
I too am interested in the Expo centre for PCNZ events??

I can give you all the ambo, marshal contacts etc. as I have them for when I prepare the sprint days.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racoguy
Some more parts collected for the 64, another set of SP5 carbon seats on their way down under.
I had a custom set of Cobra Classic RS but after seeing Macca's seats I was sold on Carbon ones
so sold the others and put my order in, black leather with back suede inserts.
Got any photos of the seats... I'm after some nice carbon race seats. Where are you getting them?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, but how long do you think Paul will spend out there when it's open slather? Until he beats Chris M's time or breaks BB he's not coming in. Just a wild guess on my part
BB is available for anyone to use.

I can no longer make the track day due to new work committments, but will come down at the end of the day to say hi.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I'm going to need a go or two as well so I can pad my lead a bit. Not comfortable with Paul breathing down my neck - leggings or no leggings!
^^^ we still need to disucss the weight penality to be added to your times (with you being 30kg's lighter than me).

Isn't the rule of thumb that every 100kg's = 1 sec, so I reckon 0.3 sec needs to be added to a 'Mendes time'................
Old 04-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Got any photos of the seats... I'm after some nice carbon race seats. Where are you getting them?
Sorry not a great photo of them in my 993 as I don't keep many pictures on this device. I'll try post more tomorrow....
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Chris let me know what you find out on the expo thing.

$1K a head may be a bit rich for RSGers as our average track day cost approx $200 a head and most do around 12 days a year if you include bi annual SITT & annual NITT. Its half a years entry fee budget for the average punter. That said market economics will speak and 8 slots isnt many to fill.

Id be keen to discuss further with you in person on 28th. Thanks for the offer to help mate.
Yeah fair enough, it is expensive. I'd still be keen one day.

I've put the word out on the expo car park... Will see if anything comes back. If nothing, it can't be hard to track down the right people anyway. Talk more on the 28th...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
May be this winter the RSG should consider going here:

http://www.shpg.co.nz/

Tim
Is that at the top of the Race to the Sky road? Looks like a lot of fun... Although I'm sure that snow is harder than it looks... The banks that is!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Sorry not a great photo of them in my 993 as I don't keep many pictures on this device. I'll try post more tomorrow....
Are they oem? They look nice. I'm definitely keen to get some nice buckets in the R. Any details of where to start looking is appreciated. Cheers
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No they aren't OEM. They were meant to be a low cost experiment before finding a set of correct vintage Recaro Pole position seats which are now like rocking horse poo topped with an icing of Dodo excrement! I actually ended up liking them so much I kept them in the car the last 18000km. If I were looking for seats for the more modern R I'd probably turn to newer offerings from Recar or Sparco but John may be more up to date with options than I...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Are they oem? They look nice. I'm definitely keen to get some nice buckets in the R. Any details of where to start looking is appreciated. Cheers
I've always liked the GT2 carbon buckets, but they're difficult to find and, according to Suncoast, don't fit a modern Porsche. Is there not a modern factory option (from the GT3RS perhaps)?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?