Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder what he's replaced/replacing it with? http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ly-huge-amount
Old 06-08-2015, 10:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by savantx
Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience in fitting a rear facing baby capsule in the back of a 996 (Turbo)? I need to get a "maternity" car for my wife and a tiptronic 996 Turbo would be my preferred option. I've read around here with mixed outcome, CCS says I should fit one in the front which is not recommended.
I mean this in the nicest possible way, you are on a hiding to nothing here if you choose a 911 Coupe of any type as a maternity car.

1. Getting the baby in and out will drive her nuts - you will suffer later that day.

2. She will have more limited access than normal to check on the baby while driving - you will suffer later that day.

3. The rear of a coupe is hot under the sun and will annoy the baby unless its eyes are shielded - you will suffer later that day.

4. The car won't cart the stuff a baby needs - you will suffer later that day.

5. She can't take a friend and another baby on trips - you will suffer later that day.

6. The rear wheels on a turbo challenge some peoples distance and depth perception - the car will suffer.

There is a reason so many people in this situation choose SUVs is that they work with families. Been there done that with a baby seat in the Turbo 3.6. Just my two cents worth.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 PM
savantx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John McM
I mean this in the nicest possible way, you are on a hiding to nothing here if you choose a 911 Coupe of any type as a maternity car.

1. Getting the baby in and out will drive her nuts - you will suffer later that day.

2. She will have more limited access than normal to check on the baby while driving - you will suffer later that day.

3. The rear of a coupe is hot under the sun and will annoy the baby unless its eyes are shielded - you will suffer later that day.

5. She can't take a friend and another baby on trips - you will suffer later that day.

6. The rear wheels on a turbo challenge some peoples distance and depth perception - the car will suffer.

There is a reason so many people in this situation choose SUVs is that they work with families. Been there done that with a baby seat in the Turbo 3.6. Just my two cents worth.
You make some fair points here. We have been talking about trying it without getting a car so it was really a just in case car. She will get another company car when she goes back to work. I also have the blue collar SUV (VW Amarok) which we can use in weekends.

I think you are probably right though and need to check out Cayennes, I was just trying to avoid something that would plummet in value over the next 12-18 months.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Wonder what he's replaced/replacing it with? http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ly-huge-amount
How about:

a house on Lake Garda in Italy with a jetty and a vintage Riviera lake boat out front, a Ferrari 458 Speciale in the garage for blasting the passes in summer and a Cayenne Turbo for general site seeing

plus

a three bedroom apartment in Chealsea with a Ranger rover SVR for doing the shopping and a Lotus for weekds at the track

Plus a house in Queenstown overlooking the lake with a GT3 out at the lock up at Highlands (private membership) and a Macan S to get the groceries

PLus a 5MM NZD term deposit on a negotiated rate to pay the overheads, airfares, fuel and food bill...

Not a bad problem to have really is it! I wonder what it would have sold for after two crashes requiring a replacement CF monoque if the long terms owners name wasnt Roan Atkinson?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savantx
I think you are probably right though and need to check out Cayennes, I was just trying to avoid something that would plummet in value over the next 12-18 months.
We bought our 2005 Cayenne S on Christmas Eve 2014 (the date probably helped with the negotiation) with 98,000 km for $26,500.

We were comfortable buying it as CCS had the history and it had already had the coolant pipes and starter motor done.

However, it's still a crap shoot with a 10-year old car that cost $170,000 brand new. 7,500km later and we have spent $380 on a set of pads.

These are big cars, but absolutely brilliant for long distance travelling and towing etc. I'm not so sure I would want to park it daily in supermarkets etc.

BTW: The Car was previously sold for $50,000 in 2012. That owner did the coolant pipes and starter motor as well. Ask him and he'd probably say it's the biggest dog he'd ever owned. On the other hand we are very happy so far. If you go this route, try for a similar deal, older model with lowish km. Don't buy the smaller engine version. Our neighbour had one and said it was grossly underpowered.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just spit my coffee all over my desk, John. Thanks.

My ultimate fun and baby hauler has to be a GTI, heck chip it, get a used Golf R or an R32. Tackles everything in John's list, can almost keep up with 911's on windy roads (especially an R) and in all likely hood you'll only find ones with wheels already curbed. Bonus.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I just spit my coffee all over my desk, John. Thanks.

My ultimate fun and baby hauler has to be a GTI, heck chip it, get a used Golf R or an R32. Tackles everything in John's list, can almost keep up with 911's on windy roads (especially an R) and in all likely hood you'll only find ones with wheels already curbed. Bonus.
I do recall hanging back occasionally to make sure you weren't lost...

As for kerbed wheels, Donna's car had all four done when she bought it. How do you kerb all four? PO was female but I'm not linking gender and kerbing.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Chris, have you studied for that test yet? You need to pass. Just reminding you. Failure is not an option.

If there are any translation issues:

tyre not tire
footpath not pavement
colour not color
grey not gray
aluminium not aluminum
headlights not hooters
Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
How about:

a house on Lake Garda in Italy with a jetty and a vintage Riviera lake boat out front, a Ferrari 458 Speciale in the garage for blasting the passes in summer and a Cayenne Turbo for general site seeing

plus

a three bedroom apartment in Chealsea with a Ranger rover SVR for doing the shopping and a Lotus for weekds at the track

Plus a house in Queenstown overlooking the lake with a GT3 out at the lock up at Highlands (private membership) and a Macan S to get the groceries

PLus a 5MM NZD term deposit on a negotiated rate to pay the overheads, airfares, fuel and food bill...

Not a bad problem to have really is it! I wonder what it would have sold for after two crashes requiring a replacement CF monoque if the long terms owners name wasnt Roan Atkinson?
Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Similar colour to the F1 someone had their 997 GT2 out today doing the shopping run at the Johnsonville Mall today. Not your everyday grocery getter!

Would have been interesting to see what is would've fetched without Rowan. So too will interesting to see what # 076 fetches at auction http://www.rmauctions.com/mo15/monte...ing-lm/1076046
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I do recall hanging back occasionally to make sure you weren't lost...

As for kerbed wheels, Donna's car had all four done when she bought it. How do you kerb all four? PO was female but I'm not linking gender and kerbing.
Me too. To make sure you all weren't lost ;-P

Luke, that's one very interesting shopping cart. I've only ever seen black & silver in 997 GT2 in NZ so nice to see theres a different colour out there, one with a cage too. Great looking car IMO and a future classic (RS version already sky high). Looks like Amaranth Red Metallic which was offered on the 991 GT3 first year or production too. Interesting to see the clear film hasnt aged well. Dont get me started on clear film, Im no longer a fan of the stuff!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Me too. To make sure you all weren't lost!
Must have been so close that I was in your blind spot....
Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Must have been so close that I was in your blind spot
That must be it....makes sense as I watch my in car footage from that weekend (which picks up my passenger side mirror) and I always feel so lonely...Its a big blind spot!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:46 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

In the perfect world Id live in a massive warehouse with a mezzanne floor looking down on 4-5 choice automotive icons, a large downstairs kitchen with a workshop and big screen and have couriers drop off stuff to me. I would venture out for drives, track days and to visit others in their man caves or at cafes and I would never stop in a Mall again.
Snap
Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 AM
PHG
Racer

Bet your old man taught you that trick for taking a few tenths on the front straight aye Phil :-) The Gilbert advantage Im sure they called it! Old Jim Clark probably would have found that funny...

I have just pre ordered the new book on the Tasman series from Octane Books. Pic below. It has race results etc. I'm sure there will be a few mentions of Len in there. looking forward to it!
That should be a good read Mark.. somewhere we still have the yearly glossy book of each Tasman series. Photos by Euan Sarginson. I carried his camera(s) at Puke a couple of years.
I guess this is a rewrite of those?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

That must be it....makes sense as I watch my in car footage from that weekend (which picks up my passenger side mirror) and I always feel so lonely...Its a big blind spot!
It's a pity neither of us had footage of the run back from Helena Bay Cafe. That would have been one for the memories.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?