Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Good idea Paul. But a carte blanche "you must do an approved driving course" and I'm out. Happy to support Prestigo but past track experience must not be discounted by them in favour of mandating a driving course.
I guess you and I will be running uninsured, not that I think either of us have been insured anyway over the last two or so years. Maybe we'll get our own group.

As an aside I don't think Prestigio insure cars hit by their insured so there is still an element of risk. Do we carry our own costs if we are taken out by some one else's adventurous driving?
Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I guess you and I will be running uninsured, not that I think either of us have been insured anyway over the last two or so years. Maybe we'll get our own group.

As an aside I don't think Prestigio insure cars hit by their insured so there is still an element of risk. Do we carry our own costs if we are taken out by some one else's adventurous driving?
I guess so, it is drivers risk. Hopefully as a group we have our driving standards nailed.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its quite clearly stated in their policy they will not cover damage to another vehicle and neither would I expect them to do so.

I was uninsured for the first Targa and few track days I did unaware at the time that cover was available via Prestigio. Personally if I wasnt:
a) running the GT3 on the track and
b) already over my "self insured excess" being totally uninsured for the recent damage and loss of income from Cyclone PAM (pocket = big ouch!!)

I probably would be much less sensitive to it too. You guys have been fine so far and will be fine on the 28th. We are running well selected groups for the first few hours then freestyle (wear it will think out alot in any case) for the lastfew hours and never will their be more than 15 cars on track at any one time....
Old 04-19-2015, 04:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I guess so, it is drivers risk. Hopefully as a group we have our driving standards nailed.
The core group, yes, but we've got new to track people and some ex racers turning up in 991GT3s so I'll be adapting accordingly. The speed differential with some is too high, especially if they have their race face on.

Just over a week to go. Can't wait. Please arrange dry weather for my return to NZ.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The core group, yes, but we've got new to track people and some ex racers turning up in 991GT3s so I'll be adapting accordingly. The speed differential with some is too high, especially if they have their race face on.

Just over a week to go. Can't wait. Please arrange dry weather for my return to NZ.
John. Pete will communicate to the group shortly with the format for the day. You will not have an issue with past PCNZ winners zipping by in GT3s as you will not be in the same group with them. Same goes for newbies.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:05 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winners!

Congratulations Pete and Chris! In my experience it can be hard work and perseverance just to make it to a race some weekends so your success is well deserved.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 AM
cliffjumper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had experience with claims, but I'm insured with Swann. I've had classic motorbike policies with them for a few years and they're highly regarded in that community.

The perks I have noted with Swann is the cover on most track days (regardless of driver experience) and no limit on kms per year.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Well done mate. Kudos to you. Great piloting. Sounds like wet is your thing!
Thanks Macca. I love the wet but I wasn't Peter Perfect. What's wrong with this picture?:

Name:  Hi guys.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  58.4 KB

ChrisB and Pete - we'll done on the silverware!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by 996tnz
What's wrong with this picture?:
Attachment 929338
Clearly everyone else is going the wrong way!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Clearly everyone else is going the wrong way!
Yeah, I forgot to tell them we'd be running lap 8 clockwise
Old 04-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Thanks for the responses on insurance/trg. I spoke to Victoria at Prestigio and she was pretty adamant it had to be a formal 'course' not an approved instructor at a track/playday. On the plus side she indicated you didn't need to redo the training annually just get regular time at the track to keep you current every year. Wonder if downforce or Mike can lean on them a bit.
Yeah that sounds about right, I got signed off years ago, but because I've done some track days and a targa tour annually, they extend cover, just becomes an issue if you havn't done anything for more than 12 months.

I spoke with Mike Eady today, he also said they are preferring 'courses' over instructors at play days, it's so that they know and approve the agenda of what has been covered off, then the instructor just either passes or fails you on that criteria.

If you want more details, contact Mike at tracktime.co.nz he's a nice guy and super helpful.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

look like you were a bit lucky Walter
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly Taupo has numerous complications. One of which being the fact the land is a mix of freehold and leasehold. Would be nice to be involved in a track but probably a smaller scale one like the old Taupo was best.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
look like you were a bit lucky Walter
Yes Graeme. I only spun the once (some others many more times, and many of course not at all) but it was with a pack up my chuff in the reverse grid race. No damage beyond track position. Haven't checked my rear camera yet and one or two may have slipped by behind me as well but 9 cars got by in 10 secs out front. Overall it cost me about 20 secs of race time I'd say.

Damn near caught it and it was a bit ironic as I drove a much tidier race in that second (reverse grid) race. I had no other spins or off track excursions all day in the 1hr20 odd of qualifying and racing but was a bit loose in the first race. The 7.5-8.5 hours of super wet travelling down and back had no moments either of course..

Qualiifying/practice groups were based on series points and with BB2 having missed some races she was put in the Slow practice, but qualified second in group and got moved up into Fast for the races. Race 1 we finished 18th from P22, out of 30 on the grid, putting us on P13 for the reverse grid. That spin was costly but we eventually caught the pack up again and won back five or so places to finish 21st. Looking at the elapsed race times, without those 20 seconds lost we'd likely have finished mid-field.

Ray Williams took a well deserved win from that same race as he got T-boned at the end of the straight last time out.

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-19-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Not to put a downer on things, but puts all this insurance talk into context.
at the track today an Audi RS4 (latest shape) must have lost it and hit the wall off the end of the sweeper. I didn't see it happen but noticed it 'parked' awkwardly off to the side and then saw them winching it onto a trailer at the end of the day? Didn't look to major, but left headlight all the way back to the rear qtr panel was shall we say 'rippled'.

Reality bites!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?