Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I wouldn't personally circulate uninsured as the financial hit would be unmanageable. So while I would have preferred to not have to spend the $$ on an official driver training course (and would have rather done it in a rear engine car!), the asking price was a no brainer for someone in my position (new to spirited driving of a sports car) before taking it out at the track.

In the end it's as much about removing an element of stress to allow me to enjoy it more, as it is management of a financial risk.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive often jested with John that the cheapest modification he could make to Herman to win a second o more at HD would be an insurance policy!

There is a good and bad side to this. When I was uninsured I took it easier. Now insured I probably drive harder...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I feel its necessary to qualify Pauls statements in order that folk on here and attending the event on the 28th do not freak out, as I feel the comments are a tad alarmist.

Just saying thats all. This doesnt have to be a dangerous sport. Depends on your discipline and if you are the competitive type etc.

Its not an undertaking without risk, but I d not think the odds are 50% you will have an incident leading to damage to your vehicle. Probably more like 15% over time.

:-)
As Macca says, accidents can happen (and have) but the biggest determinant of risk is whoever is in the driver's seat, and it's up to me whether I drive at 7/10ths or at 9.7/10ths.

Think I've still been to every Sprint meet since I got my car, bar one where it didn't come back from servicing in time. Who knows, I may have dodged a bullet with that one as that was the wet meet last year. But life without (considered) risk is not life. Besides, I reckon I owe it to Ferry to give her a burst every now and again...
Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I wouldn't personally circulate uninsured as the financial hit would be unmanageable. So while I would have preferred to not have to spend the $$ on an official driver training course (and would have rather done it in a rear engine car!), the asking price was a no brainer for someone in my position (new to spirited driving of a sports car) before taking it out at the track.

In the end it's as much about removing an element of stress to allow me to enjoy it more, as it is management of a financial risk.
Great approach, and more disciplined than mine. Within a month or two of getting the yellow terror I'd done a CCS performance driver training day and had immediately run in my first Sprints.

The one thing I don't understand is why more people don't rock up to the Gymkhanas. It doesn't get much faster or more furious than slashing around those cones, it's about the cheapest day you'll have in your car, accident risk is near zero, and you'll learn and practice car control skills that will (usually ) serve you very well on road and track.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris. Great stuff. You are using Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 correct?

If so those tyres should be good enough to get you into the late 1.15s with the cars modifications. Youll need to play with the pressures on them. It can make a big difference and may explain why they were going "off" earlier. Youll find 8 psi change on the track for those so will need to target 4psi under manufacturers recommendation on first session then start dropping them from there. The experience of myself (20") and other GT3 owners is you need to target around 30-32 hot at front and 34-36 Hot at rear but that will differ a little for the cayman on 19". Im sure US Rennlisters who track frequently will give you some advice.

I think you did well for your first time out on that platform. You will find the time drops quickly into the 18s by the end of the 28th and then it will take time and laps to get it into the 16s and beyond. That being said Ive done only three days at HD so probably not the best guy to talk about it LOL!
I was using some Pirelli p zero 19" street tyres

Your right, they were at spec 31lb cold and heated up to 40lb, then dropped them back to 35lb for my last session, it helped.

I really would like to be on my Pirelli tropheo R 18" for the 28th, just to feel the difference.

I reckon there's got to be at least 2-3sec in honing my skills let along the tyre differential of probably another 2sec... So yeah after time and practice that 1:15 might be an achievable goal.

Couldn't fault the car, beautiful. Some better seats and harnesses are on my list though as I didn't feel locked into the sports seats... Anyone know of any Porsche buckets going?

Bring on the 28th.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
FWIW Using an AIM Solo is a great way to get objective data. As you get closer to your optimal time it helps narrow down where you can improve. For me it's turn 1 and the Sweeper.
Yeah keen to take a look at what data the Aim solo produces and how to interpret it... But they seem good value on the surface.

Interestingly for me it's probably the hairpins at HD that I felt I could improve the most, T1 and the sweeper felt ok.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Great approach, and more disciplined than mine. Within a month or two of getting the yellow terror I'd done a CCS performance driver training day and had immediately run in my first Sprints.

The one thing I don't understand is why more people don't rock up to the Gymkhanas. It doesn't get much faster or more furious than slashing around those cones, it's about the cheapest day you'll have in your car, accident risk is near zero, and you'll learn and practice car control skills that will (usually ) serve you very well on road and track.
When are these Sprint meets and Gymkhanas? Are they PCNZ events?

What's the just of the sprints?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Yeah keen to take a look at what data the Aim solo produces and how to interpret it... But they seem good value on the surface.

Interestingly for me it's probably the hairpins at HD that I felt I could improve the most, T1 and the sweeper felt ok.
Here is an old example of Pete and Tony at HD. They were both driving the same car. The peak close to the beginning is Vmax on the main straight. Thereafter you can follow each corner.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
When are these Sprint meets and Gymkhanas? Are they PCNZ events?

What's the just of the sprints?
Yes, PCNZ events. The gist of the sprints is a two car two lap race around HD with all but the initial lap being timed. It isn't wheel to wheel racing as one car can back offf or take off in the first lap before the timer starts.

23May - Gymkhana
25 July - Sprints
15 August - Sprints
30 August - Gymkhana

All at HD
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ive often jested with John that the cheapest modification he could make to Herman to win a second o more at HD would be an insurance policy!

There is a good and bad side to this. When I was uninsured I took it easier. Now insured I probably drive harder...
With all of the spare 'Island' time I've been reading a book on driving. It's scary how much I didn't know. That and a lot of practice at GT6 combined with real tuition should get me going that little bit faster. Not to mention the new engine management system.

The only thing now is to have the discipline to put the road tyres on if it's wet. What will Lola do? That's the big question....
Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996tnz
As Macca says, accidents can happen (and have) but the biggest determinant of risk is whoever is in the driver's seat, and it's up to me whether I drive at 7/10ths or at 9.7/10ths. Think I've still been to every Sprint meet since I got my car, bar one where it didn't come back from servicing in time. Who knows, I may have dodged a bullet with that one as that was the wet meet last year. But life without (considered) risk is not life. Besides, I reckon I owe it to Ferry to give her a burst every now and again...
Yep, that's the bullet I caught. Lack of experience and over confidence with Lola's grip in the wet got me aqua planing. Expensive lesson learned.

PCNZ sprints being timed events (aka racing) are not covered by Prestigio. However PCNZ regularity trials are able to be covered. Same with skid pan / gymkhanas.

With all of the spare 'Island' time I've been reading a book on driving. It's scary how much I didn't know. That and a lot of practice at GT6 combined with real tuition should get me going that little bit faster. Not to mention the new engine management system. The only thing now is to have the discipline to put the road tyres on if it's wet. What will Lola do? That's the big question....
You have nothing to fear from Lola John. I plan to take it pretty easy to get back into the groove and preserve the car.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel its necessary to qualify Pauls statements in order that folk on here and attending the event on the 28th do not freak out, as I feel the comments are a tad alarmist.

I count four accidents over two years in RSG track outings from a core group of say 25 participants who regularly attend meetings (usually 15 per track day). 16%. I wont name the incidents but those who have been in attendance since Jan 2013 will know.

I count a further two accidents happening at PCNZ speed series events.

Paul, you yourself have been uninsured for 6 figures+ on at least 3 occasions I can think of including my own car & Neils GT3. Probable a dozen times if you include others in "cheaper" cars. To the best of my knowledge you have circulated HD more than anyone in our group without a single accident!

Just saying thats all. This doesnt have to be a dangerous sport. Depends on your discipline and if you are the competitive type etc.

Its not an undertaking without risk, but I d not think the odds are 50% you will have an incident leading to damage to your vehicle. Probably more like 15% over time.

:-)
Sorry dude - I didn't mean to sound alarmist - 50% is a bit high..........

I drove Neil's car like a nana (1.26's).

I've blown an engine instead of crashing, still a $20K bill, and there are a few of these (not sure if we include JMc's own goal)..........

And there there is Tony M - not RSG but was on the NITT.

P.s. I said Russian Roulette - which is 16% chance (which your maths validate).

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-20-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:56 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

All this talk of insurance, I wonder what the cost would be to insure a P1 for the road, let alone the track? Segue into another Chris Harris video (apologies if it has been posted already): http://youtu.be/9VQ3ROolkyU
Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Moochier
Instructor

With all of the spare 'Island' time I've been reading a book on driving. It's scary how much I didn't know. That and a lot of practice at GT6 combined with real tuition should get me going that little bit faster. Not to mention the new engine management system.

The only thing now is to have the discipline to put the road tyres on if it's wet. What will Lola do? That's the big question....
What the book John?

I've just preordered this
HTML Code:
http://www.projectcarsgame.com
Hope it's good!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sorry dude - I didn't mean to sound alarmist - 50% is a bit high..........

I drove Neil's car like a nana (1.26's).

I've blown an engine instead of crashing, still a $20K bill, and there are a few of these (not sure if we include JMc's own goal)..........

And there there is Tony M - not RSG but was on the NITT.

P.s. I said Russian Roulette - which is 16% chance (which your maths validate).
Yeah engine aka 'own goal' was expensive. $6,500 donation to the the Steve R retirement fund and another $6,500 to the Giltrap fund via CCS. Thing is with out that work I don't think I could have done the last two years. There were so many other things wrong with Herman it would have been a death of a thousand cuts.

Red Snapper followed by Creme Brûlée. All is good with my world so I forget the hard times

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?