Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How did you enjoy your first track day in the Cayman R? Looking forward to seeing one of these in the flesh on the track later this month. I'm sure it will be very quick.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yeah, I forgot to tell them we'd be running lap 8 clockwise
Walter, the 2kcup forum site has a couple of posted videos from Roman. No doubt you will feature in the second one. Just to add to the perspectives.

I have won a Tardme auction for a pair of DC2 driveshafts. $141. We can use one on the Grinch and keep the other as a spare. Is there any work to do on BB2? I will likely have some time this weekend when I get home to do some work as Herman is already ready for the track.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 PM
sp1ked
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macca. I love the wet but I wasn't Peter Perfect. What's wrong with this picture?:

Attachment 929338

ChrisB and Pete - we'll done on the silverware!
Good placing in Race 1 Walter. Was this Race 2?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
How did you enjoy your first track day in the Cayman R? Looking forward to seeing one of these in the flesh on the track later this month. I'm sure it will be very quick.
Great first drive thanks Macca. I only got 3 sessions as I ran a bit late getting there, but each session was an improvement on the previous. Car is very balanced and confidence inspiring. Best time was a 120.8... I wasn't trying to set best times, but would be interested to know what I should be expecting.... I reckon there's another couple of seconds in it given it was my first time in the car. Tyres were the biggest weak point, going off pretty quick in the last session. PDK is very precise, I love manuals but the PDK is so efficient it's hard to deny its purpose. The car sounds great through the Fabspeed headers and exhaust. No action shots to post sorry.

Looking forward to the 28th to get more time behind the wheel and meeting my new internet friends!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Great first drive thanks Macca. I only got 3 sessions as I ran a bit late getting there, but each session was an improvement on the previous. Car is very balanced and confidence inspiring. Best time was a 120.8... I wasn't trying to set best times, but would be interested to know what I should be expecting.... I reckon there's another couple of seconds in it given it was my first time in the car. Tyres were the biggest weak point, going off pretty quick in the last session. PDK is very precise, I love manuals but the PDK is so efficient it's hard to deny its purpose. The car sounds great through the Fabspeed headers and exhaust. No action shots to post sorry.

Looking forward to the 28th to get more time behind the wheel and meeting my new internet friends!
Chris, 964s with track tyres on a perfect driving day are just nudging under 1.20 and thats after a lot of laps. Track tyres would easily take a couple of more seconds off your time. On a perfect day you might see 1.16 without risking life and limb.

FWIW Using an AIM Solo is a great way to get objective data. As you get closer to your optimal time it helps narrow down where you can improve. For me it's turn 1 and the Sweeper.

Last edited by John McM; 04-19-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Walter, the 2kcup forum site has a couple of posted videos from Roman. No doubt you will feature in the second one. Just to add to the perspectives.

I have won a Tardme auction for a pair of DC2 driveshafts. $141. We can use one on the Grinch and keep the other as a spare. Is there any work to do on BB2? I will likely have some time this weekend when I get home to do some work as Herman is already ready for the track.
Lots to learn fro that 2k footage. wet the best for fast experience
Old 04-19-2015, 07:53 PM
sp1ked
Instructor

Originally Posted by sp1ked
Good placing in Race 1 Walter. Was this Race 2?
Oops. Just read that next post that it was.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will check out the vids after work. Thanks also for staying in touch on the day - felt pretty special knowing you were following progress in real time from Samoa.

Under my watch I got her miracle WOFed but I had Simon (her old owner and a 2KCup hotshoe) jump in her on Saturday and confirm that the master cylinder is shot since the pedal sinks to the floor with any sustained pressure. He's a bit of an expert on the problem as he's just replaced the MC in his own Integra after T-boning Ray last time. I should be able to pick a new one up cheap from Partsmaster in Penrose but am probably a better understudy than a mechanic. Or could drop her off to have it done at a garage. Beyond that, some of the lights are playing up - eg I'm indicating but the car isn't. One front and one rear too according to my wife. Not the fuses so could just be bulbs. Was lying under her, feeding the mosquitoes late into Friday night getting that LF engine mount on, but keen to revisit it as I think the proper bolts are still in your garage so I had to scavenge some from elsewhere, including one from the passenger seat. That mount also appears to missing a sleeve, unless they gave me the wrong part. It may be inside that seized one you have?

She was still brilliant to drive and we weren't alone in having issues. Mark Mallard delighted in telling me that he'd had trouble passing me because his car kept going into limp mode - and so each lap he was turning it off and restarting it going into A1 GP corner to clear the fault. Another fast driver had no clutch left and I'm sure there were other stories.

As you know though, one of the best things about Hondas and most 2Kcup cars is how crazy cheap the parts and labour are - often less than a tenth of Porsche prices for parts. And this morning I hopped into the Turbo and for the first time ever it felt like it had a high driving position - after coming from BB2's slammed stance and low set buckets. The bellow of the Turbo's REMUS does more to raise the hairs on my arms, but it's also pretty cool how BB2s exhaust starts buzzing like a mad hornet's nest once she's more than a thousand or two revs into the VTEC. Oh no, I'm probably in desperate need of some boy racer anti-serum...
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

haha Walter you are a boy racer ..... just a little more mature if that's the word. Don't we all think 25 was yesterday??
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Will check out the vids after work.
Just snuck a peek at them with lunch. Here's the view from behind (well in front by then actually):
Name:  SpinTaupo.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  98.5 KB

In Roman's race 2 vid, I'm in the black Integra 4 cars ahead of him at 9:11 (notice the gratuitous Porsche content just for Macca), and directly in front of him at my spin just under two laps later.

As you can see from the lap before the oops, I was dicing over several laps with a couple of 2L cars - Peter in the silver 2L FTO and Richard (who finished 2nd and 3rd that day) in his Peugeot 205. Roman finished 5th in both, so pretty fast company.

I was looking to get a good line onto the straight to catch them both back again (as I had the lap prior) and gave her a light brush of brake alongside the throttle in an effort to tighten the line slightly and get a better exit. Didn't quite get away with it obviously.

Roman's vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0t1CBJMs1E#t=775
Old 04-19-2015, 10:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Will check out the vids after work. Thanks also for staying in touch on the day - felt pretty special knowing you were following progress in real time from Samoa.

Under my watch I got her miracle WOFed but I had Simon (her old owner and a 2KCup hotshoe) jump in her on Saturday and confirm that the master cylinder is shot since the pedal sinks to the floor with any sustained pressure. He's a bit of an expert on the problem as he's just replaced the MC in his own Integra after T-boning Ray last time. I should be able to pick a new one up cheap from Partsmaster in Penrose but am probably a better understudy than a mechanic. Or could drop her off to have it done at a garage. Beyond that, some of the lights are playing up - eg I'm indicating but the car isn't. One front and one rear too according to my wife. Not the fuses so could just be bulbs. Was lying under her, feeding the mosquitoes late into Friday night getting that LF engine mount on, but keen to revisit it as I think the proper bolts are still in your garage so I had to scavenge some from elsewhere, including one from the passenger seat. That mount also appears to missing a sleeve, unless they gave me the wrong part. It may be inside that seized one you have?

She was still brilliant to drive and we weren't alone in having issues. Mark Mallard delighted in telling me that he'd had trouble passing me because his car kept going into limp mode - and so each lap he was turning it off and restarting it going into A1 GP corner to clear the fault. Another fast driver had no clutch left and I'm sure there were other stories.

As you know though, one of the best things about Hondas and most 2Kcup cars is how crazy cheap the parts and labour are - often less than a tenth of Porsche prices for parts. And this morning I hopped into the Turbo and for the first time ever it felt like it had a high driving position - after coming from BB2's slammed stance and low set buckets. The bellow of the Turbo's REMUS does more to raise the hairs on my arms, but it's also pretty cool how BB2s exhaust starts buzzing like a mad hornet's nest once she's more than a thousand or two revs into the VTEC. Oh no, I'm probably in desperate need of some boy racer anti-serum...
This is just the reality of racing cars at the end of their useful life. Let's try to replace the MC at my place. I can keep BB2 at my place until the next run if no one else puts up their hand.

Next meet is 2/3 May at HD followed by BBQ meet at HD on 3 July from 4-6pm. Then the big one, the Dunlop 800 on 4 July @ HD. We need to get BB suited up. Ideally get her scrutineered at 2/3 May meet so we know she is good for the 800.

Luckily the above fit in with my travel commitments, although I recognise that having raced we are back of the queue for the above meets, except the 800 where everyone should get at least an hour on track.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. Great stuff. You are using Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 correct?

If so those tyres should be good enough to get you into the late 1.15s with the cars modifications. Youll need to play with the pressures on them. It can make a big difference and may explain why they were going "off" earlier. Youll find 8 psi change on the track for those so will need to target 4psi under manufacturers recommendation on first session then start dropping them from there. The experience of myself (20") and other GT3 owners is you need to target around 30-32 hot at front and 34-36 Hot at rear but that will differ a little for the cayman on 19". Im sure US Rennlisters who track frequently will give you some advice.

I think you did well for your first time out on that platform. You will find the time drops quickly into the 18s by the end of the 28th and then it will take time and laps to get it into the 16s and beyond. That being said Ive done only three days at HD so probably not the best guy to talk about it LOL!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

This is just the reality of racing cars at the end of their useful life. Let's try to replace the MC at my place. I can keep BB2 at my place until the next run if no one else puts up their hand.
She's back at Paul's again just now (wife commanded - thanks again Paul), but having her at your place might make things easier. Was hard case dropping her off as I couldn't think of better police bait than a stickered up and slammed Integra with half its lights not working, and I'd lost her key so was running half an hour behind the wife and kids who'd gone to run me back. I can help juggle her your way if you want.

We need to get BB suited up. Ideally get her scrutineered at 2/3 May meet so we know she is good for the 800. Luckily the above fit in with my travel commitments, although I recognise that having raced we are back of the queue for the above meets, except the 800 where everyone should get at least an hour on track.
BB2's due for scrutineering again at the next run too as she's been given 2 byes already. I'm not counting on any more race day drives and you're ahead of me in the queue - though I'll look forward to an hour of that enduro. If a car's going to be standing still anyway at another round I'll be there with bells on though. When no-one else wanted to go down this weekend, I even toyed with the idea of trying to get both cars down to Taupo and doubling up on the racing! Must be at the crazy addict stage...

Chris - looking forward to meeting you and your R on the 28th.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to put a downer on things, but puts all this insurance talk into context.

Reality bites!
Like John and others have said, unless you are loaded and won't notice six figures missing from your bank account, don't go to the track uninsured.

It's seriously Russian Roulette (when, not if) as anyone on here who's been to the track over the past few years. I think over track 50% of the regulars on this forum have had a miss-hap.

It is one of the big benefits of Play Days and RSG days over 'real man's' racing

$5K deductible is the least of your worries compared to explaining away a circa $100K (or more) to the missus.......

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-20-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Like John and others have said, unless you are loaded and won't notice six figures missing from our bank account, don't go to the track uninsured.

It's seriously Russian Roulette (when, not if) as anyone on here who's been to the track over the past few years. I think over track 50% of the regulars on this forum have had a miss-hap.

It is one of the big benefits of Play Days and RSG days over 'real man's' racing

$5K deductible is the least of your worries compared to explaining away a circa $100K (or more) to the missus.......
I feel its necessary to qualify Pauls statements in order that folk on here and attending the event on the 28th do not freak out, as I feel the comments are a tad alarmist.

I count four accidents over two years in RSG track outings from a core group of say 25 participants who regularly attend meetings (usually 15 per track day). 16%. I wont name the incidents but those who have been in attendance since Jan 2013 will know.

I count a further two accidents happening at PCNZ speed series events.

Paul, you yourself have been uninsured for 6 figures+ on at least 3 occasions I can think of including my own car & Neils GT3. Probable a dozen times if you include others in "cheaper" cars. To the best of my knowledge you have circulated HD more than anyone in our group without a single accident!

Just saying thats all. This doesnt have to be a dangerous sport. Depends on your discipline and if you are the competitive type etc.

Its not an undertaking without risk, but I d not think the odds are 50% you will have an incident leading to damage to your vehicle. Probably more like 15% over time.

:-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?