Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Now if it was a GT3 I think I'd have no problem letter the 993 go.
Apart from the fact you'd be competing with Paul on the GT3 and he'd have the exact same 993 dilemma.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Apart from the fact you'd be competing with Paul on the GT3 and he'd have the exact same 993 dilemma.
I think he's after a 997 GT3 isn't he? He doesn't want a 996 one they're crap
Old 05-11-2015, 04:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Playing Devil's advocate, having a piece of automotive sculpture in the garage is a luxury when it's not the one getting the use. Been there done that. If there's another Dougie Northland run some day I don't see Paul or any others for that matter bringing their 'sculptures' up, as a first choice. Actually, maybe that could be a focus of a future run.
Sounds like the start of a plan.

Originally Posted by Macca
You have probably hit the nail on the head on both points. If the choice exists, the more modern gear is better suited for sustained dawn raids and long periods of touring. Think SITT (5000km touring 2 up and gear for 2 weeks plus 4-5 full track days and no need for support). If you only have one Porsche then you make it work regardless of compromise. I guess its just the logical improvement of the breed. That being said the idea of an old-timers rally raid is always appealing. They are photogenic and fun.
If everyone is driving an air cooled old timer then it makes sense and sure is fun. Done it before aye John except Cape Reinga was part of the route :-D
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Sounds like the start of a plan. If everyone is driving an air cooled old timer then it makes sense and sure is fun. Done it before aye John except Cape Reinga was part of the route :-D
Yes, you need to to the full tour to earn your wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Dare I say it though there would need to be some strict rules. No track tyres, last minute breakdowns 'requiring' the water pumper to turn up or other dodgy dealings. Break those and you get to ride the Boxster of shame
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Break those and you get to ride the Boxster of shame
Yippee - something else for me to win

Speaking of GT3's, I saw the orange 7.1 car that was at CCS on the road today - seriously nice looking car.............
Old 05-11-2015, 05:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I think he's after a 997 GT3 isn't he? He doesn't want a 996 one they're crap
Cheers James - I will pass on any leads I find so you can take one for the team........

Learn to embrace 'fried eggs'
Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

James - you need to take this opportunity to correct the error of your ways, see the light....... (and buy a 964..........)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
James - you need to take this opportunity to correct the error of your ways, see the light....... (and buy a 964..........)
There's a few 964's I'd sell for and none of them likely in my budget or likely to be available. I actually quite like the RUF BTR4 in Wellington mainly due to its rarity. Only pic I have of it. http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=Asd931
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Interesting your car is listed as "Blue" http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=x993x
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Interesting your car is listed as "Blue" http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=x993x
Yes - this threw me when I was doing due diligence.

The car is definitely polar silver according to the Porsche Cert and the dealer who sold the car new........
Old 05-11-2015, 07:18 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Jamie. Agree. Nice problem to have.

The reason I see guys with 7.2RS and likewise buying older/classic cars to "drive" has little to do with driving enjoyment and much to do with the fact these pure driving/track machines have become far too quickly "collectable" and in some markets "valuable". Its a kill joy for a driving enthusiast unless his wallet runs deep, his mentality is more carefree or he just doesn't care about all that stuff. Name a 997.2 GT3RS owner in NZ that you know of that regularly thrashes the pants off his car on road and track?? I know of 4 x 991 GT3 and a stack of 996 GT3 used in this manner almost weekly if not monthly but I know of few RS variants used on track full stop exception being Robert D and his nephew with the black/orange 997.1 GT3RS who we see occasionally on track. RS no longer stands for RennSport in my mind - at least in NZ almost none of them will see a track regularly. They are bought new mostly for weekend drives and status by their first owners these days. After that they used to go to enthusiasts but increasingly thats now collectors. Im generalising of course but you get the point - why is there not a single RS in the 55+ string RSG?

I don't buy into "its too fast for the road theory". In my opinion its BS. When we go for a back road drive whether it be Rons Sunday run, a few of us heading to Waipu or a Northland Douggie dawn raid we are always driving "fast". Whether it be 991 GT3, 993, Cayman R or Boxster RS60 I can say hand on heart non of us are waiting around. If you saw the grin on Johns face coming out of the Cayman R asfter chasing me over a 12km series of 25-55 corners yesterday you would never say "John your car is too fast, it must spoil your enjoyment". Quite the contrary. And Im happy to go on record and say infact these cars are way safer to push the envelope with. There is more room for recovering errors in the modern metal and the designs are far better for surviving an "incident". Id have to say as a lover of fast road work and the track that over the weekend there was ZERO moments I felt my car was "too fast for the road" and as a 14+ years owner of an aircooled 993 and one of the most vehement supporters of that model I cant say that there wasnt a single time I wished I was rather in the 993 on saturday or sunday...unless you count looking at the cars in the car park on driving behind Pauls 993 sexy ***....then the 993 was clearly the most gorgeous car IMO!

I think the "too fast for the road" thing is often used by those who dont own the latter metal. Each has its place without doubt and running at more sane speeds the older cars certainly make you work harder for your supper and are super involving. But speed is the drug here - to deny the attraction of whacking down the box of a modern 911 with the engine flaring to 8000+ rpm the front end gripping and the brakes hauling you down so effectively again and again is without doubt addictive. To do it with a broader breadth of capability and safety, reduced driver fatigue and error is something often overlooked.

Lastly, Id hesitate to say the reason the older cars are suddenly in vogue is "fashion". The newer cars like 996GT3 & 996TT etc have been "too fast" (if you subscribe to that theory) for 1.5 decades but the older cars have languished. Its like property in Auckland. Nothing has become better about the house down the road that was offered for 750K 5 years ago and is now 1.2 M only popularity/fashion thus demand and price. Its the same cheaply clad timber framed chicken box on 360m2 with a single garage you cant fit a Echo in that it was in 2009 only now there are four Chinese families turning up to the auction bidding it for a relative in Shanghai that wants to move some Yuan out of China "de risk" his domestic situation in a market he has been told is low risk, high capital gain with no associated taxes and a (over) strong currency!

Old 911s have become fashionable because we have suddenly believe they are wonderfully evocative (Porsche trades on this retro thing now remember!), the magazines and car forums say it must be so, we want then for status and to feel we are "true enthusiasts". Sure they are quaint, can be fun to drive when they function properly and they are (at the present time) beyond the depreciation curve but you have to be honest with yourself about why you want one of these as they come with compromises. 964 are the gateway drug into these hallowed halls because they are "affordable" a reason we see so many of them in our groups - but by virtue of their own popularity they too will eventually succumb to being "expensive" and many eventually "too valuable to drive". Hopefully now but probably so and what a shame!

Good news is you will soon beable to "3D print" your dream retro 1:1 scale 911 for looking at in teh garage for under $5000. Its only around the corner :-). Or better yet (and more likely sooner) the international classic car bubble fuelled by cheap credit and "risky blue chip investments" will crash and the prices will become affordable again for enthusiasts like they have before.

Just some thoughts at the beginning of the week to get you all jumping. It opinion of course, very personal views, but with a foot invested each camp I think its at least as valid an opinion as the next poster on this board. Not saying its right.
This discussion gets played out over and over with a different cast of cars and a different cast of ppl based on new models released, what is defined as 'classic' out of the aircooled range, how extreme the tastes (budget and driving preferences) of the ppl are. There are no right answers of course exactly because it is all in the eye of the enthusiast - that we all are. I reckon a lot of it also depends on where you are in the discovery process too. It all starts with that first Pcar whatever that may be and a trip to the track. Mods, then a track car or multiple ownership (excluding DD car). most of us are along this track somewhere.

Without doubt modern machinery is easier to drive and maintain plus faster. There isn't such a thing as too fast per se. The way turbo feels on and off boost means that it needs to be boosting to feel the kick and thrills, especially 4wd. Whereas a really good high revving NA motor has other things that give feel and thrills even if not at top revs. For example consider a really light weight flywheel. On a 4wd turbo there is much more drivetrain friction so a LWFW not so important and in some circumstances a bit of a disadvantage - much much easier to stall. But a NA high revving motor will always have lwfw and its one of the things that makes a car feel special even at mid revs especially if manual (but even if not still makes a big difference). The instant fast sharp response on a heel toe is great and you don't have to be doing 140k

On the value/bubble and bust issue that Macca poses, a couple of points. A bubble is a bubble is a bubble and sooner or later it goes back the other way. But there is a big difference in supply/production number of cars for 911s from mid/late 60s to 993. In a bust there will always be cars that have to be sold and that will push prices down across the board. But I figure that there are now relatively few cars in the pre 73 age class and lots are held by owners that don't have to sell in a bust and won't. So prices here will recover quicker.

And why would you want one of these old ones? I agree with Macca it's not something to own if you just want to go fast. Have to own something else for that. Some things can be enjoyed not going fast. Just so long as it's not slow....
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Moochier
Instructor

What's the Cayman plan? You already have one. Just finished a couple of superb morning runs in the R. I can't get over how good it was through the twisties. As long as Macca couldn't find a place to use all of his horsepower the R was on his tail. The brakes were progressive, and suspension never felt too soft or too hard. Perfect.
I appreciate what your saying there John, on Sunday arvo I had a spare 2hrs between picking up kids, so I headed out north of riverhead in the R, finding back roads. As you say the car just feels better and better the tighter the corners get.

I was starting to think of taking the RS4 on targa, as it's meant to be wet, but after my little jaunt on Sunday i quickly decided against that. Even if it's wet it will be fun to explore the R on some more open roads.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Headsets were received last week and tested up very well. Chris B did some more extensive testing on them the week before. They are very good value for money, well made and thought out etc especially for the outlay...
That's good news as mine should arrive tomorrow! Definitely seem good value on paper.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. Yes its an endless debate. If I knew when the bubble to end then Id let you all know :-). IIRC the record sale for a 2.7 RS was in 1989 for 650,000 USD. The bottom fell out a few years later they were trading around 200K where they sat until 2011 when prices started to strengthen again. Regardless way too much time is spent amongst enthusiasts these days on these boards and off boards talking about car prices. Ok, car prices and Auckland house prices then! There really isnt much room of the talk we used to enjoy about modifications and personalisation, driving adventures and the like. It bores me a bit. Ive never been interested in the cars for their value, infact the opposite has typically been true. Money is to be made elsewhere on serious stuff like business or investments - cars are what you spend your hard earned on and should be the domain of pleasure and play. Houses are a roof over your head. Its good to see some of the newer RSG members pimping out their rides recently. 964s with interesting wheel options and decals.

The most interesting Porsche debate I had on the weekend was with Chris on the colour schemes for his 997 C4S re-imagination car. Heres us with all these fancy toys and this car is the one that intrigues me most. Why? Because these cars are affordable, handle brilliantly and with some small aesthetic improvements can look the bomb. Chris car is already looking sharp with some small visual alterations. I think we agreed on a colour combo decal kit that could really work for his car and make it something quite attractive and unique. Along with all the small improvements he has mad including the damper control units etc this is a car to watch develop IMHO. Practical, low overhead outlaw 997 that performs.

Chris T - great to hear your in with the R. Suggest Friday could be damp so leave the trofeo at home. We will probably be the guys chasing you - after seeing what the R can do Im not sure the 993 will keep up!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?