Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
No they aren't OEM. They were meant to be a low cost experiment before finding a set of correct vintage Recaro Pole position seats which are now like rocking horse poo topped with an icing of Dodo excrement! I actually ended up liking them so much I kept them in the car the last 18000km. If I were looking for seats for the more modern R I'd probably turn to newer offerings from Recar or Sparco but John may be more up to date with options than I...
Surprisingly it's a subject only commented on in car desirability. Like manual vs PDK the seats polarize people. The good thing is that any after market bucket is likely to be far cheaper, I read somewhere the OE ones are $14,000 a pair. Can't be right.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Surprisingly it's a subject only commented on in car desirability. Like manual vs PDK the seats polarize people. The good thing is that any after market bucket is likely to be far cheaper, I read somewhere the OE ones are $14,000 a pair. Can't be right.
I'd steer away from the Porsche options they have become incredibly sought after used and are expensive even new. The seat Jake links to is the seat used in my GT3 and johns Cayman R - works fine in all modern Porsches and is period correct for R. sun coast are probably the cheapest out there at 9250 USD but by the time you land a pair of those you'll be talking almost 18000 NZD!!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Oops. That was 18000 NZD each!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Oops. That was 18000 NZD each!!!
I think it's for the pair, but still crazy money. You can buy alcantara inserts for NZD 5,600 as well. I think Porsche is having a laugh.

There was some talk of a bolster protector on PH as the lower sill side leather is NZD 1,000.

I'm screwed if I damage these seats, which is possible as the R is my DD when I'm in country. Maybe I should see what comfort seat options are available for the daily grind?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Right you are then John. Bargain!

Seriously though I wouldnt worry about using them. Ive done over 10,000 km in them with Jo and I getting in and out all manner of stops and sign seeing and almost zero wear on teh side bolster. Compare this to the new 991 GT3RS/GT4 single piece buckets which are starting to show wear very quickly (Those fitted in the USA to the last GT3s in any case).

Seats are a weird thing. In NZ you wont get much for them, in the States prices are stupid and then in the UK again the market is fairly cool. My old 993 sports seats were worth around 4K in NZ when I sold them to Spokes - but in the USA I had frequent offers of $4K USD over the last 3-4 years. In fact they are probably now closer to 5K USD and all the while the car they sit in has depreciated by 30% in the USA over the last 5 years the seats that go in them have almost doubled in value!

No set of seats are worth 18,000 NZD IMO. I wouldnt even pay 1/3 that. they were a 2880 Euro option on my GT3 and came complete with "free" roll cage, fire extinguisher and 6 point harness. There are tonnes of lightweight after market shells that can even be custom covered in leather for under 3K as set. My SP5s were an example of that and have served me well for a number of years and a stack of events.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one getting the parse error problem here is the word from one on the IB support guys

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I've been told by our illustrious tech team that these app problems will not be fixed, as there is an entirely new mobile app being released in the coming weeks. The new app increases functionality and eliminates the issues that have plagued the previous two apps we've attempted.

I hope to have more specific details about a launch date very soon.

We have also added a new mobile style to Rennlist which will automatically be loaded if you visit the site from your mobile devices browser rather than the app. I find the style to be easier to navigate/use than any of the apps. Perhaps you might find it appealing as well?

cheers,
robb
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm screwed if I damage these seats, which is possible as the R is my DD when I'm in country. Maybe I should see what comfort seat options are available for the daily grind?
Meh, live dangerously I say. Just remember to put a towel over them when you head off to your punk rock reunion, dripping in padlocks.

No set of seats are worth 18,000 NZD IMO. I wouldnt even pay 1/3 that.
I always thought that too, until I sat in some special order Ferrari carbon buckets. The same 'OMG this is how they are supposed to be' moment as when I pulled on some Tech1-ZX gloves. Now I've developed a seat fetish and am manning the lemonade stand.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ we still need to discuss the weight penality to be added to your times (with you being 30kg's lighter than me).

Isn't the rule of thumb that every 100kg's = 1 sec, so I reckon 0.3 sec needs to be added to a 'Mendes time'................
Not sure that rule of thumb holds as well for Porsches, but that's exactly what Racing Ray - a walking half-second and still leading the 2K cup I believe - told me it worked out to for his Integra at Hampton.

You'd want to calibrate it carefully though as otherwise Kim Dotcom could drop in and wipe the floor with us.

But hey, if it still doesn't close the gap to Chris, we could always add an age handicap too - say 0.1 of a second off for every year over 20.

Oh dear, we're becoming as evil as the various racing bodies who repeatedly juggle their rules to stop Porsche winning their series for a decade straight...

So ChrisM - you are the man.

But you will be wearing an empathy belly next run.

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-21-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochier
Got any photos of the seats... I'm after some nice carbon race seats. Where are you getting them?
I bought mine direct from Border in taiwan, having them shipped in a container with other auto parts which makes them cheaper to get here..
PM me if you want to maybe get a set included. They are very nice seats for what they cost, hardest thing is dealing with the language barrier.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Meh, live dangerously I say. Just remember to put a towel over them when you head off to your punk rock reunion, dripping in padlocks. .
Wrong character. John goes as Neil from the Young ones not Vivian :-)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Meh, live dangerously I say. Just remember to put a towel over them when you head off to your punk rock reunion, dripping in padlocks.

Not sure that rule of thumb holds as well for Porsches, but that's exactly what Racing Ray - a walking half-second and still leading the 2K cup I believe - told me it worked out to for his Integra at Hampton.

You'd want to calibrate it carefully though as otherwise Kim Dotcom could drop in and wipe the floor with us.

But hey, if it still doesn't close the gap to Chris, we could always add an age handicap too - say 0.1 of a second off for every year over 20.

Oh dear, we're becoming as evil as the various racing bodies who repeatedly juggle their rules to stop Porsche winning their series for a decade straight...

So ChrisM - you are the man.

But you will be wearing an empathy belly next run.
Can't remember what I did with the AIM trace, but Chris M's winning time was corner speed based, not necessarily power/weight. Paul, unabashed as he is, rode shotgun with Chris and then turned in a very similar time. I'd love to see what Ray could do in her. That would be THE reference.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Wrong character. John goes as Neil from the Young ones not Vivian :-)
That's a blast from the past. It was on late night TV when I was of drinking age. If I wasn't on the bandwidth of North Korea I would check out the video where Neil's lentil dish has issues. I think it exploded or Vivian did something nasty. "Nice one guys".

So if I'm Neil who are Vivian, John, the Landlord and the rats?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Can't remember what I did with the AIM trace, but Chris M's winning time was corner speed based, not necessarily power/weight. Paul, unabashed as he is, rode shotgun with Chris and then turned in a very similar time. I'd love to see what Ray could do in her. That would be THE reference.
Well they'll both be there on Tuesday - maybe BB could stump up for some one-on-one instruction!

John, I'm for keeping the simple TG style leaderboard (so I guess Ray's time will go on the Pro/Instructor board).

FWIW though, weight counts for a lot in the corners - it's why aircooleds with less sophisticated suspension can take the battle to the Turbo in the infield.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's a blast from the past. It was on late night TV when I was of drinking age. If I wasn't on the bandwidth of North Korea I would check out the video where Neil's lentil dish has issues. I think it exploded or Vivian did something nasty. "Nice one guys".

Thats a leading question I reckon. Dont forget Rick!

Heres my favourite "Neil" line for you John. memorise it for when you go to teh next fancy dress with a long wig and some Lennon style sunglasses "May the seed from your loin grow fruitful in the belly of your woman.....man"
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Based on my last RSG post, talking about hanging out under the RSG 2Kcup table and picking up any driving scraps, I guess I'm somewhere there among the rodents.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
May be this winter the RSG should consider going here:

http://www.shpg.co.nz/

Tim
Shouldn't be too hard to find out the low down on this as most of the driving instructors will have taken courses down there. Especially Mike Eady on the BMW days and Stu Owers on Audi. Maybe the grip level will be too low for what most in RSG will want. A wet open space may be better.

At Below Zero in Sweden we had 7mm spiked ice/snow rally tyres and I thought the grip ratio was perfect for serious drifting. enough front end grip to turn in with some weight management of the car and then you had to provoke the car with gas to maintain the drift and speed range mostly 50-120 kph

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?