Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Nicely told Macca. If you decide to unload some at the lesser end of the scale, it would be interesting to see what they are / future potential. I know nothing about watches except now that you have given advice on my Chairman Mau and its ascending value, I'll keep that one locked up and one day trade it for a cayman when they reach parity which is inevitable and may be quite soon.
I no longer wear a watch after a life of doing so. My last trip to China I came back and had a bit of a fungal thing happening under the case and strap no doubt from some of the scummy places I ended up so gave the watch a break while I put some cream on that and I haven't worn one since.
I suspect there are too many Chairman M watches around the world cos I got one too and the waving arm fell off. haha best not to use it as a watch just an interesting curio to look at
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I had a Schumacher Speedmaster at one stage. Nice watch except for two things. 1 it was too small for my wrist 2. It had an acrylic face, which is less scratch resistant.

Cars, watches, cameras, an unholy trinity.
John. The Speedmaster Schumacher is actually an entirely different watch with different case (38mm) and movement (automatic).

On the contrary the Moon Watch (often known as Speedy) is 40-42mm and hand wind movement. Different sub dial placements too. Its one of the bigger watches Ive owned eclipsed by AP Royal Oak and Panerai IMO.

I also had an automatic 38mm Speedmaster as my first Speedmaster. I couldnt see the point in owning a plexi screen hand wound watch with no date no matter how much history and how good it looked. I was wrong. I think its like old Pcars vs new ones analogy LOL!

Anyway the moonwatch is more than it seems I think. The only negative I can give it is when wearing for long stretches of time (I wore the Speedy on my Mexico trip) you sometimes forget to hand wind it - its worse when you are living without a routine.

The history to this watch is amazing. Im an Apollo child and grew up post Spece Race juts soaking it all up. The Speedmaster Moonwatch is still the only watch ever qualified for space flights on the Apollo missions and remains basically unchanged since the Moon Landing. There is so much history with this watch its unbelievable. There are also so many variants of the dial and back (collectors editions etc) that it becomes silly and they ask far too much for minor revisions which all detract from the originality IMO. Ive had the Panda Dial Japanese limited edition and the "Alaska" Variant. I say keep it classic and simple and go for the original.

Good news is also one of the cheapest mechanical watches of note you can buy and they hold their value very well for an Omega.
Attached Images       
Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I suspect there are too many Chairman M watches around the world cos I got one too and the waving arm fell off. haha best not to use it as a watch just an interesting curio to look at
Im sorry to tell you this Graeme but IMO you got sold a Chinese knock off!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is the definitive (and collectable) book on the Speedmaster and Moon missions produced in limited numbers by the Omega Museum many years ago. Still the definitive and a very interesting read IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Time-Capsu...item4194327e60
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

I'm amazed how little it would cost to buy Taupo. Hell, that's just 2-3 average Auckland homes at this point! Wtf.

Macca - since spotting you wearing yours I've cycled through both a speedy and a reduced. Great watches, they fill a special place. Now contemplating a Sinn - for some reason I'm obsessed about finding a watch that's as much German as possible.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I'm amazed how little it would cost to buy Taupo. Hell, that's just 2-3 average Auckland homes at this point! Wtf.

Macca - since spotting you wearing yours I've cycled through both a speedy and a reduced. Great watches, they fill a special place. Now contemplating a Sinn - for some reason I'm obsessed about finding a watch that's as much German as possible.

Agreed Chris. I was contemplating putting together an investment consortium for Taupo while in Mexico having been across the deal from the time Quinn entered the equation. Unfortunately Cyclone PAM put paid to my efforts there. The perennial question remained. Making it a perpetual investment that could return to stakeholders. Unfortunately with MSNZ holding many of the "keys to the kingdom" this was not as easy as it looked.

In my 2009-2012 collection picture above you will see a Sinn. Fair value time pieces but IMO having owned one not quite up to the quality standards of the other brands. IMO if you can stretch then an IWC is a great "German" brand (assembled in Switzerland). I have the Aquatimer GST2000 dive watch in Ti and it was a great watch. Very well made that IWC stuff. AP (GT program manager at PAG) wears an AP (I think Portugesa). I think Pete H may have an IWC you should talk to him about parting with.

One piece of advice for ayone buying a divers watch. IMO dont bother with an internal rotating timer bezel. Its a fashion thing. I have dived with every divers watch I have owned and found out quickly how hopeless an internal rotating timing bezel is. Once in the water you cannot unscrew the crown to make changes to the bezel timer without compromising the water tightness. An external rotating bezel is the best way to go, omni directional and even better if it has a spring push to turn system like the GST2000 did. All IMO of course but I make a point like my cars of using each and every one of the timepieces I buy as they were intended. I usually travel with GMT and use it daily for timezones (NZ, New York usually if in Vanuatu for home and US trading platforms). Diving watches get a good work out in the Tropics under the H2O. Unfortunately Chronos look lovely but of Im honest Ive never used a Chrono for much more than a simple stop watch and never to time laps or measure speed. Far too fiddly for that. Better solutions available in the digital world. But Chronos with history (Daytona, Tudor Heritage Chrono, Speedmaster Moon) all hold interest because of their design, aesthetic, complications and history....
Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende

There's obviously a hook, the track and buidlings would cost more than $4M to build.

It must be lease hold?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^ Nice story about the watches Macca. I've always been a TAG HEUER man myself. My Dad gave me one for my 21st, and I have brougth and sold a few since.

Like Dave, I don't wear a watch either, but basically because my phone can do the same function (tell me the time). I kinda see watches as unnecessary now. May change my mind in future?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

If you want to see into the future, look carefully at what young adults are doing. My sons don't wear watches, don't watch TV and the eldest has no interest to date in driving a car. It will be interesting to see what Apple does to the watch market. It may be the only hope watches have going forward in the mainstream.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. Yes its leasehold mostly I believe, hence need for an solid plan for ROI/E before purchase.

Its interesting that wristwatches have less of a practical use today than in the past. It certainly hasn't affected their values and infact like classic cars they continue to rise in value and be a good store of value if the right piece is chosen. Patek Phillipe & Rolex are two of the better known brands that provide fair capital preservation and if you choose well or are lucky it gets much better than that. In 1992 I hankered after a SS Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" dial for sale used with papers at Lord Ponsonbies for 10K. I was the wrong pay grade at the time. Rock on forward and that same watch would fetch between 130K NZD today full box set maybe more at the right auction. Its like vintage cars - as John says no one needs a Vintage car any more just like no one needs a watch. Watches are mens jewellery, a sign of taste and affluence and just "nice things" to own. I see no deterioration in the collectable watch space like in the 80s when the digital revolution threatened the Swiss mechanical watch industry. Its another category of product that sits outside the practical vs value calcs IMO.

As a watch guy I always note what watch someone wears, just like most of us note what car someone drives and it helps us make a quick assessment along with other items of apparel such as clothes, shoes and teeth as to their place in life, interests, affluence, taste or style. Nothing wrong with it its another handy form of stereotyping to make life easier to navigate...

Point in case. You are at a BBQ having a chat with a bloke who arrived in an Alfa 2000GTV - and a guy in his thirties parks up with his lady in a Nissan Bluebird from 1997. He's not sporting a watch and he has a nose piercing. Given the scarcity of time do you abandon your discussion with the Alfa owner and head over to the Bluebird owner? There are lots of clues as to who you get attracted to in a crowded room. A nice watch, a car Tshirt, a Tattoo, a body piecing, the car you arrive in or an accent are all just tell tales to make life easier - thats all :-)

Last edited by Macca; 04-17-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Like Dave, I don't wear a watch either, but basically because my phone can do the same function (tell me the time). I kinda see watches as unnecessary now. May change my mind in future?
Its one of those things you get or don't get. Most people dont get it and never will. Like a fine 35mm rangefinder with a ground glass ziess lens or a long hood aircooled 911. Your phone has a camera too why by an SLR? Getting from A to B reliably and efficiently is the domain of a Toyota Corolla why buy an Audi S wagon? Everyone is different and for most of us budget dictates what we ultimately choose, but I also know many rich people who dont have an ounce of "style" in their body and with all the money in the world still turn themselves out like tramps and drive Hilux. Are they wrong? No. They seem happy with that but they dont have style.

Money doesn't buy taste, class, education or intellect - that's another thing life has taught me. You dont need to be smart to be rich and even the richest can be feral.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

On a similar note, this may be a better option for in car footage (uses the same lenses as mine an Warwick's cameras).
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Watches are mens jewellery, a sign of taste and affluence and just "nice things" to own.
^^^ Yes - 100% agreed. Given I don't wear a watch - cuff links and sun glasses are only bling I wear these days.

Mind you Lewis is into the 'gansta rapper' diamond studs and gold chains - will be interesting to see if F1 target market take this fashon on board??

There are lots of clues as to who you get attracted to in a crowded room. A nice watch, a car Tshirt, a Tattoo, a body piecing, the car you arrive in or an accent are all just tell tales to make life easier - thats all :-)
You had me at your loafers - kisses and cuddles - Babba

That or your 993 exhaust at the Porsche Parade - this was the first time I had heard of you (from 500m down the road.....)

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-17-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

why buy an Audi S wagon?
^^ comes with a sea of leather in the interior, heated seats and 350HP.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ Yes - 100% agreed. Given I don't wear a watch - cuff links and sun glasses are only bling I wear these days. Mind you Lewis is into the 'gansta rapper' diamond studs and gold chains - will be interesting to see if F1 target market take this fashon on board?? You had me at your lofas - kisses and cuddles - Babba That or your993 exhaust at the Porsche Parade - this was the first time I had heard of you (from 500m down the road.....)
Sunglasses - how did I miss forget those!!!

My advice here is to buy vintage for value, and exclusivity - plus the quality of sunglasses a decade or two ago is much better than some of the over priced offerings today. I prefer beige lenses with steel frames and hinged arms - like Polaroid lenses especially for water sports or island life.

Favourite brands here include TAG, Carrera (vintage only), Oakley ( my last pair is on TM), Porsche (vintage only), Persol and my all time favourites Maui Jim (prefer the vintage versions like Kona from a decade ago with spring hinges).

Bubba. I wear loafers just for you honey pie (and the fact I detest laces) :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?