Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:10 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Welcome Phil. Don't tell us what floats your boat as you'll alienate half the forum!
there is a few cars on my list but the problem is these cars never show up for sale in chch so i have no idea how they drive which is a downside but the upside is i dont get the temptation of upgrading haha

997.1 gt3 rs
997.1 turbo
981 cayman s
Old 12-24-2014, 01:15 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Merry Xmas to both the regulars and lurkers out there. Hope everyone spends some quality time with friends, family and empty roads over the next few days. Look forward to meeting more of you in the new year. Drive safe.

Originally Posted by Macca
Everything is better in America.....
Are you referring to the Acura in the background?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
John you stick with the fighting talk - a bit disappointed that (for now at least) the Q5/GT3 plan was replaced by a Cayenne as a GT3 would have claimed some scalps for sure. Look forward to catching up and assessing the new purchase. We're in the same boat but looking at the 07+ models - anyone with experience there please chime in. We'll miss the summer BBQ Xmas but will be back for drives from the 9th. Stay safe on the roads all - funny how over here 140+ feels safer than 100kmh at home. Just a different standard of driving I guess.
Probably haven't finished yet on the car front. We looked at the face lift Cayenne as well, but concluded that price point would be better spent on a Q5, where the depreciation is a lot less. Buying a Q5 means the GTI is likely surplus, leaving us Herman and the Q5, which doesn't work if I take the Q5 to Taupo and Donna is left with Herman. Assuming the Turbo 3.6 is sold (another jinxing statement) we have Herman, GTI, and Cayenne. A DD each and a workhorse *** spare car if other cars go in for a service.

There's no rush with the GT3. I'd like to quiz Neil on the use his gets now he has race and track day use of the 944 and Integras. There is no longer any garage space for cars that don't get driven. The Cayenne will do 2,000+ km in the next couple of weeks, then we have two race meets in Taupo. The prospect of doing those km in the Cayenne is something I'm actually looking forward to. They are huge vehicles with big motors, which translates into space and pace on the open road.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrphil
there is a few cars on my list but the problem is these cars never show up for sale in chch so i have no idea how they drive which is a downside but the upside is i dont get the temptation of upgrading haha 997.1 gt3 rs 997.1 turbo 981 cayman s
Welcome Phil. Varied list! Flights to Auckland aren't expensive, and a drive south is a great way to introduce yourself to a new car...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

there is a few cars on my list but the problem is these cars never show up for sale in chch so i have no idea how they drive which is a downside but the upside is i dont get the temptation of upgrading haha 997.1 gt3 rs 997.1 turbo 981 cayman s
What, no air cooled on the list

I can see the ChCh dilemma. My 996 Turbo went down your way. The buyer never inspected or drove it, just sent a text saying he wanted it and asking me to help get it on a transporter. I wouldn't recommend that method. Problem is that you'd have to visit a few showrooms to test drive those vehicles and the stealers would charge you a good premium if bought off them.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:43 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Seats arrived today. I'll post more pics tomorrow when I'm not half asleep!
Jealous. Very nice!

Originally Posted by nzskater
Welcome Phil. Varied list! Flights to Auckland aren't expensive, and a drive south is a great way to introduce yourself to a new car...
Come spend a week in Auckland. One of us would happily put you up in exchange for a bottle of wine and time to talk p-cars :-)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Question. In the 9x7 range "Porsche Active Suspension Management" allows you to adjust the suspension firmness between sport (firm) and cruise? That's the system which electrically adjusts how much flow is permitted in the dampers?

Google's not helping much with any detail or opinion
Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Question. In the 9x7 range "Porsche Active Suspension Management" allows you to adjust the suspension firmness between sport (firm) and cruise? That's the system which electrically adjusts how much flow is permitted in the dampers? Google's not helping much with any detail or opinion
Correct.

Phil there are two good 997.1 turbos on the market up here for under 100 that you should check out. Both manual. These cars would work well in CHCH IMO.

Plan sounds like a sensible one John.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Merry Christmas guys, unfortunately Santa has put me down for a Porscheless Holidays.

Got my wheels refurbished by Arrow, they are three piece and somehow they have been put back together or fitted incorrectly, one of the screws attaching the lip is catching the caliper when rotating, resulting in small nick out out the caliper.

Ive also been trying to find some new feet, my friend owns Tyre City, he's done a search and told me no one in the world produces N Rated rear road tyres in the profiles I need.
Front 225/50/16
Rear 245/45/16

Im told my only options are Toyo T1R (Not an N Rated Tyre) or R888 not a road tyre. Obvously other brands out there too which I would prefer, the T1R has been pushed because the actual makeup of the tyre does a good job of getting sticky. Had it explained to me in tech terms but have already forgotten...

If anyone has experience/views on crossing to a non N rated tyre let me know, will post on the 930 forum and see if I have any luck there too.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:05 PM
O2GO
Drifting

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pel
Merry Christmas guys, unfortunately Santa has put me down for a Porscheless Holidays.

Got my wheels refurbished by Arrow, they are three piece and somehow they have been put back together or fitted incorrectly, one of the screws attaching the lip is catching the caliper when rotating, resulting in small nick out out the caliper.

Ive also been trying to find some new feet, my friend owns Tyre City, he's done a search and told me no one in the world produces N Rated rear road tyres in the profiles I need.
Front 225/50/16
Rear 245/45/16

Im told my only options are Toyo T1R (Not an N Rated Tyre) or R888 not a road tyre. Obvously other brands out there too which I would prefer, the T1R has been pushed because the actual makeup of the tyre does a good job of getting sticky. Had it explained to me in tech terms but have already forgotten...

If anyone has experience/views on crossing to a non rated tyre let me know, will post on the 930 forum and see if I have any luck there too.
Used N rated and Non N-rated tyres plenty of times with no issues. On the road and on the track. Buy the best tyre available at the time regardless of whether its N-rated or not. I've had better performance out of non N-rated tyres than I have out of N rated Porsche approved.

Its an old argument but one I don't buy into.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Question. In the 9x7 range "Porsche Active Suspension Management" allows you to adjust the suspension firmness between sport (firm) and cruise? That's the system which electrically adjusts how much flow is permitted in the dampers? Google's not helping much with any detail or opinion
Yep, and on my car I found the contrast too great. Soft too soft and sport too unforgiving for NZ B roads. Interesting thread here, I own one of the TPC units and highly recommend it.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...uspension.html
Old 12-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jo's Xmas present this year, not sure if it's enough to get her to do another targa this year....
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 06:48 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Jo's Xmas present this year, not sure if it's enough to get her to do another targa this year....
LOL one of my sons gave me the same instrument.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:58 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Christmas day is an apt time to finalise the deal on the RS60. Deal now done subject to PPI. I'm flying to Chch on 5th January for that, and to drive back to Northland. Crossing the ferry on the red eye on 6th January.

Had to do it so I could show Macca, Paul and John some of our stunning Northland B roads.

Expensive but I love all the juicy bits. Limited edition, classic colour scheme, hard back sport seats, full leather (yes red!) interrior with silver contrasts, grey seat belts, turbo gear shift, Spider dials, switchable sports exhaust, active suspension, 19" wheels, "RS60 spider" stainless sills, red tail lights, matching red softtop, front spoilers. Quite a nice list.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?