Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Merry Xmas y'all.

And congrats Doug, great choice and should be a bit harder to miss for people who reverse out without looking properly!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wishing everyone the very best for Xmas and many carefree and exhilarating miles in your cars in 2015. See some of you on the 13 th and well done Doug hope you will be there to share your new car with us.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:44 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Merry Xmas y'all. And congrats Doug, great choice and should be a bit harder to miss for people who reverse out without looking properly!
Thanks Michael. I'm going everywhere with driving lights on now too.

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Wishing everyone the very best for Xmas and many carefree and exhilarating miles in your cars in 2015. See some of you on the 13 th and well done Doug hope you will be there to share your new car with us.
Thanks Neil. 2015 is going to be an awesome crash free year for me :-P

I'm holidaying at Oakura Bay until the 19th (barring my Chch to Oakura road trip) so will catch up after that event u less the weather sends us packing earlier. We have friends coming and going over the time so if anyone wants a night on the beach in January and some great roads around here please do PM me. So far we have visits planned from Macca, John and Paul (if he meets a project deadline).

Also, planning an early morning Doug run on Wednesday 7th Jan from Auckland to Waipu the long way in my RS60 as I head back to Oakura. Macca is keen (suggested it actualky). If you're free put it in your diary. More details closer to the time. Just under 4 hours of driving taking the same roads in both directions.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this car Doug and visiting you at Oakura. I will PM to see what dates fit. More specifically whether it's a mass gathering or more spread out. Donna and I will be in the Cayenne, although not looking to sleep in it!

Hope everyone is enjoying the break, however you choose to spend your time.

The postings over the last few months suggest that we will see more acquisitions with more than one of you looking to add second or third cars to the collection. Will we be fighting over the same cars? Not sure myself what my garage will hold at this time next year. I suspect the simplicity of one car one purpose will mean nothing comes in without something going out.

I certainly hope there are no more crashes, but the reality is that cars driven at speed have more risk. I believe Prestigio have under-estimated the risk of Playdays, certainly in the wet, and may make it more difficult or expensive for future cover. Will that accelerate the trend seen over the last year where older cars stop going to the track? Probably, which raises the thought that we could modify the NITT to have a touring option with maybe a procession session at the track for those cars. Just a thought.

Keep it safe out there and see most of you in the New Year, maybe at the 13th event.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Hi Doug , what time will you be passing through Sanson ? I'd love to drive out for a quick meet and greet your new car , I know what it's like on a long trip , you just want to keep going .
Old 12-25-2014, 03:44 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nzskater
Welcome Phil. Varied list! Flights to Auckland aren't expensive, and a drive south is a great way to introduce yourself to a new car...
everytime i wanted a new car, that was the plan but my laziness never got me to auckland and something finally turns up for sale in chch

Originally Posted by John McM
What, no air cooled on the list

I can see the ChCh dilemma. My 996 Turbo went down your way. The buyer never inspected or drove it, just sent a text saying he wanted it and asking me to help get it on a transporter. I wouldn't recommend that method. Problem is that you'd have to visit a few showrooms to test drive those vehicles and the stealers would charge you a good premium if bought off them.
yes it seems like the market for sport cars is very small so the dealers never seems to bring anything in which also means no one trades in their used sport car down here. what colour was your turbo? i will keep an eye out for it

Originally Posted by O2GO
Jealous. Very nice!

Come spend a week in Auckland. One of us would happily put you up in exchange for a bottle of wine and time to talk p-cars :-)
congrats on the RS60, it looks like a lovely car

Originally Posted by Macca
Correct.

Phil there are two good 997.1 turbos on the market up here for under 100 that you should check out. Both manual. These cars would work well in CHCH IMO.

Plan sounds like a sensible one John.
the golden colour turbo and the grey gt3 is tempting but i'm not ready to say goodbye to my 1m yet

thanks for the warm welcomes
Old 12-25-2014, 04:06 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking forward to seeing this car Doug and visiting you at Oakura. I will PM to see what dates fit. More specifically whether it's a mass gathering or more spread out. Donna and I will be in the Cayenne, although not looking to sleep in it!
For much of the time (after new year) there will only be Jan, myself, Mark and Patrick. We have 4 bedrooms and can sleep 12 without using couches, tents or Cayennes. Http://Www.oakura.beachescape.co.nz

Originally Posted by Garry D
Hi Doug , what time will you be passing through Sanson ? I'd love to drive out for a quick meet and greet your new car , I know what it's like on a long trip , you just want to keep going .
Would love to Gary. I would be passing through at about mid-day on the 8th. Quick coffee then some of the run together would be pretty nice. I'll PM contact details through.

This is turning out pretty epic thanks guys.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:07 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Welcome and thanks mrphil
Old 12-25-2014, 04:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Phil, my experience is that Auckland is the biggest market and also the clearing place for cars from elsewhere. When I lived in Wellington it wasn't that unusual to see a local car sold to an Auckland Dealer, then sold to a Wellington buyer. I suppose that at least gave the buyer a reason for a road trip.

My recent purchase, a Cayenne, has been in the grey market for a few years now. Sold new in NZ by Giltraps, then passing on to the tertiary dealers like Fast 4 as it became too old for the OPC yards. They can be fun to visit if you want to sample a wide range of cars in a weekend, and negotiable as they have big margins and like to turnover quickly e.g. the 2012 sale saw the dealer pocket $10,000, an instant loss on resale.

The even older cars are on Trademe. You have to be ready if those come up as there is pent up demand for some models.

My Turbo is Grey, rego 01TRBO.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:40 PM
PHG
Racer

Doug
PM me yr mobile as I will be visiting Oakura in the boat..family stating there..
I will give you a call and perhaps share a bevvie while ogling your new toy?
Old 12-25-2014, 06:26 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by PHG
Doug PM me yr mobile as I will be visiting Oakura in the boat..family stating there.. I will give you a call and perhaps share a bevvie while ogling your new toy?
Awesome. We are here until the 19th. Macca and Jo, John, Donna and boys here 7-10th. Have a fizz boat if you want to anchor up the harbour we can collect and deposit you back. Pm sent.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Just catching up. Nice car Doug. Not that familiar with that model of Boxster. Is it the same spec as your grey one or Does it have more power? Colour combo is quite unique. I'd do that. It would be great to race up your way over the holidays but I'm going the other direction for a couple of weeks. Maybe next year when I have something more exciting to turn up in.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Just catching up. Nice car Doug. Not that familiar with that model of Boxster. Is it the same spec as your grey one or Does it have more power? Colour combo is quite unique. I'd do that. It would be great to race up your way over the holidays but I'm going the other direction for a couple of weeks. Maybe next year when I have something more exciting to turn up in.
Thanks Dave. It is basically a Boxster S "special edition" to (I reckon) extend the life of the 987.1 while the .2 (new DFI motor) is readied for production with heaps of swag thrown in. It was limited to 1960 cars. From a performance viewpoint it has an additional 8hp (303 vs 295 std) so a little more gained from an enhanced sports exhaust, front splitters, switchable dampers (10mm lower with sport and normal settings), 19" light wheels (vs 18), and hard backed sports seats to hold you in through the corners.

Cool non-performance things are rowdy exhaust, custom spider dials with no cover, shiny GT gear stick, unique Carerra GT metallic colour, full natural Carerra red leather (that many find "interesting" but I've always liked - time will tell), limited edition badge, RS60 Spider stainless sill plates, sexy wheels, 10mm lowered, 5mm wider track - stuff like that.

In the Boxster range they made a few special editions. The Spider (lightened, Cayman spec engine, Cayman R suspension, useless roof to save weight, unique styling), the Black Edition (spider like spec with standard rag top roof) and a sports edition (in unique orange) all in limited numbers to add appeal.

Looking forward to running with the orange beast before too long Dave.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Freight

Hey NZ RLs,

Any advice on freight from the USA. Looking at rims & exhaust. The supplier(s) price seem high to me. Happy for slow boat.

S
Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug - been looking at the RS60 a bit more since you pulled the trigger. It's a seriously tasty machine and all the extras will suit you perfectly. I love the full red leather interior - more so than this one from the Porsche museum - the original concept for the Boxster. When I saw it in the flesh I thought there's an interior that only Doug could love!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?