Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Attachment 891982last one I promise but a bonnie has a certain something. Just don't think my legs are strong enough to kick it repeatedly, which is always my experience on cold mornings

Pete , thanks for invite , but we are going out to dinner tomorrow. Will see you tomorrow though and help,where I can.

Dave I think we are all closet bikies at heart. Does your drive way have space for the trailer with the grinch on it on Friday night, ready for the trip to HD on Saturday?
I could do one night with a car on a trailer. 4 car garage and 4 car driveway is almost full then! Might have to activate the other driveway and garage for the first time ever. I would agree to longer storage terms if the cars were GT3's or 964 turbo's.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

More changes coming in the driveway! - the missus just came home to report that her car had been backed into whilst on drinkies at a friends house. Small dent but car rendered useless as the top of the door frame now sticks out and won't be waterproof. Excellent. Not 5 hours ago I picked up my freshly fixed car from Evans after her last discussion with a high kerb. I'm becoming quite the regular there. Might get an upgrade loner from a Daihatsu Sirion to something better! Could, I suppose, make her drive BB2 around for a while.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, you could put one of your stable at my place on the Friday. Just working out the logistics of getting the Grinch to HD on Saturday morning with trailers and cars going in all directions.

Btw that compressed foam is the business. Easy to cut but tough. I had a go at fibreglassing the panel in place. I can see why you said what you did. I'll be better prepared for the front side tomorrow.
That would be good. BB2 maybe. Someone will have to drive that out to HD as I won't be able to make it. There is a chance that I might come out in the afternoon, I want to bring Steve's C3 back to the lockup. I'll give you a ring Chris B (or is it Pete?) if that works out as you have a key to the workshop? I'd need a ride home with someone too.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I cant look at bikes. Dad used to have a CX500 to go to work. Neil take those pictures down. When I look at bikes I want to buy them. Last time this affliction struck I bought a 996 (NZ) and a DZR400 (Vanuatu). Then the one I really wanted came up on TM (cafe racer) pictures below. Watch out Walt will be by shortly ;-)

Dave. Its a shame the spare garage window closed so quickly. I was starting to see some kinda deal being worked out there for a moment ;-)
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Neil will tow the Grinch to HD. I'll drive BB2. Haven't really thought past that. I can keep one car here on a semi permanent basis if needed.

Bad luck re car. Maybe BB2 is the way forward
Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I cant look at bikes. Dad used to have a CX500 to go to work. Neil take those pictures down. When I look at bikes I want to buy them. Last time this affliction struck I bought a 996 (NZ) and a DZR400 (Vanuatu). Then the one I really wanted came up on TM (cafe racer) pictures below. Watch out Walt will be by shortly ;-)
Nice Ducati Mark. The only 2 wheeled 996 I have is 2 or 3 high inches high, with Carl Fogarty aboard.

Love your pics too Neill. Yes, very tempting. Farmbikes aside - AGs and XRs including the mighty 600 - I haven't ridden any older metal unless you count a CT90, which I wouldn't. Closest was the new T800 Bonnie, which looked the part, right down to its fake carbs. Fun scraping the chrome foot pegs through the esses and hanging on while 865 injected ccs try to yank that flat seat out from under you, but the cafe certainly beats out the racer when compared with today's more mainstream gear.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. How did the 3.6T check out on the PPI?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:08 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had a thing for BMW airheads and this is my personal favourite cafe racer. Note the mono-shock conversion.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. How did the 3.6T check out on the PPI?
It's not a PPI at this stage - CCS are doing a WOF on Monday and assessing general condition to provide a basic opinion to an interested party. I imagine things will evolve from there.

Another person wants to look at it at the Picnic, based on the texts a non Porsche person. I know we all have to start somewhere, but I'd rather it went to someone that has a passion for it. It's hard enough reconciling never driving or even washing it again, let alone it going to a flipper.

BTW: It's trouncing the 996TT in views and watchers, which at last look were over 80. The air cooled cars certainly have interest, if not the money to buy.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Ndewar
Instructor

Dave , I have the key to Steves lock up at HD where my car is stored. I will be going out next Friday to pick up the trailer and bring it back to load up the grinch. Once stored for the night I will take it out to HD and enjoy the day. John has been planning where to store it on Saturday night and then after Sunday . I can assist with lifts to and from HD. Will keep in touch, John.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Thanks, I have a big day on the cricket pitch Saturday but will try and get away.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Neil. The Cayenne GTS is pretty nice. Lower and better stance. Bear in mind a new/near new one will depreciate at great knots. I paid 125k in 2005 for a 2 year old CS v8 with 30k on the clock. 2-3 years later it was only worth 60k and now 25k even though it is in great condition. They don't hold any value.

For a DD I would opt for a modern car with an old classic for weekends. The old school cars have character but not convenience, comfort or fuel economy. Little things like a shocking turning circle, lack of heated seats, manual opening boot etc etc make them a bit painful every day.

My choice for a DD would be a 997, or Cayman with the DFI and manual or pDK. For open air motoring which we love the boxster is unbeatable. The boxster has the benefit of 2 boots which is brilliant for touring with luggage not visible and plenty of capacity. We go three weeks with luggage snd chilly bin no problems.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I was looking at the yellow Boxster S for my partner; seller cleaned it and liked the result so much he decided not to sell. The search continues.

She test drove a Mini Cooper S on Thursday. More power and torque than expected but old hard tyres resulted in repeated wheel spin and understeer. Had ridiculously small storage capacity and I didn't like the interior. Would rather a GTI or R32.

Doug, I think I need to listen to you and go test drive a Cayenne. Would be the most practical choice and depreciation has resulted in them being the perfect low cost beach hack.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The gen1 Cayenne S are amazing value. A lot of motor for 25-35k for example. Ensure you get a PPI from a Porsche dealer as there are a few maintenance issues to look for including transmission area. When you need parts and service, you're of course paying for a 175k machine.

Gen 1s blow the plastic coolant pipes in the middle of the V of the engine and these get replaced with aluminium ones. Design fault. You pay. Labour intensive. Ensure it has been done.

Mine guzzles 11.5-12.5 l/100km which was about the same as my previous Holden v8. Around town 19l/100km. Towing a 2 tonne boat, 25-40l/100km. Later DFI engines are more economical.

Mine has done 130,000k and apart from tyres, fluids, brake rotors and pads the only issues i've had are:

Steering console control unit failed. $1,200
Coolant pipes fail as per above. $ can't remember
Starter unit recondition (they're housed in the centre of the V and get very hot, dry out and therefore need this. Only needed once. cant remember cost. Probably $800
Puncture once
Rear tail gate spring loaded gas units. They only last 5 years. Replaced under warranty and need doing again. I think probably $800
Rotors and pads. $2,000 via OPC
Coils. Replaced once. Something like 8x$200
Push latch that opens the glove box. I'm on my 3rd. Allow I guess $300 every 4 years parts and labour. Design fault.

Regular oil changes are important. They're rated for 30,000k between oil changes but better to change more regularly than that to get the best life and trouble freeness.

Ive had no suspension or transmission maintenance issues to date and a long talk with Erin at ccs recently indicated they're good for several hundred thousand k's.

Ive been told to avoid air suspension. More to go wrong. Ive heard they throw compressors etc. Mine doesn't have it.

Avoid the turbos. Huge fuel consumption that can bankrupt you and much more wear on transmission etc. Amazing grunt of course. The V8 has plenty of power and torque IMO.

After about 9 years of ownership I absolutely love mine. Full leather, lovely engine and transmission, huge capacity, comfortable, drives like a sports car, at 160k (theoretically of course) the passengers are still chatting away without even noticing you are going fast. Huge brakes. Amazing PSM for safety which we tested under accident avoidance conditions at Mt Cotton in the mid 2,000s so they're very safe.

I may stand to be corrected as all IMO of course and you should do your own research :-)
Old 12-06-2014, 01:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete and Sean - how was Puke today?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?