Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what the story is with this car?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-733383066.htm

Lowered suspension and half cage. Must be an ex-track rat??

Looks very nice.........
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like one of the malaysian ex driving school cars imported by CCS/EMD in 2010...there were 6 of them IRRC
Old 05-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Why has Ferrari moved, anyone know?
I heard the building needed a seismic upgrade.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Chris, you need a harness for these to work properly. Have you got one for the 997? Shop is Chicane, in the same block you had your compliance done i.e. Penrose. Shane opens on Saturdays, sometimes, but it pays to ring ahead.
Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Chris, I bought 3 yesterday for Pete, John and I and they have Maccas name to get one when he is back. As John said, go in to Chichane and give Shane my name and tell him you are linked to the ones I got and he will give you the price. Its a good price when you see what they sell for in the US and it was based on at least 3 and most likely around 5 units. You do need a full harness for them to work though as John said.
Thanks guys! I'll swing in and have a look & chat with Shane.

Idea is it will be useful to have if I ride along or pilot something else with a cage.

Looking at some options for the 997 as well (it was inevitable, right?). Still have the dreams of an all-rounder as with the 964. Not chump change, but easy to bolt in a BK harness bar, seat & straps.

cs
Old 05-24-2014, 05:58 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Chris, nice idea. From the research I did on my 07 Boxster, if your 997 has the M97 engine, ie prior to the move to the DFI engine, you need to budget for preventing the oil starvation problem with track tyres on the track, esp the HD sweeper. Either deep sump or an accu-sump. Steve went with the deep sump which is the simplest and cheapest option from what I learned.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Thanks guys! I'll swing in and have a look & chat with Shane. Idea is it will be useful to have if I ride along or pilot something else with a cage. Looking at some options for the 997 as well (it was inevitable, right?). Still have the dreams of an all-rounder as with the 964. Not chump change, but easy to bolt in a BK harness bar, seat & straps. cs
Chris, if you are a PCNZ member, why not enter in the Regularity trial? There is no better way to get confidence back at HD and be sympathetic to your car than circulating all day with a 1:28 minimum. What's not often realised with Regularity trials is that you choose how to drive. Many of the Classic Trials guys keep to the bar by cruising up the main straight but still attack the corners. It's also grid start and closer car driving. Has to be a good re-launch point.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I wonder what the story is with this car?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-733383066.htm

Lowered suspension and half cage. Must be an ex-track rat??

Looks very nice.........
Pretty sure that's the one for sale about a year or so ago - or at east its twin. I drove it when I started looking at Cayman's. Looks very nice but I felt there was something wrong with the clutch at the time - was very heavy.

Need to sort the SUV ride height on mine - this one is perfect.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris just check if you can be insured during regularity trials.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Paul, what are the rules and objectives for the Sprints? I gather it's not ***** out racing with corner diving if we're doing it on M licenses.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys, I already have 10 applications in 24hrs. You need to get your A's into G if you don't want to miss out on the sprints.
Paul, just out of curiosity: a) when and where will the Motorsport License test be? and b) is there anyone registered for the sprints in something I'd have a chance of keeping up with?
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul, what are the rules and objectives for the Sprints? I gather it's not ***** out racing with corner diving if we're doing it on M licenses.
It's probably not 7/10ths if it's called Sprints lol!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. We are looking at booking our flights for NITT today. September flights are filling up. Could you confirm the event dates (I think I had 12 & 13)?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
It's probably not 7/10ths if it's called Sprints lol!
I think 7/10ths will apply to Regularity and nothing else, no matter what is posted about intentions. I just want to know what is making it non racing e.g. Wheel to wheel or not. This may not end well.

Last edited by John McM; 05-24-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:08 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. We are looking at booking our flights for NITT today. September flights are filling up. Could you confirm the event dates (I think I had 12 & 13)?
We are confirmed so far as I am aware but am double checking as can never be too careful!

Taupo is showing our booking for 12 Sept (Fri). Manfield is not on their calendar but Tony gave me that date several times and we are locked for a Group.

There is also a Taupo test day on the 10th (Wed) so while that doesn't lock with our drive down on the 11th you could make use of it - pretty cheap extra track day.

I'll get the e-mail out to RSG members soon but informally there looks to be a preference for the same format as last year. Those I have spoken to weren't too keen on making Taupo a base and getting down and back to Manfield in a day. That's detail though and can be sorted closer to the time.

The other bit of feedback was that while Hilton was excellent it was pretty pricey for many - the 3 brm Hilton units do work well for 3 couples though. I will survey people when I send the expressions of interest e-mail.

To make Taupo work well we will need at least 24 cars (30 max) - pretty sure we will be able to do this.

Manfield is the tougher one as we have one group of 15 though there is the option of running in general group also. We can probably accommodate up to 17-18 if everyone stands down for a session.

Will also survey to see if interest in driver training (Ray) on the tour - very cool to have him last time but as we found out last time he gets spread very thinly.

So book your flights - we're on!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sprints is a combo of Trials and Play Day:

* Standing start - released in 3-5 sec intervals as a pair
* You are paired with a similar powered car
* 3-5 laps
* fastest to slowest, so you shouldn't be overtaking or overtaken other than your pair
* No speed bar, so 7/10th's or 10/10's - you decide.
* John if you don't want to race your pair - just let them go first off the line and follow around at a pace you are happy with??

IMHO - it's the next step up from Play Days due to standing starts and closer action with paired car.

Could be good spectator sport watching Matt/Nigel off the line and Lola/Herman.......

Macca you ***** - lets see if these new go faster bits keep you ahead. I might have to start jogging up Mt Eden Hill, stop sponsoring Pete's Pies at lunch tiime, and remove the passengers seat, carpets and other misc. to close down the 70 kg gap. I'd buy a set of 214's, but don't want you crying over a supposed tyre advantage like Taupo. (so ya coming yet )

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?