Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warwick, what is southbound quoting for a pair?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Are you going to rip the splitter off of the GT3 and slap some cannards on? Should be good for 2-3s?
There is already an answer to that question Matt. Its called the 991 GT3RS. Although hp and tq will not increase significantly with the new RS, what you will see is a massive focus on downforce and aero. CF front wings with air outlets above the wheels, huge rear wing, larger front integrated "cannards", wider tyres (265 on 20" front and 325 on 21" rear). I believe the additional rear downforce has necessitated and increase in side wall rating for the new 21" rear MPSC2 tyres. Someone around here did some math on the 991 GT3RSR rear wing and its looking like 3-4x that of the 991 GT3 at 120mph. I think it was Crawford engineering in the states. The wing on the 991 GT3 is very compromised, probably to make it "look" more accepatble as a road car.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I'm looking at fitting a set of Recaro PP's with Recaro sliders but Southbound mounts. Just got off the phone with David at Southbound and he seems genuinely knowledgeable about the vagaries and history of Porsche interiors - including aftermarket solutions.

Does anyone here have any experience/advice regarding the compliance and/or insurance of replacing oem with aftermarket seats?
Never had a problem in all these years myself. The LVV for this was likely aimed at the drifters and boy racer brigade IMO, Im not sure they will take a second glance at a Porsche.

A version of the PP was series production option in 964 and 993 so it qualifies as original equipment even if after-market sourced - so I have been told by Dean.

Thats a nice set up you are considering there. David gave me a quote for classic grey leather PPs with silders and rails last year. They werent cheap. It was about 3100 GBP including shipping. That included having the seat backs painted. I figured $7.5K NZD landed and taxed. They do the best work IMO.

Just as an aside the PPs have just fallen off the new FIA compliance wagon so I am told. The rules have changed and teh seat no longer conforms so cannot be used for sanctioned events in Europe. A real PITA as I would only fit these to qualify the car for European events in 2018, the original plan, when it qualifies the 25 year rule for historic's/classics. Since faffing around they have changed the rules (alot of Porsche guys on these boards unhappy) and so now its better just to throw some "cheap" sparco EVOs or something into the car for the event then replace out.

The PPs look the business tho and are my favourite bucket seat. The suit a driver 5'10 or less and under 200lb.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I just got passed (and rather quickly) by a primo 996 C2.

I heard it first, it had a very nice aftermarket something going on.

The rims, stance and camber were perfect for a 996, and it had a 70's retro Porsche strip in black (same as Cayman R) - it was the 'muts nuts' for a subtle 996 retro hotrod.

I couldn't get a decent photo as he was driving too fast, but did manage to see a PCNZ sticker - Graham you may know the car (I'm in Wellington at the mo)

Seriously for low $30K's - I think these 996 manual NZ cars with under 100K are bargains and could be tempted to swap the Audi for one as an experiment in 2015........

Chris B - would be interested on your experiences of 996 ownership and what you thought?

Like Dave, I think I might have to start a special 996 subtle hotrod p*rn collection folder.......

Maybe add a half cage for targa touring and RSG days...??
My 996 C2 was a good car being my first road going Porsche. I would find it hard to go back now though after the Turbo, definitely corrupted by extra hp. The challenge I would see in a 996 C2 or C4 is working out what gap it fills for me, it doesn't have the interior to make it a comfortable daily driver and lacks the power or old P car experience for a fun weekend drive.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

If anyone’s after a good podcast for a listen then Chris Harris was on the Joe Rogan Experience in the US. It’s 2 hours long with plenty of 911 content. They cover off Top Gear, modifying his old green ‘Kermit’ car, Singer, Bill Gates & his 2 959s, garage portfolio makeups, the Veyron, Jay Leno, Rogans Sharkwerks 3.9 GT3, Harris going from the 4.0 to his 599, his buy/sell philosophy, the future of the manual car, Tiff Needell and finally, Drive. On You Tube too.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Garry D
Instructor

Thanks Luke , I will sit down and have a look this for sure .

I have the Inlaws arriving this avo , so while I have time I'd like
to wish you all a merry Christmas , It's been great to meet a few of you
this year , it's been a blast .
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

It's been an absolute blast Garry.

Good to share a lot of it with fellow petrol heads on trips, at the track and on this forum. I'm starting to see the error of my ways from watching others and enjoy the wider Porsche spectrum i.e. buy and sell. The World doesn't fall apart if someone gets to use your car. The dealer said it today, each sale provides the wherewithal to buy something else.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 PM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John McM
This thread does move quickly. Back in early July we thought we might make 997 pages for Chris M to celebrate Independence Day. Now we have 1,360 pages, 20,400 replies and 517,000 views.

Interesting stuff but enquiring minds want to know:

1. How many lurkers do we have if there are 25 views for every post?
i'm one of your lurkers, been reading this thread on and off for the last few months

i dont own a Porsche but would like to own one in the near future, wife had a 09 cayman a few years ago but we traded it in for another bmw (still love the Porsche brand)

btw if the P1 makes it way down to chch please let me know, i would love the chance to see one in real life
Old 12-24-2014, 12:16 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

It's been an absolute blast Garry.

Good to share a lot of it with fellow petrol heads on trips, at the track and on this forum. I'm starting to see the error of my ways from watching others and enjoy the wider Porsche spectrum i.e. buy and sell. The World doesn't fall apart if someone gets to use your car. The dealer said it today, each sale provides the wherewithal to buy something else.
It has definitely been a blast, a busy year, but enough time for lots of fun with cars and RSG members.

Have you got something to tell us about a new vehicle John?
Old 12-24-2014, 12:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ Thanks for posting Luke. It's a very good interview as the host is a Pcar man so you have one enthusiast talking to another about cars and models in detail........

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-24-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrphil
i'm one of your lurkers, been reading this thread on and off for the last few months i dont own a Porsche but would like to own one in the near future, wife had a 09 cayman a few years ago but we traded it in for another bmw (still love the Porsche brand) btw if the P1 makes it way down to chch please let me know, i would love the chance to see one in real life
Welcome Phil. Don't tell us what floats your boat as you'll alienate half the forum!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
It has definitely been a blast, a busy year, but enough time for lots of fun with cars and RSG members. Have you got something to tell us about a new vehicle John?
Already outed and not had it for 6 hours!

This morning I stumped down just over $26k on a 2005 Cayenne S with 98,000km on the odometer. Contis have service history since 2009 so I had a good idea what had been going on.

Now planning to do Welly return, Tauranga. Pauanui and Oakura in v8 powered luxury with Donna and Cameron.

I'm taking the Dave approach here, if it doesn't suit then I just sell it, after doing some miles and towing the race cars. PO spent $50k in June 2012 at 75,000km. Not sure how much depreciation I will do but it must be low at this level. Famous last words....
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Already outed and not had it for 6 hours!

This morning I stumped down just over $26k on a 2005 Cayenne S with 98,000km on the odometer. Contis have service history since 2009 so I had a good idea what had been going on.

Now planning to do Welly return, Tauranga. Pauanui and Oakura in v8 powered luxury with Donna and Cameron.

I'm taking the Dave approach here, if it doesn't suit then I just sell it, after doing some miles and towing the race cars. PO spent $50k in June 2012 at 75,000km. Not sure how much depreciation I will do but it must be low at this level. Famous last words....
Sounds like a good buy. A lot of car for the money, hard to see how you could go wrong. Enjoy.

I had it watch listed, looking at the same option myself.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John you don't waste any time. Congrats! I hope it treats you well. Can't argue with the value that's for sure!!

Merry Xmas to all. Been an awesome car year. SITT & NITT - 7 track days for me ( each a different track) so I was pleased. Even got a chance to finally return to HD the track I've had less laps on than Manfield!! None of it would have been the same without the camaraderie and friendships of many on here....

Seems a long time ago but exactly this afternoon a year ago we drove up to The Hermitage in out GT3 after a wet drive from the Riviera. Seems like a long time ago now....
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2014, 02:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Sounds like a good buy. A lot of car for the money, hard to see how you could go wrong. Enjoy. I had it watch listed, looking at the same option myself.
I had feedback from Doug, Dean, Ian Nott and Steve before considering it. The seller wanted me to purchase insurance' I suspect partly to cover the dealer warrantee. When I found out that the coolant pipes and starter had been done I decided the remaining weak points weren't worth paying $2,000 to protect myself against. I also found out the brakes hadn't been done in 2 years so discounted that as well. New brakes and existing near new tyres should make it relatively painless to do maybe 8,000 km per year. Rego has 5 days to run. WOF is good until Dec 2015.

There's a lot of choice out there, I would have walked if he hadn't accepted the offer, but I was slightly nervous it would go to someone else.

Impression so far is a good cabin to do big miles or tow a car. High spec with good audio. The fact it has a big towing capacity, tow bar and roof rack make it a versatile 3rd vehicle.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?