gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post

Local to me in Florida friend Kiwi On Drive:
Check out this video on YouTube:

Record Crown Range Pass in a Porsche GT3 Cup - /DRIVER'S EYE - YouTube
Great stage and great pace from Gavin and such a well developed car. Pretty much the ultimate tarmac rally Porsche 911.
a bit of pressure on with Helicam following on the stage haha think I would prefer to stay under the radar. The car sounds awesome and LOUD from the outside. lightweight exhaust contributes to this in addition to the gear whine. I set my sequential up conservatively (not fastest available shift cut) but am reconsidering this after hearing how fast Gavins car shifts.

Macca I reckon the South Island roads are a bit too straight. Too much often rests on willingness to charge over blind crests at 180-200kph in order to get a decent stage time. on many stages this made 10-20secs difference. There were at least 4 accidents with heavy car damage where charging into blind situations was a factor.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

That's absurd! Bucket list drive right there, speechless
Old 11-15-2014, 02:03 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Record Crown Range Pass in a Porsche GT3 Cup - /DRIVER'S EYE - YouTube
Wow what an epic video. My heart was pumping just watching. If that isn't a great advertisement for Targa I don't know what is.

Quick hands at 2:55 when he clips the gravel at the right hander
Old 11-15-2014, 02:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Crowne Range is such a great drive. Can't wait to do it in my 911. Thanks for sharing the video. Am sure it will stimulate a few spirited runs over the range for months to come.

Doug, interesting feedback on the 986. I'm on the lookout for a car for my partner. She can't drive a manual, but figure a Boxster would be a great incentive to learn. Would be good fun for me and is a great value proposition, although tempted to buy something I care less about first as I can hear the gearbox crunches already...

Let me know if you're still planning a morning run, I'm keen if the weather turns into something other than the utter crap that's outside at the moment.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Jake, your Hero 3 has already done the drive, albeit at a far slower pace than the GT3 or Graeme
and

I have the two weeks off around Easter. I'm tempted to drive Herman down there again and meet up with family to make it more of a shared effort.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ That was an epic drive JMc - I reckon we were not far off targa tour speed and probably exceeded (though I can not officially confirm or deny). Doing the trip at dawn in a Porsche convoy with good mates is about as good as life gets :-)
Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. You are doing all right mate. Living the dream (or a version of it). We are all of different circumstances. Ive learnt long ago very few people Ive met live the same lifestyle, have exactly the same ambitions and views. Jo and I have a very different lifestyle and view on life than I suspect many on here. I suspect its often confused with and approach to life that could only be tempered by money but infact could not be further from the truth. Personality and "events" define much of how we live our lives. We have no kids and few assets (a divestment strategy that is in its middle age but progresses without abate). I call it Ground Zero. Reducing everything to the lowest common denominator. Its bloody easy to collect stuff around you in life I find but very hard to get rid of it. Its taken years to get as far as we have. The big push is the next 6 months. We will become nomads. Actually I think the correct term is Vagabonds. Very few tethers to all those things that "normal people" have. Still a little wiggle room in there for my passion for cars. Also plenty of time to divulge in the thing I love more than that. Driving. And adventures with cars. They are fun too. Like Europe 2016 ;-)
Europe 2016 is a starter for us. The project based role I have means I struggle to get odd days off but can book out weeks off if I know early enough. Not sure I would bring a car back but I am tempted to take a 964, maybe Herman on a return journey or the Turbo 3.6 on a one way journey.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^ That was an epic drive JMc - I reckon we were not far off targa tour speed and probably exceeded (though I can not officially confirm or deny). Doing the trip at dawn in a Porsche convoy with good mates is about as good as life gets :-)
The whole trip was epic. I feel like I've owned Herman for ages, but the reality is that I've done 16,000km in just over a year. Doing the length of NZ was a very special journey, all the better because it was shared with a group of petrol heads that get on.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
To bloody right. I think some of the drives were faster than the tracks! Remember the hell mission to get to Teretonga Paul in the dark? The Mt Cook to Timaru run starting 5am was epic. I think we may have done a bit too much driving in one day on two occasions (200km Queenstown to Invercargil, 8 hours track work 200km back + Mt Cook to Timaru 240km then 8 hours on track then 3 hrs drive to Christchurch). Long day that one with the missus in the car!

I have a great film of the Crown Ranges run. The sound track from the 993 is awesome anyway (cant say the driving is exciting by Targa standards). Unfortunately bandwidth precludes me posting it. Heres a small taster...
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Europe 2016 is a starter for us. The project based role I have means I struggle to get odd days off but can book out weeks off if I know early enough. Not sure I would bring a car back but I am tempted to take a 964, maybe Herman on a return journey or the Turbo 3.6 on a one way journey.

Looks like Europe Sept 2016 is coming together! You and Jo can compete to see how rusty your French is! We'll likely spend a few months in Lake Maggiore (close to the epic alpine passes in Switzerland and France) and join you all in Sth France unless someone wants to join us early. Id did the math getting my 993 over and back for 2018 historics season. Its a bucket list for me. Its not viable for a few weeks, maybe if you leave the car there for 12 months and venture back again would be worth it. Roughly 15K NZD return and a tonne of paperwork, additional 4K for insurance and plates. My swiss guy can sort it all out. Taking the 964T for a last raz on road and track would be the ticket then sell in UK and pay for the trip from the profits....
Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Having young kids - Jen and I can only fly in and fly out over 2 weeks (not really a family trip for 2 little girls......)

Super keen to see if the Ring and Spa can be done within a week as we would focus around this.

I'm too poor to bring a new car back :-(
Old 11-15-2014, 03:48 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Crown Range Repeat.

I'm "knocking the bastard off" yet again next Easter. I drive that road once a year on average and it would be one of my favourites. Not only the road but the scenery and the amazing view as you go over the saddle and get the view down to Queenstown. That morning back in March when I sneaked over very early in the morning was epic. And doing it with Richard in the GT3 on the Targa Tour was also bloody good. Nothing like the road to yourself.... No tourists and nothing coming the other way.

John, we will be in the SI for 2 weeks over Easter in the Boxster. My forming plan is to drive down on my own a week or two before and fly back, leaving the car in Wellington, Blenheim or Nelson, then flying home. Then the week before Easter we fly in, do our 2 week road trip then I'll leave the car in Chch and fly home. Then a few weeks later we will return for another long weekend before I return her home.

If Lola is up and running reliably by then I may be able to twist Jan's arm and take the 964. Jan prefers the comfort and the open air driving in the Boxster when touring, and, for long days 5+ hours I tend to agree.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jake, I'm on for the morning. It will be fine by then.

Meet 7am at Soljans Estate Winery, 366 SH 16. I'll pm you and swap mobile numbers.

I'm twisting a couple of other pcar arms to come
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, my French is still fluent, even after leaving Vila 12 years ago (trying to be humble).

Doug. I will look to do the same. Leave Herman or the Turbo 3.6 at my parents place in Waikanae before the big push. Donna would likely fly to Qtown. We want to do the Otago rail trail
Old 11-15-2014, 04:23 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Heh, we want to do the rail trail plus the tranzscenic chch to greymouth and return. Lets keep in touch over this.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?