Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ever wondered about Trofeo R as a track day tyre....mmmm think I know what Ill be putting on my GT3 track wheels if I ever buy any then.... [a me="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLQpAt5Mes"]Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo R tyre test. - YouTube[/ame]
Brilliant tyres. Soft or mixed Z221s would still have a bit of an edge on lap times (not much though - both are used in time trials) but the Rs are roadable - though poor in standing water - and much better wearing. Everyone says they like/need plenty of camber though and the 996 Turbo maxes out at 1 degree up front, so I'm waiting for some reports on how they go and last with only moderate camber.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Everything I've read said the same Walt; lots of camber needed to prevent uneven wear and early EOL. I personally wouldn't use them to their full capabilities (not enough track time and can't dial in the right camber) so wrote them off as an option for my car.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Brilliant tyres. Soft or mixed Z221s would still have a bit of an edge on lap times (not much though - both are used in time trials) but the Rs are roadable - though poor in standing water - and much better wearing. Everyone says they like/need plenty of camber though and the 996 Turbo maxes out at 1 degree up front, so I'm waiting for some reports on how they go and last with only moderate camber.
Seems consistent with what I've read. Neil felt they were definitely quicker than the MPsC1 on his GT3. I know Phil in Switzerland has just finished his summer track season with the 991 GT3 and put the Trofeo R on after 10 track days and felt they were 1-2s quicker a lap on the longer tracks, the came on later but stayed on longer - he's a very quick driver was running -2.7 front and -2.5 rear camber with shims on his GT3 and the typical sessions at Monza, Spa, Imola etc are fairly long (25 mins).

I agree the z221 are almost certainly more focused and stickier again.

What I love about the MPSC2 is their road usability. I think the Trofeo trades some if this away along with too much wet use to be a worthy single tyre use replacement but for larger tyre fitment with limited Rcomp choices these would work on track wheels to compliment some MPSS on road wheels for all season road use....
Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received my shipment of MPSS tires (getting used to spelling tires this way when talking to the US dudes) the other day and today when dropping them into CCS noticed they'd sent me 19" for the front and 18" for the rear. On close investigation I've got part of a bloke in Victoria's order (addressed to him ex tirerack, addressed to me by Fedex).

I had to pay the GST to Fedex to release the goods.

Just emailed all the details to tirerack and found a bloke by the same name as the addressee in a location close to the target address in Victoria Australia on facebook and sent him a message to let him know on FB for $1.50 (as we're not connected). Didn't know until today you can message someone not connected for a fee. Quite handy for something like this.

This will be an interesting customer service test.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Received my shipment of MPSS tires (getting used to spelling tires this way when talking to the US dudes) the other day and today when dropping them into CCS noticed they'd sent me 19" for the front and 18" for the rear. On close investigation I've got part of a bloke in Victoria's order (addressed to him ex tirerack, addressed to me by Fedex).

I had to pay the GST to Fedex to release the goods.

Just emailed all the details to tirerack and found a bloke by the same name as the addressee in a location close to the target address in Victoria Australia on facebook and sent him a message to let him know on FB for $1.50 (as we're not connected). Didn't know until today you can message someone not connected for a fee. Quite handy for something like this.

This will be an interesting customer service test.
Sorry to hear the curse is still with you mate! At least tribulations are getting progressively less dangerous to yoru health :-). Seriously though, what a stuff up. It had to happen eventually I guess but why you! Having paid the GST I cant see an easy answer to this as Tirerack dont seem at fault, Fedex will ship back to base for free if its their fault but youll need to get an exemption from customs for the replacements. Please let us know how this all pans out as Ive been anticipating a stuff up of this magnitude for years given all the bits Ive imported (I did have one too on some CF stuff for the 993 from Germany but paid no GST and the other addressee & myself sorted it out between us at our own cost as it was to hard involving the vendor who was clearly high on resin when he packed the stuff into the wrong boxes!). The biggest pain in the *** is you no doubt want/need some new tyres on your car now not next year! Good luck mate.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

arrived back in NZ yesterday on the overnight from HK. Pretty tired from too many time zone changes every few days...
My mate in Shanghai reckons he's definitely up for a repeat driving course next year... and will round up 2 or 3 more ppl. He liked it so much.
So if anyone keen looks like there will be a trip
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Just spoke to Masa. He checked out the Chch GT3. Check the car condition carefully as rego says imported as damaged.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Just spoke to Masa. He checked out the Chch GT3. Check the car condition carefully as rego says imported as damaged.
Someone has given me a similar warning too.

I understand that Luke at CCS knows the story..........
Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Michael's corner strikes again
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Sorry to hear the curse is still with you mate! At least tribulations are getting progressively less dangerous to yoru health :-). Seriously though, what a stuff up. It had to happen eventually I guess but why you! Having paid the GST I cant see an easy answer to this as Tirerack dont seem at fault, Fedex will ship back to base for free if its their fault but youll need to get an exemption from customs for the replacements. Please let us know how this all pans out as Ive been anticipating a stuff up of this magnitude for years given all the bits Ive imported (I did have one too on some CF stuff for the 993 from Germany but paid no GST and the other addressee & myself sorted it out between us at our own cost as it was to hard involving the vendor who was clearly high on resin when he packed the stuff into the wrong boxes!). The biggest pain in the *** is you no doubt want/need some new tyres on your car now not next year! Good luck mate.
Thanks Macca. I need the rear tyres, although not yet desperate thanks to John's loaner. The current fronts are fine and are only being replaced to keep the whole set the same. Hopefully big outfits like tirerack and fedex can sort this out easily. I sure can't.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Michael's corner strikes again
Mmmm. Isn't that at Jason's straight just after Michaels corner? Sorry for whomever it is...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A good day at HD. The Porsche crew were well represented. Although I wonder how the festival of speed next year will make two weekends with a significant Porsche presence.

Visited Jonno. The Grinch is fixed. The head gasket was blown and the the head needed 4mm skimmed off it. I suspect this was a problem from way back and not because we were running it up to the red zone. We also learned that a thermostat should always be run in Hondas. Now to wait for the bill. On the upside we are well and truly ready for the next outing. Maybe Walter and Paul can run BB and The Grinch at Uncles?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 AM
mrphil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Someone has given me a similar warning too.

I understand that Luke at CCS knows the story..........
thats a shame, i was looking forward to seeing the car next weekend as the owner is away this weekend

a kind person on here messaged me saying the car could have been in a crash but wasnt sure. I would like to hear the story if someone could private message me it would be great

Cheers guys
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 AM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrphil
thats a shame, i was looking forward to seeing the car next weekend as the owner is away this weekend

a kind person on here messaged me saying the car could have been in a crash but wasnt sure. I would like to hear the story if someone could private message me it would be great

Cheers guys
From what I understand the car has great options and the repair is done well. Maybe look at an offer taking this into account. The current owner should be able to fully disclose the repair, and if not a "major" the car could still be worth a look - at a price.....

Remember - everything is a bargain at the right price.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, Neil and Chris - how did you go today??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?