Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Some crazy cheap parts there. John, please promise you'll never tell us what it costs to run a Porsche!
Walter, I have kept a record of car spending since I returned from overseas. It suffices to say that it is not sustainable unless I bounce back overseas. Were it not for my expat years I suspect I would not have any Porsche in the garage let alone being able to run 19 track days in one. At a rough guesstimate I think the true cost of each track day is close to $1,000. Track and petrol accounts for $365 before you look at pads, tyres etc, repairs, enhancements. Fingers crossed all of my cars are in good shape. The more small jobs I do on them the more I sense I can do. Can't wait for the ESCO pads to arrive.

The above means 2k cup and moderate track days are my future. I'd also like to get the Turbo 3.6 out on some road trips.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Just saw your ad for the mags....beautiful!!!! There is a 964 wheels for sale thread if you want to extend your marketing
cheers! do you mean this thread? https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fs-thread.html

I'll put mine there soon. was tempted by the e28 BBS wheels in there but a better plan is to have the cup 1s for street and find a track set of 17s I like after the magnesiums have sold.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
cheers! do you mean this thread? https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fs-thread.html I'll put mine there soon. was tempted by the e28 BBS wheels in there but a better plan is to have the cup 1s for street and find a track set of 17s I like after the magnesiums have sold.
Pete's Sports Classics would be good for your car.

Re running in pads, it's all about heat. Steve reckons you can do it running around the neighbourhood with the foot on both pedals. I used my Brembos for the SITT. They were squealing a bit in Auckland but were absolutely quiet with a few miles in them. Good to see you are doing some of your own work on the car.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
Count me in Phil x 1
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get out of the neighbourhood before trying the two foot technique! but good to hear the brembos needn't be noisy. can't wait to get the esco jack stands either, will open up more meddling including hand brake adjustment and getting to an annoying vibration behind the fuel tank which is something like the fuel pump mounts.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
cheers! do you mean this thread? https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fs-thread.html

I'll put mine there soon. was tempted by the e28 BBS wheels in there but a better plan is to have the cup 1s for street and find a track set of 17s I like after the magnesiums have sold.
Thats the one. I see you've posted. Franks e28's are tasty. I really wanted those mag e26 17's but the offset would have too much of a compromise. I even rang arrow wheels to se if they could make me up a set of barrel's. Sadly they didn't have the gear. I suppose could have sent them to Rotiform before shipping but by the time they would have landed I could have bought your Cups for the same $
Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good work Sam. Ad looks good. There are some truely ghastly wheel choices on that 964 wheel for sale thread guys. Glad our Kiwi 964 owners have better taste than some of their breathen (some of those cars range from ricer to bogan!).

E28s are sweet but anyone who has owned them will tell you the centres are fragile. The crackle coating is an acquired taste I find and I suspect a bit of a brake dust trap.

The E88 are very light (forged centres) and another very nice BBS wheel - very classic and admired..
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

On a wheel note, saw some Fuchs on Trademe if anyone is interested: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-771473454.htm
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good work Sam. Ad looks good. There are some truely ghastly wheel choices on that 964 wheel for sale thread guys. Glad our Kiwi 964 owners have better taste than some of their breathen (some of those cars range from ricer to bogan!). E28s are sweet but anyone who has owned them will tell you the centres are fragile. The crackle coating is an acquired taste I find and I suspect a bit of a brake dust trap. The E88 are very light (forged centres) and another very nice BBS wheel - very classic and admired..
I read somewhere that some BBS wheels are not designed for road use. Is that why the centers are fragile on the E28?

In the scheme of things I still see factory new Fuchs as a relative bargain (acknowledging not everyone sees them belonging on a 964). A quality wheel bought new is no stories and should hold a good portion of its value over time.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John I agree there is no contest with the real Fuchs. The Rotiform ones are cartoonish and not to my taste.

The BBS are fine for the road. The E28 have a magnesium centre for extra weight savings and were only prescribed by BBS as a racing allot originally as a race team has a budget to replace the centres after each race. Hi Mg content wheels are prone to be brittle over time, fracture and are difficult to weld/repair. The E88 is the answer for a wheel being used on road and circuit. Cargraphic also make an excellent quality option as do Work.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John I agree there is no contest with the real Fuchs. The Rotiform ones are cartoonish and not to my taste. The BBS are fine for the road. The E28 have a magnesium centre for extra weight savings and were only prescribed by BBS as a racing allot originally as a race team has a budget to replace the centres after each race. Hi Mg content wheels are prone to be brittle over time, fracture and are difficult to weld/repair. The E88 is the answer for a wheel being used on road and circuit. Cargraphic also make an excellent quality option as do Work.
It may be just my 964 blinkers on, but the 964 seems to have a fair share of hot rod types as owners right now as opposed to other 911s. Big money being spent to make the cars look like low riders and heaven knows what else. Some day someone will be frantically searching for original parts, albeit maybe not flag mirrors and D90s
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I was actually a bit shocked trawling that thread and the Facebook page to see whats happening in the 964 scene. I would have thought with the UK bubble people would be favouring originality but the US and other ROW countries areas are still busy building pimp my rides. As you say eventually the worm will turn and David's prophecy regards the D90 wheels will come true. Could take and other decade or more by the looks tho!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

I was actually a bit shocked trawling that thread and the Facebook page to see whats happening in the 964 scene. I would have thought with the UK bubble people would be favouring originality but the US and other ROW countries areas are still busy building pimp my rides. As you say eventually the worm will turn and David's prophecy regards the D90 wheels will come true. Could take and other decade or more by the looks tho!
Some of it is tasteful. Some of it is horrific. Airbags in a Porsche? Yikes.

Not that my modifications are to everyone's tastes.

I have some 17" O.Z. Futuras, which look great on 964s. They need reconditioning but if anyone is desperate for some track 17s I could be convinced to part with them. I bought them to put wets on.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I must say I have tried all sorts of ways to bed in pads and found that anything on the road does not really get enough heat in to the pads to do the job properly.

Some say 5 stops in a row should do it but I have tried this 120k down to 50k - even down hill - but it doesn't quite get the job done as the first use in anger on a rally stage gets a serious burnt smell.
foot on brake and gas not that good either.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt38088
I must say I have tried all sorts of ways to bed in pads and found that anything on the road does not really get enough heat in to the pads to do the job properly.

Some say 5 stops in a row should do it but I have tried this 120k down to 50k - even down hill - but it doesn't quite get the job done as the first use in anger on a rally stage gets a serious burnt smell.
foot on brake and gas not that good either.

We didn't have those problems back in Germany. Quick spun on the Autobahn and late braking on the exit

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?