Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
I will be there, myself only.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys
can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please
got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
Just me, please.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
The 98 will be used by Doug to get to Taupo so we'll never know if it improves performance. I wouldn't imagine so.

I'll note down the cold tyre pressure. I don't recall us doing any measurement so it may have been the other groups.

Did you get a video sequence of the fastest lap? Because we could only see the main straight and barrel 51 it remains a mystery what the rest of a good lap looks like. It's a long time between drives so it will keep me thinking until 4/10. Come I think of it Doug will have the longest track driving spell of all of us at Taupo. I'll have to shadow him to see how she handles the corners.
What fuel quality does BB need?
I've put in 98 too the other day, because I didn't know.
Is 91 enough?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
x1 thanks captain phil.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralf G
What fuel quality does BB need? I've put in 98 too the other day, because I didn't know. Is 91 enough?
That's what we put in after the run with Chris B, Pete etc. never actually thought about it. I will check the net to see what standard fuel is.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It appears that the GSI is ok with 91 but a VTI-R would require premium fuel. I don't think there's any danger in running higher spec and I don't think we need to adjust the times post out 91 fill up, before that conversation starts
Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought for the comp license holders among us. If you want to enter BB in a 2kcip race then I have no issue with it. We are all putting as much stress on her in sessions and we now know how much to charge for usage. There is a meet on 23/9 that would give one or two of you a chance to get a longer drive. Just enter under RSG team. Rules are on the 2k cup website.
Just a thought for the comp license holders among us. If you want to enter BB in a 2kcip race then I have no issue with it. We are all putting as much stress on her in sessions and we now know how much to charge for usage. There is a meet on 23/9 that would give one or two of you a chance to get a longer drive. Just enter under RSG team. Rules are on the 2k cup website.
Can't speak for the other owners but I'd be OK with that too.

For the 2Kcup I think you can have as many drivers as you want, since it is the team that enters. With 4 rounds (HD, Taupo and Manfield, HD) and the format alternating each time between a straight 1 hour race or a 35 min race followed by a second 35 min race (with the top 20 finishers reverse gridded), there may be even be scope to give 6 or more drivers a go this season.

Would love a 2Kcup run at some point but with 4 motorsport related weekend activities in a row already by then, the domestic brownie point budget would not stretch to the 23rd anyway.

On her current 14 inch wheels and tyres we'd likely be dicing it out against the 4-door Taxi Cuppers rather than the front runners but it would be cheap and cheerful racing experience to run anywhere in the pack.

If the ambition is to run higher up the field, then from personal experience I can say that Direzza shod 15 inch wheels combined with the same Endless pads used in the Honda Racing Series make a big difference towards outbraking others into corners. Think you'd want to run fluid like Motul 600/660 or SRF too since the brakes would get more use in the traffic.

John, I'm happy to flick you the video of that 1:27.824 rolling lap at the end but the camera position on the harness bar meant the track disappeared under acceleration. Here are the traces - you can see where she sputtered after I shifted up and tried to accelerate between T8 and the hairpin, so I just eased her home to the pits. A few kph off hitting Chris's top speed on the straight - probably a combination of his T10 (I know he throws in an extra upshift before it while I ride the limiter for a second or so), T1 techniques and my middle aged spread.

Name:  WalterBBatHD23-08-2014-fastest rolling lap and pit on empty.gif
Views: 199
Size:  41.4 KB

She would have been built to run on 91 but with the thrashing she gets, I was planning to put 95 in her. The HD Gull didn't have that so 98 it was. It was just the 10% ethanol being OK for the fuel system that I'd rather have had confirmed. 98 achieves its Octane rating by being slower to burn (more resistant to combustion) so only helps in situations where the engine would otherwise be retarding timing on 91 to prevent pre-ignition. Unless she's pinking under load with 91 or is tuned to advance timing for 98 (unlikely), I'm with Ralf in thinking there is probably no benefit other than a better safety margin for the engine under race conditions.

Last edited by 996tnz; 08-26-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:09 PM
PHG
Racer

2 pax for me.

Is it a 4pm start ?
for sure
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Walter, send me an export of your data and when I get home on Friday I can run it against the four other faster runners to see where you are losing time.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Walter, send me an export of your data and when I get home on Friday I can run it against the four other faster runners to see where you are losing time.
Sure - we'll arrange an exchange of prisoners.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

RSG site should be back on line now after being moved to new web hosting provider! Macca and I have checked from different locations and browsers. So all good for those that were keen on 5 Oct to register.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:18 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Beaut arvo working on the 911 in the sun today, Put some new brake pads up front, New Brembo HP2000s and moved the OEM Pagids to the rear to replace the more worn Textars. Those brake pad indicators seem a little silly in design, to have to replace them every time they activate, so clipped the worn ones off and wired them together. Will just keep an eye on the pads every few months. The pedal bite is already a lot firmer so cant wait to try on track. Bedding in with a few hard stops I take it this is the best approach?

Just saw your ad for the mags....beautiful!!!! There is a 964 wheels for sale thread if you want to extend your marketing

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-original.html

Could also try vwvortex. A bunch of wheel junkies hang out in there too

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...ns-Classifieds
Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Walter's post got me moving. I have spoken to Gary and the 4th is ok to run BB in two car groups.

Based on the feedback to date, two runs are preferred over one to get the best time on the day, so that means 3 drivers per group, or 6 on the day.

Right now, I have the following as definitely interested:

Dave
Doug
Sam
Ralf
Matt G
John

I have gone ahead and booked and paid for two slots at HD on 4/10. The cost is $46.75 each. I'll fix out the indemnity forms. Could the five joining me please credit my account at RSG for the above amount? We can do fine adjustments on the day if someone lucks out with a third session. Equally, if plans change then it sounds like others will jump in. No refunds if it's moist or worse. I'll still run.

Sam, you are the only one likely to have to buy two sessions credit ($50), the others have two or more sessions credit after paying $100.
Sorted
Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave.

Just realised I never showed the workings for the Maintenance fee. Here it is. Braking is a significant portion of the cost!
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dave.

Just realised I never showed the workings for the Maintenance fee. Here it is. Braking is a significant portion of the cost!
Some crazy cheap parts there. John, please promise you'll never tell us what it costs to run a Porsche!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?