Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I know to the $ how much I've spent on cars and it is truly scary.
Interesting how we each manage fear, I stopped keeping spreadsheets as the numbers were so scary. My approach is ignorance is bliss........

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it - did the tree really fall?

Well my take on this proverb is

If I spend money on the car and the wife doesn't see my visa statement, did the money really get spent?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Come on Paul You know what John is saying. Hes not saying you would be scared of DRIVING it on the track just that given your self confessed hanging up of the 993 gloves on the basis of wear/tear and stone chips and new your uno appointed status as "bonnet polisher brigade member". An appreciating Relic worth as much as very nice 997.2 GT3 just wound work for you in reality (even tho you dream it would). Just keeping you honest mate that's all ;-)
Gen I maybe - Gen II is too much of a stretch, especially given that manual 993's are now sub $40K cars
Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
They can't spell Grammar...........

(My spelling is bad enough, my kid's need all the help they can get)
Cute. Maybe I just left that in there to see if your Auckland Boys Grammar education would spot it?

Seriously tho. I cant spell for crap (as you all know). I turned out ok aye? As long as they do something they love they will be good at it and as long as they are good at something they will make money out of it. Ive got a few degrees (in Shadows and elicit substances) . Half the private school kids struggled to tie their own shoe laces at University and the true super stars were always from the public sector. The key it seems was giving them enough at home to make them want to get to the "hallowed halls" with their own steam in the first place. The ones that were doing it all for their parents probably still are...its like the Matrix (dont start me...)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I've spent is paying maintenance forward. Use it less agressively and it will last longer. I'm planning to have these cars for a long time.
John, if it makes you sleep better at night, you just sell yourself on dollar averaging over the long run mate.

I'm sure you have done all the 'hard yards' now and there are no more big bills to come

Sorry mate - I'm onto my second Bacardi.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gen I maybe - Gen II is too much of a stretch, especially given that manual 993's are now sub $40K cars
I wasnt talking about your Relic I was talking about the one you are complaining not to buy (Johns Relic). His Relic would cost you same as nice 997.2 GT3 today. But I cant tell you know which one you will enjoy driving more ;-)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Cute. Maybe I just left that in there to see if your Auckland Boys Grammar education would spot it?

Seriously tho. I cant spell for crap (as you all know). I turned out ok aye? As long as they do something they love they will be good at it and as long as they are good at something they will make money out of it. Ive got a few degrees (in Shadows and elicit substances as well) and I can tell you that all that hard earned money did jack sh$t for the in the end game. Half the private school kids struggled to tie their own shoe laces at University and the true super stars were always from the public sector. The key it seems was giving them enough at home to make them want to get to the "hallowed halls" with their own steam in the first place. The ones that were doing it all for their parents probably still are...its like the Matrix (dont start me...)
That's OK Macca - I'm slightly dyslexic.

Did you sell your Rolling Stones tickets? Jen's making noises about wanting to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

John, if it makes you sleep better at night, you just sell yourself on dollar averaging over the long run mate. I'm sure you have done all the 'hard yards' now and there are no more big bills to come Sorry mate - I'm onto my second Bacardi.
No choice but to button off. I need to finish the house and that's a lot of DIY to come. Time to test some lighting skills, then retaining wall, then tiling...

If a car lets go big time, I have plenty of room to park it up and fix it myself. Just not much spare time right now.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

John, we need to hang out with the air cooled 911 group mate and do Sunday drives and coffee.

I will have Macca's five year old crappy tires on the car at Taupo, so you have your chance to take a 993 kill.............

With Jen coming - I'm more interested in what we are doing on Thursday and Friday night. We need to plan something cool.

Besides - Macca has a cage in the 991 GT3, so looking forward to having a few passenger rides.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Interesting how we each manage fear, I stopped keeping spreadsheets as the numbers were so scary. My approach is ignorance is bliss........

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it - did the tree really fall?

Well my take on this proverb is

If I spend money on the car and the wife doesn't see my visa statement, did the money really get spent?
Emu syndrome. I subscribe to it too. Stopped recording the 993 2-3 years back and havent even got a spreadsheet for the GT3. Ignorance is definitely bliss!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, we need to hang out with the air cooled 911 group mate and do Sunday drives and coffee.

I will have Macca's five year old crappy tires on the car at Taupo, so you have your chance to take a 993 kill.............

With Jen coming - I'm more interested in what we are doing on Thursday and Friday night. We need to plan something cool.

Besides - Macca has a cage in the 991 GT3, so looking forward to having a few passenger rides.
Hey those rears were brand new January last year and saw about 500km of use before you got them!

Thursday night is sorted. Friday night I suspect we will all be asleep by 8.30pm as we have one of those famous SITT hell dark morning 5am runs for 180km to Fielding before another 8 hours of track work! you might be partying by yourself mate? Looks like we both have our Bdays on this trip...
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's OK Macca - I'm slightly dyslexic.

Did you sell your Rolling Stones tickets? Jen's making noises about wanting to go.
Sorry mate. They went within a day of mentioning them.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, we need to hang out with the air cooled 911 group mate and do Sunday drives and coffee. I will have Macca's five year old crappy tires on the car at Taupo, so you have your chance to take a 993 kill............. With Jen coming - I'm more interested in what we are doing on Thursday and Friday night. We need to plan something cool. Besides - Macca has a cage in the 991 GT3, so looking forward to having a few passenger rides.
Weren't the early 911 group having a debate on the invasion of the short hoods? I'm sure I saw something then it disappeared.

That aside, yes I'm keen to get out more casually, especially over Summer. Doug can drive Herman again so I can get some GoPro footage this time. I'd never seen the Fuchs in motion before...mesmerising.

I think the bulk of the ladies are arriving on Friday night. Isn't Thursday movie night?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

yea the stripe is styled after a gulf stripe with black edging, debated having a gap and thin outer orange on each side but space between the bonnet vents is not wide enough to make that look good. So there you have it.
True its more economical to do this with Toyota bits. Only thing is the Targa car is apart too. Turbo refurbished, gearbox checked, shocks dyno'd, .......

John I completely agree - you can use it a bit less aggressively and it will last a lot longer. rev it 600rpm less and take care of the gearbox. Braking and corner speeds can be the same as brakes and tyres are just consumables. It will be just as much fun and maybe 1 sec slower than a kamikaze lap. Very often on trackdays I won't use second gear even though I know it might be faster - on SITT my self imposed rule was 6000rpm and no second gear (red line 7000). I did end up using 6500 intermittently but never used second. It forces you to get the braking and entry speed right and be smooth. and that in itself is part of the fun too
Old 08-28-2014, 06:26 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
yea the stripe is styled after a gulf stripe with black edging, debated having a gap and thin outer orange on each side but space between the bonnet vents is not wide enough to make that look good. So there you have it. True its more economical to do this with Toyota bits. Only thing is the Targa car is apart too. Turbo refurbished, gearbox checked, shocks dyno'd, ....... John I completely agree - you can use it a bit less aggressively and it will last a lot longer. rev it 600rpm less and take care of the gearbox. Braking and corner speeds can be the same as brakes and tyres are just consumables. It will be just as much fun and maybe 1 sec slower than a kamikaze lap. Very often on trackdays I won't use second gear even though I know it might be faster - on SITT my self imposed rule was 6000rpm and no second gear (red line 7000). I did end up using 6500 intermittently but never used second. It forces you to get the braking and entry speed right and be smooth. and that in itself is part of the fun too
And you were still overtaking us
Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul
no return from you re the 7th..
Not allowed?
Or just Porsche'd out with the PCC demands

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?