Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez Phil. Talk about coming up for air! That's impressive...

Steve Burgess - name rings a bell but cant quite place it...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:51 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Phil, 26th is twilight. Both RSG and Normal sessions are sold out, but Chris could be a no show in the Normal group so that may lessen his pain if you take that over. That said I'm in the normal group and am not sure I want a 996TT on (crap) Z221s hunting me down. I am getting a new set fitted to the C4 this weekend. They are my favourite tyre bar none. Needless to say I'm out of pocket a lot more than you are and I don't have rims to keep afterwards.
Hi John, my sick sense of humour..I note you love the 221's and advise anybody who asks, not to buy them..hence my salesman thing.. keep the competition behind you they say..ask Macca
You are welcome to borrow those rims whenever, should you desire. Mayhaps see you there then, I may have a charter that day, awaiting comfirmation before committing to HD
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Phil. You don't miss anything! Goodonya. Must catch up march/April before or after SITT...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Phil, there will be Chris' slot most likely on the the twilight session. Or you could share my session as I'll have the air sucker which I'm taking turns with Dave and the water cooled for the other runs. So every second run will be free.... At least. I've experienced no brakes once in my old Boxster at HD running new std fluid coming into Pitt lane. Pedal went allt eh way to the floor. Awful feeling. Since then run SRF and never an issue. Bleed every 4-5 track days, plan to replace annually. Looking forward to learning what caused the failure, else we're just guessing.

Edit: fixed my autocorrect and other "Macca like" typos :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
John. The differences will be subtle and within the margin of error of your reaction time. The behaviour of the car with LWFC under wide open throttle (WOT) out of corners should not differ remarkably from before. If the chip can give you slightly better throttle sensitivity (TPS acuity) and solve your stalling issues when the car is cold then its job done. If you really want to test the difference precisely use a dyno. Its not expensive and will provide some AFR v TQ & HP traces to send Steve so he can refine the programming on the chip.
Chip arrived and installed.

First thing is the LWF drive ability. Greatly improved. To those that don't know, the lack of intertia on the flywheel leads to a rapid loss of revs when off the gas and raises the possibility of stalling if the ECU doesn't react quickly enough coming to a rest. The chip solved that completely. Idle is also rock solid.

The next point is partial throttle response. It feels like 'full fat' milk compared to the normal 'trim'. Like the car is ready to rumble. Almost like the engine has a bias to rev not rest. possibly disconcerting to a cruiser but feels great for the performance loving driver.

Lastly, power. I went to a local quiet location, set the AIM solo to learn a short track, then did multiple runs in first and second gear. The goal was to get to 2,000 rpm in second, then floor it - wide open throttle. The resultant traces are below. Power (line incline) shows what you predicted Macca, planting boot does not show any advantage to the 911 Chip vs the stock one. No idea how I would measure partial throttle response objectively, so I won't bother.

Overall I'm impressed. Drive ability more particularly partial throttle and LWF responses make this well worth the money. If you have a sneaky one waiting to be installed, Paul! Do it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add to the above. Red traces are runs with the stock chip and blue are the Steve Wong chip. 33km/hr should be 2,000 rpm in second. The reason the traces are in different places is that I had to get the car to 2,000 rpm first and couldn't do it on a roll at the same place each time. Repeating myself, it's the angle of the incline that's important, and they look the same on wide open throttle.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Had a long chat with Paul last night and checked on Chris this morning (he'll likely update the group himself today).

Thought was to have another casual get together pre SITT. Happy to host the same way as last time. Maybe convince partners/wives who are going to Queenstown to turn up and meet each other as well. Free format. Nothing over the top, just people with common interests having a gas bag. Weekend of 22/23rd looks best considering Targa and Cape Reinga trip come after that. Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

BTW I realise 26th is a BBQ. Not looking to compete, just a different theme and guests
Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chip arrived and installed.

First thing is the LWF drive ability. Greatly improved. To those that don't know, the lack of intertia on the flywheel leads to a rapid loss of revs when off the gas and raises the possibility of stalling if the ECU doesn't react quickly enough coming to a rest. The chip solved that completely. Idle is also rock solid.

The next point is partial throttle response. It feels like 'full fat' milk compared to the normal 'trim'. Like the car is ready to rumble. Almost like the engine has a bias to rev not rest. possibly disconcerting to a cruiser but feels great for the performance loving driver.

Lastly, power. I went to a local quiet location, set the AIM solo to learn a short track, then did multiple runs in first and second gear. The goal was to get to 2,000 rpm in second, then floor it - wide open throttle. The resultant traces are below. Power (line incline) shows what you predicted Macca, planting boot does not show any advantage to the 911 Chip vs the stock one. No idea how I would measure partial throttle response objectively, so I won't bother.

Overall I'm impressed. Drive ability more particularly partial throttle and LWF responses make this well worth the money. If you have a sneaky one waiting to be installed, Paul! Do it.
Great write up John and all as I expected. The reality is you could spend $10,000 on chips, new MAF conversion, cone filter, new cams and high flow car on this car and still be licky to see a 20bhp lift in power. Porsche squeezed pretty much all they could from it - the extra 20 bhp of the 993 (which comes iwth a weight penalty oove rthe 964 C2 of around 20+ kg also) was only really the result of MAF/airbox and exhaust.

Anyway the chip is useful for improving your LWFW stalling issue. The steady idle is due to Steve bumping the idle speed up to around 850 rpm and will also help to reduce the stalling. The improved throttle response is kinda psychological as no inertia has been removed from the drive train - they play with the TPS % and essentially if feels like you are 50% depressed when you are 40%. You will grow used to it and not notice it in a short while but in the interim the car feels more urgent (on dyno, track and road the data traces will ultimately show no difference). I spend much time learning the Motronic ECU for the change to LINK. Its a simple system but has its limitations.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Obviously the dates dont work for me, but as you were ;-p
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had a long chat with Paul last night and checked on Chris this morning (he'll likely update the group himself today).

Thought was to have another casual get together pre SITT. Happy to host the same way as last time. Maybe convince partners/wives who are going to Queenstown to turn up and meet each other as well. Free format. Nothing over the top, just people with common interests having a gas bag. Weekend of 22/23rd looks best considering Targa and Cape Reinga trip come after that. Thoughts?
22nd works for Kim and I - great idea. Don't worry about the 26th - that will comprise a sausage and a piece of bread if you're lucky!

Looking forward to hearing first hand from Chris!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Obviously the dates dont work for me, but as you were ;-p
You just get back to your Hammock & Tusker Macca...!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

22nd works for us too. I just need a time for booking baby sitter.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Does anyone know why Chris brakes failed? Or if this is common with 964's?

Could it have been something that was checked and not retightened at compliance?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
22nd works for us too. I just need a time for booking baby sitter.
Children not a problem. You can bring them in the 993, to prove the concept

Does lunch or early evening work better, if you need to find a babysitter?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?