Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Um, yes...my advice would be to take it back to the guy who unplugged it.
Even better, he came to me. Great after service service.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:33 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

997 cups getting cheaper all the time
Old 04-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok. Quick update . Joanna will be updating everyone who has contributed through the fundraiser website "Update" function.

We got our internet back yesterday and power a week ago so things are looking up for us! For many power and internet are still a dream.

We have had a run of good weather here. House No.1 is 5.2 x 9m home for family of 4/5. We cut the footing, made the steel cage, poured the footing then built two block high base (400mm) with steel rod reinforcement and poured the block then backfilled, set mesh and poured a 100mm concrete slab this week. The "pad" is now completed, the timber has been delivered and the wall framing and roof rafters are under construction and should take around 5 more days to complete! We have ordered all we need barring electrical and plumbing. The roofing iron will arrive from New Zealand late next week we are told (and very much hoping it will be delivered the following week for completion of the first house). The second house we are building is ready for the cage to be completed tomorrow. We hope to have a slab completed by the end of next week. The real challenge is paying for and getting the supplies before everyone else takes them. Skilled labour is tough to find too. We have managed to do well so far on all front but there are always surprises along the way! Whilst these projects are under-way we are repairing two other houses in the village and giving building advise to a number of others also working with their donors to provide similar assistance to the local people. Luckily we had a residential construction business in Vanuatu a number of years ago so just refreshing some rusty project management skills :-).

The fundraiser has been well subscribed and we are on our way to our stretch target. The amazing support of all on RL and the 991 GT3 board as well as the RL New Zealand board has been overwhelming. Joanna and I and the people we are working to assist are forever indebted. We have a challenging few weeks ahead of us then we travel to NZ for supplies and R&R. The last three weeks were the toughest (perhaps we are soft from easy living). Things getting much easier now. Its definitely been a "life altering event" for us in that it has reset our priorities and expectations in life and made us realise how privileged we all are - a journey I think we had already started on before Cyclone Pam - its also demonstrated what a great cluster of enthusiasts we are a part of!

P.S. A few extra shots here:
Washing day in the village.
Banking Island Village style. John McMs worked at the slightly larger ANZ branch down the road when he lived here 10 years back ;-)
Unicef erect 100's of temporary schools around the country!
Attached Images        
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Wow - wonder what he is moving to? Would have to be 991 Cup car if he wants to win the championship. It's a real arms race at the top!

Biggest question - what will you be driving...?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Wow - wonder what he is moving to? Would have to be 991 Cup car if he wants to win the championship. It's a real arms race at the top! Biggest question - what will you be driving...?
Paul rang me while I was at Millys and almost cost me a Kitchen Aid while we talked about this development. Simon G will only accept one outcome, a win. He's either upgrading or chucking it in. I don't want to call and ask because he might turn the conversation to 944s
Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good work Macca, I'm so impressed I'll chuck some more money in.

As for my Vanuatu sojourn. I left Vila in November 2002. Looks like it is exactly the same, although my office overlooked the harbour and had air con.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul rang me while I was at Millys and almost cost me a Kitchen Aid while we talked about this development.
Lol, that's funny! Apparently I approved the purchase of a ridiculously priced pair of trainers the other night while reading rennlist!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Wow - wonder what he is moving to? Would have to be 991 Cup car if he wants to win the championship. It's a real arms race at the top!

Biggest question - what will you be driving...?
Something uber light weight.........
Attached Images  

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-09-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ok. Quick update . Joanna will be updating everyone who has contributed through the fundraiser website "Update" function.
Macca - hope you aren't like those South Auckland Churches where you name and shame those who gave small donations.......

(better increase that $5 donation............)

As for project management skills - there is more to it than standing around and watching (oop's, I mean supervising) others..........Well so I hear, this is about as far as my PM skills extend..........

I should express my concerns over H&S, no transformer, tagged tools, isolated construction zone from the public, H&S notices, can't see the sign-in register or any PPE?

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-09-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Lol, that's funny! Apparently I approved the purchase of a ridiculously priced pair of trainers the other night while reading rennlist!
Chris, the secret is to get in first with the toys
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Chris, the secret is to get in first with the toys
Yeah, I can't really complain about my toy allocation!

Hey are you running GT6? Have to buy a new PlayStation this week as PS3 is dead! What set up is the right one... Without going overboard!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moochier
Yeah, I can't really complain about my toy allocation! Hey are you running GT6? Have to buy a new PlayStation this week as PS3 is dead! What set up is the right one... Without going overboard!
Yes, GT6.

Logitech G27 wheel, pedals and gear lever. Tried to play it without buying a seat etc but it's so difficult to get a good driving position that I splashed out on a seat. All bought on Trademe. The wheel was a CBD supplier and I picked up the seat etc from Albany for $349. It is designed for the G27 setup so everything fits. The game was $35. The biggest pain right now is going through the lower levels to unlock the international circuits like Bathurst.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good work Macca, I'm so impressed I'll chuck some more money in. As for my Vanuatu sojourn. I left Vila in November 2002. Looks like it is exactly the same, although my office overlooked the harbour and had air con.
John your office still stands!!

Paul, if H&S existed here I would never have chosen to live here lol!

I don't work on the tools. Probably a good thing aye!! I know how to build a basic house, foundations, rafter schedule, bomb beams (solid masonry construction) though I picked up basic plumbing and electrical along the way so design basic lighting plans and flow plex circuits. I imported/employed by brother who is a kiwi builder when we started building and learnt a lot from him. He's still building here 7 years on. The last two expat houses I did on my own as my local builder went troppo.

Everyone I know has donated very generously and that includes you Buba :-)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John your office still stands!!
All but my last year was with the French and Americans. The French knew how to design a cyclone proof building.

I was a bit naive with my first cyclone and went windsurfing at Mele bay in the initial winds. I got catapulted by a gust and my car keys were knocked out of my harness into the Bay. I had to break a car window to get to the second set or risk leaving the car at the Beach during the cyclone.

Although I still have all my windsurfing gear I think it's as likely that I'll get back out there on the water as Paul will on his BMX

Btw You may still recognise some of the staff around town. How I eventually ended up as Chief Risk Officer with ANZ in Indonesia with 3,000 employees from this start is still somewhat amazing. I like to think that all of the situations thrown at me working in the Vanuatu environment gave me a head start over people working in structured first world environments. If something happened in Vanuatu you fixed it. In NZ you form a committee.
Attached Images    

Last edited by John McM; 04-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

All but my last year was with the French and Americans. The French knew how to design a cyclone proof building. I was a bit naive with my first cyclone and went windsurfing at Mele bay in the initial winds. I got catapulted by a gust and my car keys were knocked out of my harness into the Bay. I had to break a car window to get to the second set or risk leaving the car at the Beach during the cyclone. Although I still have all my windsurfing gear I think it's as likely that I'll get back out there on the water as Paul will on his BMX Btw You may still recognise some of the staff around town. How I eventually ended up as Chief Risk Officer with ANZ in Indonesia with 3,000 employees from this start is still somewhat amazing. I like to think that all of the situations thrown at me working in the Vanuatu environment gave me a head start over people working in structured first world environments. If something happened in Vanuatu you fixed it. In NZ you form a committee.
Images of Buba on his BMX are amusing. John you don't look older just more folically challenged :-). banque Hawaii building still stands and looks the same. iIRC Cyclone Uma in 87 punched out the mid floor windows and the found fish inside? Impressive given its distance from the water!

Vanuatu has taught us many practical skills. Mostly in "the real world" we try not to use them as there are committees to manage such things are we are far to quick to adapt. However it's always reassuring if you know you can do it yourself if you have to. Certainly living here changes your perception of "risk".

I was at a local DPR fundraiser quiz night last night with Janet Fruen, Vicky Seagoe, Chrystelle (Vicky girlfriend!) and Vickys daughter (young, french and gorgeous). They were at the neighbouring table. Wish I had these photos yesterday :-)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?