Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro I won't be using. It's a bit rough compared to a 991 GT3 but it's never let me down. Done 205kms so won't be offended if you have a better offer. I won't take cash but I need you to post a minimum of 100 words on why the 964 is the best 911 ever and a sentence on why Turbos are superior.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! That a hard sell trust me :-). I've even tried Grandads old 1992 Laser (5spd, manual windows, no power steering and no air con). He bought it new and left it to us when he died at 92. Its on the road and gets used for "taking stuff to the tip". Im actually surprised the council havent taken it away yet! At parking speeds Jo struggles to actually turn the wheel.

The day is nearing when we need to buy something permanent. Im trying to push that off till there might be something interesting to organise a trip around and import from UK/Europe. Shouldn't have sold the M5 but the 991 GT3 is using that loaned parking space. I stupidly thought she could utilise one of the 911s but shes made it clear shes not prepared to be "that responsible". I think it might be back to the Hertz crowd. Will be paying the lower excess premium and taking extensive footage under, over, inside and outside the car!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Pete, I'm holding off committing because I don't know if I will have any track worthy tyres left post NITT and I understood BB is excluded from RSG runs. I am a possible depending on tyres.
John I have 3 sets of track wheels and would happily lend you a set.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive probably left this too late again. Anyone have a spare household car they want to turn into a bit of cash in September (informal rental)? Jo needs something to drive 06-11 Sept and 17-21 (10 days rental). She's not interested in my 911s. Still a bit gun shy after the "Rental Car Saga" earlier this year. She's a conservative driver. Anyone want to earn a bit of cash for a car they are not intending to use over those two weeks (excludes time away on NITT) please let me know.....
Macca, I need cash for parts if Jo was happy with my Cayenne S SUV it's available
Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
John I have 3 sets of track wheels and would happily lend you a set.
Thanks Doug, but it looks like I'm sorted on that front. Right now I'm trying to identify the source of a red liquid patch on the garage floor. Hoping like mad that it's not Herman's steering rack. If it is I might run shot gun with you in BB....
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks Doug, but it looks like I'm sorted on that front. Right now I'm trying to identify the source of a red liquid patch on the garage floor. Hoping like mad that it's not Herman's steering rack. If it is I might run shot gun with you in BB....
Fingers crossed on that front. If it is Conti's have someone local who's been around for years who refurbishes them. That's where mine will go
Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 AM
O2GO
Drifting

At Whangarei en route to Oakura. First time up here since Queen's birthday weekend I think
Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Warwick - what's the latest on Mr Black?
Hey Jason

How was your trip?

Finally got him back. 4 week wait for a $3 part. Finally had the valve service performed and sealed up that diff.

Check out surprise in the pic below! I'm astounded how well these cars are engineered. That valve has been operating on the little spring for who knows how long Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference in drivability though I am glad we found it. No damage done to any of the valve train. The seat washer is pretty chewed up though you can't really see in the pic
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Macca, I need cash for parts if Jo was happy with my Cayenne S SUV it's available
You are a star Doug. She's very happy with that option. Ill drop you a PM to work out the finance and logistics....

John. Unfortunately that does sound like hydraulic fluid. Its quite likely its the rack. Age related. I half expect myself and others to have a similar issue with time (touching wood) as one of the last things left I haven't done preventively. Call Deano in the morning, from memory they can have it rebuilt locally. You could get it turned around in time for NITT if you got onto it now. It will only get worse with track driving. I think it can be rebuilt locally at reasonable cost - but of labour to get it in and out of there thats all...let us know the verdict.

Warwick. Unbelievable! You are so lucky (or maybe Jason was too). That could so easily had led to a valve, guide and cam job. Go buy a lotto ticket. Very very impressed it hung in there on the inner spring alone but i can see the scoring on the spring retainer seat. Wow!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Yes very lucky. My maintenance plan doesn't cover a engine rebuild at the moment
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
You are a star Doug. She's very happy with that option. Ill drop you a PM to work out the finance and logistics....

John. Unfortunately that does sound like hydraulic fluid. Its quite likely its the rack. Age related. I half expect myself and others to have a similar issue with time (touching wood) as one of the last things left I haven't done preventively. Call Deano in the morning, from memory they can have it rebuilt locally. You could get it turned around in time for NITT if you got onto it now. It will only get worse with track driving. I think it can be rebuilt locally at reasonable cost - but of labour to get it in and out of there thats all...let us know the verdict.

Warwick. Unbelievable! You are so lucky (or maybe Jason was too). That could so easily had led to a valve, guide and cam job. Go buy a lotto ticket. Very very impressed it hung in there on the inner spring alone but i can see the scoring on the spring retainer seat. Wow!
I'm still hoping it's the Golf. I can't see any more drips. No time to get it done before NITT if it is gone as I'm away next week.

That wasn't the only Porsche present today. I took the Turbo 3.6 to work this week and it felt a bit bouncy at idle. I now think I know what it is. Both engine mounts look completely shagged.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

I had my steering rack on the 993 done a couple of years ago by Powerhaus. Contemplated doing it myself but given the consequences should it fail I decided to let them do it... plus I didn't really have the time. From memory Powerhaus sent it to Auckland for reconditioning.

Brian who owns the RUF993 on TM has done it and wrote a DIY on the 993 forum.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Other side is even worse. A quick look at Pelican Parts has the OEM version at USD 457 each. A mere NZD 1,400 for two, landed in NZ.

Luckily, a rush of blood to the head last year saw me replace Herman's perfectly good mounts with race ones so I have a spare set to put in the Turbo 3.6 and they have the right part numbers, which is important to the obsessive types.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The other side
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2014, 05:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I had my steering rack on the 993 done a couple of years ago by Powerhaus. Contemplated doing it myself but given the consequences should it fail I decided to let them do it... plus I didn't really have the time. From memory Powerhaus sent it to Auckland for reconditioning.

Brian who owns the RUF993 on TM has done it and wrote a DIY on the 993 forum.
The DIY is 8/10 on difficulty. I need my ESCO jack stands to seriously look at tackling this. Even then I'm not sure I have the time with house renovation and a work schedule that looks Dingo land centric in the New Year.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?