Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
In the meantime you might have to put up with this T Shirt" it should arrive soon.
Ha ha!

Been listening to the amazing supercars starting up

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage
Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Hey Matt, turns out I kind of met that goal, but only in a similarly theoretical way. The leaderboard rules, but here's some similar bench racing. Finally found a download cable for Tony's AIM and pulled my Saturday runs into RaceStudio 2 (left the files on there for Tony to do his own later) and found the theoretical best for just mine was a 1:25.171. That was after deleting all my 'first laps' and other garbage which had a couple of weird artefacts (gave a 1.13.668 theoretical LOL) then checking that the remaining fastest splits married up OK with the next fastest. Also checked the split before and after each of the fastest ones was a decent time, to make sure I didn't accidentally include any banzai runs into corners at the cost of exit speeds for instance (I did go for a wee wander at T8 once - just drove it wide enough to include some kitty litter). As previously pointed out, I'm not sure that a theoretical best is actually achievable (track positions/suspension loadings may vary too much etc etc) but I'm pretty keen on another date with her sometime soon to try and find out. More realistically, my best rolling lap (ie continuously driven but measured at an optimal start-finish line instead of the real one) was a 1:27.824 spanning my last two laps of the day. Happy to wait for others to get more seat time, but count me in for another drive anytime. She is a ton of fun!
Walter, when did you ride shotgun with Ray, was it just before you nailed the fastest lap?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
OMG. What a bitsa. Seriously ugly. Infact looks better after the remodelling job IMO!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ha ha!

Been listening to the amazing supercars starting up

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage
Cars weren't the thing that interested me in that video...;-)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Ha, that's the thing I spotted being towed post-crash last month: https://rennlist.com/forums/11530550-post15829.html
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Beaut arvo working on the 911 in the sun today, Put some new brake pads up front, New Brembo HP2000s and moved the OEM Pagids to the rear to replace the more worn Textars. Those brake pad indicators seem a little silly in design, to have to replace them every time they activate, so clipped the worn ones off and wired them together. Will just keep an eye on the pads every few months. The pedal bite is already a lot firmer so cant wait to try on track. Bedding in with a few hard stops I take it this is the best approach?

It all took some time, definitely not going to be in a pit crew anytime soon! had thoughts earlier in the day of getting the Meguiars DA and wax out too after seeing Mr Black, If you guys need a reason to buy a black car there it is! Is that black schwartz metallic (738) like mine? I take it there are 3 versions of the black that year. with differing amounts of metallic.

Next on the list is repair the a set of CV boots with a kit coming from Pelican and install Doug's primary bypass, looking forward to the new rumble with that.

I'll patch throughout the $50 for the next session John, thanks for keeping on top of all the figures with the beast.

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 AM
PHG
Racer

Hey Guys
can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please
got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Walter, when did you ride shotgun with Ray, was it just before you nailed the fastest lap?
Riding in Ray's certainly helped. Having done less than 50kms total of manual driving in the last 8 years, my first session was nothing flash (some pretty atrocious laps) as I got to grips with combining left foot braking with heel-and-toe downshifts. I don't have the times to hand just now but the basic progression of best laps per session went something like 1.33.3, 131.3, 130.13, 128.880. I actually pulled my very last and - up to that spot fastest - lap short and limped into the pits. She spluttered just before the hairpin from being low on fuel (just over $105 went in straight after) so I switched to maxing economy rather than speed, but of the 8 splits completed up to that point, 4 were my fastest of the day. Even the slowest lap in that last session was faster than the fastest lap in my first one.

Looking at the sequence of times above, between which of them would you guess I'd been for a 5 or 6 lap ride with Ray?

Not obvious perhaps, but it was right in the middle, just after lunch. Even in my own car, I find my times improve by a few seconds in the course of a day, but the greatest thing I got out of the ride with Ray was confirmation that I still had room to push harder while remaining a driver rather than an idiot. That's alongside the other observations from that ride, which I shared earlier.

Appreciated those who ran her the weekend prior too. The 25 psi cold tyres all round (well, 24 on the left front) had nice even temperature spreads across the tread when hot, as Tony found, and they drove nicely.

Hopefully the 98 agrees with her too and all our times keep tumbling.

Last edited by 996tnz; 08-26-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys
Hi Phil. Will be there with bells on - probably sans accountant/love of my life.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Phil. Myself and wife please!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys can you all let me know who is coming on 7th, and 1 or 2 pax, please got to make sure the glasses are clean..!
2 pax for me.

Is it a 4pm start ?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Riding in Ray's certainly helped. Having done less than 50kms total of manual driving in the last 8 years, my first session was nothing flash (some pretty atrocious laps) as I got to grips with combining left foot braking with heel-and-toe downshifts. I don't have the times to hand just now but the basic progression of best laps per session went something like 1.33.3, 131.3, 130.13, 128.880. I actually pulled my very last and - up to that spot fastest - lap short and limped into the pits. She spluttered just before the hairpin from being low on fuel (just over $105 went in straight after) so I switched to maxing economy rather than speed, but of the 8 splits completed up to that point, 4 were my fastest of the day. Even the slowest lap in that last session was faster than the fastest lap in my first one. Looking at the sequence of times above, between which of them would you guess I'd been for a 5 or 6 lap ride with Ray? Not obvious perhaps, but it was right in the middle, just after lunch. Even in my own car, I find my times improve by a few seconds in the course of a day, but the greatest thing I got out of the ride with Ray was confirmation that I still had room to push harder while remaining a driver rather than an idiot. That's alongside the other observations from that ride, which I shared earlier. Appreciated those who ran her the weekend prior too. The 25 psi cold tyres all round (well, 24 on the left front) had nice even temperature spreads across the tread when hot, as Tony found, and they drove nicely. Hopefully the 98 agrees with her too and all our times keep tumbling.
The 98 will be used by Doug to get to Taupo so we'll never know if it improves performance. I wouldn't imagine so.

I'll note down the cold tyre pressure. I don't recall us doing any measurement so it may have been the other groups.

Did you get a video sequence of the fastest lap? Because we could only see the main straight and barrel 51 it remains a mystery what the rest of a good lap looks like. It's a long time between drives so it will keep me thinking until 4/10. Come I think of it Doug will have the longest track driving spell of all of us at Taupo. I'll have to shadow him to see how she handles the corners.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey Guys
Just me this time thanks Phil
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just a thought for the comp license holders among us. If you want to enter BB in a 2kcip race then I have no issue with it. We are all putting as much stress on her in sessions and we now know how much to charge for usage. There is a meet on 23/9 that would give one or two of you a chance to get a longer drive. Just enter under RSG team. Rules are on the 2k cup website.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Phil. Myself and wife please!
Ditto that for Kim & I.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?