Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dougie - we need to silence Herman.

I'm thinking a small investment in some 214's on 16's to lower your gearing could be a tastie investment for a 1.18.XX

This will have JMc crying into his fancy paint job at night and finally put a semi-respectable 964 lap time up.

You 964 guys are pathetic given a 993 is basically the same car, but with different fenders. I can't understand the 4 sec delta between the two cars.

You 964 guys need to stop surfing the 964 p*rn pages and get some *****........ ??
This post literally had me wetting my pants!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
I was looking for 17's. I understand there is some stock coming in late feb/mar but don't know what sizes.

Agreed Walter that's what i found too. Used a s a control tire in a number of UK race series. Also come in a couple of compounds
Ok. The good news is they are getting some more Z221. The bad news is its a 3 months+ wait. I gt caught out like this in 2014. 6 months before they gt my size in so I had to do a different size. PITA. If you like this tyre you need t keep a spare set in the shed moving forward I reckon.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
This post literally had me wetting my pants!
Steady on ladies. I think Paul has a closet 964 fetish, which is why he's a member of the FB 964 club...

On another matter, I opened the delivery from Redline tonight with trepidation and was pleased to see that It's all there, or at least I think it is. I have to trawl back on the pages and work out who ordered the red on black. No idea of the price yet. A bill will turn up at some stage
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015, 02:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Taupo Motorsport Park

Thanks for that. Loved it. Hes consistently 6 sec a lap quicker than my fasted lap with you in the car Jamie a few months back. Can you imagine that!!! Makes it look easy too!

A few observations:

Hes driving manual and using gears to slow himself down through a number of corners not brakes alone. Interesting approach especially through T1 & over the "A1 corner".

They are using AIM Smartycam HD for the front camera so must have on board telemetry recording for the laps.

The removal of the barrier into the "S" construct before the front straight improves the flow and definitely is worth some time into the subsequent corners. Looking forward to trying it.

Car handles very flat in the corners and you can sense the mid engine platform benefit through the faster corner segments.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike. You sound grounded in this stuff. Im not.

Ive been working with Dean H over the last year or so on an idea for an additional transmission cooler for the 993. Its a bit of a packaging nightmare. We have the circuit sorted and the hardware is relatively easy (Setrab). Space is tight, flow into the cooler is ok (Naca duct from transmission cover) but exit airflow still needs some work. No point having forced air into a space with no exit behind the cooler etc. Power feed for an electric pressure pump is fiddly but doable etc.

The thinking behind this is that the cooler the oil stays within the transmission the less the viscosity and properties of the oil change (within use and over time).

I think that is sound reasoning. However the filtration is something I confess I hadn't considered. I wonder if we would could run an separate filter on that circuit to improve things here. It may not be possible.

Long way from completion on this project but if we supplied the specs once finalized maybe you could suggest a filter spec?

The purpose of this is simply transmission longevity. When I upgrade the engine I will do an additional engine oil cooler. I already have an idea for this based on RUFs BTR cars.

Pic below is a race car (993) with the additional tranny oil cooler. They run with no covers so air pressure system less of an issue.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Great link Warwick. Man those pictures really capture the atmosphere! We need to organise a Rennsport Reunion VI visit with some RSG boys next year. Definitely a bucket list event!
I'm up for that.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Steady on ladies. I think Paul has a closet 964 fetish, which is why he's a member of the FB 964 club...
You might have a point. Hes right tho. You guys need to be pushing 18s already. My bets on one of the tipo boys taking the HD road 964 car record very shortly. Especially after Johns new go slow paint job. Nathan. 11 Jan. Make sure you have your Z221 scrubbed in and some fresh brake fluid! ;-P
Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Has anyone used have knowledge of Nankang NS2R semi-slick tires? They are $269 each, which represents pretty good value I wold have thought.

There is no stock of the z221 or r888 any my sizes any where in NZ
I'm seriously looking at getting these..there seems to be bugger all tires available in a matched set in nz...Ideally I'd get the hankook RS3 but the tire is not officially imported and there are no 225x40×18's in the country..to import the fronts don't seem to be worth it.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
They don't come in my sizes and can't comment directly but here are a few reviews in case no-one on here has run them:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/NS2R.htm

I wouldn't normally have let a Nankang near a Porsche but the NS2Rs look to have tested out well on drift, race and even endurance cars so provided your rears come in XL rating they're probably worth a go. They look to be a bit more road oriented than most other R-comps, which can sometimes be a plus in NZ.
they look ok but they are being compared to 3rd tier track tires such as fedral etc. Also 911 very different for tyres, rear sidewall is important s tyre construction for lighter weight japanese AWD and FWD cars not always suited to rear engine/drive platform. 129 TW. Also Nurburgring nothing like a short NZ race track with elevation. More like a fast road circuit for wear and grip.

I still think offerings from Nitto & Yoko warrant further investigation in 17 fitment.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

RS3 is definitely more a road tyre. Something like the RE11 might be easier to find?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm up for that.
Keep Sept 2016 free...
Old 12-08-2015, 03:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they look ok but they are being compared to 3rd tier track tires such as fedral etc. Also 911 very different for tyres, rear sidewall is important s tyre construction for lighter weight japanese AWD and FWD cars not always suited to rear engine/drive platform. 129 TW. Also Nurburgring nothing like a short NZ race track with elevation. More like a fast road circuit for wear and grip.

I still think offerings from Nitto & Yoko warrant further investigation in 17 fitment.
All true, but the few complaints the NS2Rs (120 compound anyway) seem to get are complaints about their sidewalls being too stiff, which is probably a favourable sign for us. Provided the load rating is sufficient in the XL rears they should behave OK.

Yes, they sit in the RS3, AD08, 888 range of performance rather than the Z221/MPSC2/TrofeoR end of things. Here's some idea of that from a Time Attack session:
Name:  NANKANG NS2R Time Attack .JPG
Views: 300
Size:  67.2 KB

Or else versus some Porsches on MPSCs:

Name:  Nankang NS2R on MX5 vs Caymans on MPSCs.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  78.1 KB

Obviously there are better tyres, but they don't look too shabby, at least in the dry. Their wet performance doesn't rate as well as their deep tread might suggest.

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-08-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:25 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep Sept 2016 free...
I know where I'll be....
Old 12-08-2015, 03:31 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
On another matter, I opened the delivery from Redline tonight with trepidation and was pleased to see that It's all there, or at least I think it is. I have to trawl back on the pages and work out who ordered the red on black. No idea of the price yet. A bill will turn up at some stage
Thanks John, looking good. Let me know the damage.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nankang NS2R may be fine. I cant find enough data on them on a 911 to know. A stiff sidewall for the rears would certainly help.

I have run only three tyres at the track. RE11, MPSC2, ZZ21. In terms of performance Id put them in that order. If Michelin Blue slicks have TWR of 40, MPSC2 have 180. I would consider them a second tier tyre (price aside) at best. They are not as good as Z221.

I know its barely scientific but heres the calibrated G traces from my 993 on Z221 and GT3 on MPSC2 on the same day, same teletry system (Vbox), track and conditions July last year. Its a snapshot of a fastest lap in each car looking at T2 through to B51. The blue line is 993. The table left hand corner shows peak G for the dotted line over B51 apex but you get a feel for the capabilities of both tyres through the trace.

Essentially although 20 years separates the two chassis and on this day the 993 was 3s a lap slower than the GT3 the 993 pulled higher peak G through all the technical corners than the GT3.

I believe the 993 on Z221 is as fast (in some places faster as seen my the T delta trace here) on the infield at HD than the 991 GT3! Amazing what older lighter cars can do in this area of the track. I suspect if you took a look at 6 cars ranging from Daves T to Nigels GT3 here with the same driver/commitment you would find very little difference in performance...

May have been many factors but on same car/conditions my estimate is that the Z221 will consistently pull 0.1-0.2G more than the MPSC2. Torfeo R I understand from users on GT3 bard are around 0.1G consistent better. My belief is the Z221 if available in 991 GT3 fitment would be the fastest typre in a comparo of the three (MPSC2, Trofeo R, Z221) by 0.05G-0.15G. Probably comparable to a Hoosier R6 with the Z214 being 0.5G again, perhaps similar to R7. My guess is the MPSC2 probably fits in around or just below the DS03G in terms of performance.

If Z221 are not available for your car and R888 etc not in stock then give the Nankang a go. Its a cheap experiment at $1200 a set fitted!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Macca; 12-08-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?