Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
LOL! I can 100% guarantee my income is way less than yours mate. Only difference is I don't do much....
Yes, but I work my *** off for a living, you're smart and only work 6 months of the year!!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

so the solutions to this problem in no order of preference...
1) keep slogging it out at the coal face until we cant drive any more - not particularly attractive
2) find some sponsors - anything helps
3) share costs - in reality this means pooling to run enough budget to compete events if the drive to get more into competition is there - if not and its social then we can just cut the activity down to the target budget right? The options here are manifold, but also more complicated eg what happens if damage - agreements etc Also much easier if its a cheaper capital cost car
Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

PCNZ sprints and regularity trials are open for registration. Sunday 15/6. The first outing for Herman since Ruapuna. Hope to see some other RSG members out there.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
PCNZ sprints and regularity trials are open for registration. Sunday 15/6. The first outing for Herman since Ruapuna. Hope to see some other RSG members out there.
Yes - sorry it's taken so long to get this out. Depending on numbers - there are probably going to be 3 sprint groups. Err.... maybe we should be snobs and do an RSG group??

John - I could put you in the fast group, given you will be sub 1.20 by now??

A flyer for the gymkhana should come out shortly too.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 05-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - sorry it's taken so long to get this out. Depending on numbers - there are probably going to be 3 sprint groups. Err.... maybe we should be snobs and do an RSG group?? John - I could put you in the fast group, given you will be sub 1.20 by now?? A flyer for the gymkhana should come out shortly too. .
No way. I put 1.23 as my time and am happy to go with the other cars doing that. It allows me to lead and still treat the gearbox kindly if conditions don't look conducive to a run at beating my personal best but also gives me a clear run if I want/need one
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
No way. I put 1.23 as my time and am happy to go with the other cars doing that. It allows me to lead and still treat the gearbox kindly if conditions don't look conducive to a run at beating my personal best but also gives me a clear run if I want/need one
What's all this talk about gear boxes?? - wheres the Red Mist, must do sub 1.20 (fist pumping) man gone I knew??

This is more ammo for Macca and I that 964 drivers are soft. You'll never be allowed in the 993 club at this rate??
Old 05-22-2014, 05:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What's all this talk about gear boxes?? - wheres the Red Mist, must do sub 1.20 (fist pumping) man gone I knew?? This is more ammo for Macca and I that 964 drivers are soft. You'll never be allowed in the 993 club at this rate?? .
Alas, that was my heyday.

Are you doing the grid? If so put me in at 1.25 and I'll try and keep up with my grid partner.

As for the 993 club, if a car hasn't got pert headlights from the drivers seat view then it's not for me
Old 05-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The main thing is you get out there and enjoy it no matter what your pace. Find your happy zone and spend as long as you like there IMO. Everyone's develops their own personality on track - it usually and extension of their real world personality. Main thing is everyone has fun whatever their lap times and budget.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main thing is you get out there and enjoy it no matter what your pace. Find your happy zone and spend as long as you like there IMO ... Main thing is everyone has fun whatever their lap times and budget.
^^^^Some good advice for life there too, Macca. Just signed up for the 15th - sprints only as trying to do the Reg trials alongside made things too frenetic for me off track, and not quite frenetic enough on (as the guy with the black flag can attest).

Everyone's develops their own personality on track - it usually and extension of their real world personality.
Yikes, has Paul been assessed? To be fair but, while it usually feels like he's trying to kill you on track, he is good enough to pass up the opportunity when it is presented for real...

Jake - if you're looking to put a toe in the Hampton water then these Reg trials (or Sprints - with a competition licence if you feel you've done enough DE/track time) are a great opportunity.

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am pretty sure that the boys in the Corsa Fiat Abarth 500 (tho the engine is now bigger than 500cc) have done every main event Targa for 19 years. And I distinctly remember a couple of years ago they beat an esteemed member of our Pclub in his classic 327 Monaro.

So just goes to show you can have a lot of fun in any machinery as long as its reliable and you can make it handle!!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

http://www.porsche.com/international...5jby5ueg%3d%3d

Can help but think this could be the ultimate Targa Tourist car. Look at it in blood red!

Just look at that stance in side profile!

Add akropovic exhaust for 15 bhp and weight savings and nice sound, change pads, put on Trofeo R compound, spec with sport bucket seats and add custom half cage (like Peter Merediths one) and well driven cant see a problem with keeping up with any of the heavy artillery on the tour. Not sure what these sell for in NZ but in UK I think around 150K NZD with the options mentioned. Id go 6 speed but interesting to note PDK uses less fuel and

New cars are so cheap relatively these days. Think, 150K for a cayman isnt much different than the launched almost 10 years back but yet what has happened to equities and commodities and house prices in that time! Apple was $100, Gold was $680 and the average Auckland house was 400K.

Relatively new cars have never been cheaper than right now and yet offer three times the technology and twice the saftey they did a decade ago....

Also for HANs type information look here:

http://news.motorsport.org.nz/fronta...bed2-406394833 c
Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

True, new cars have never been cheaper in purchase price. Not sure whether costs such as depreciation have changed. It is the one cost that keeps me in the high maintenance part of the curve as at least I can (try to) influence that with driving style and use.

I certainly plan to make this a fun year at the track and pace myself. The interesting part will be whether just circulating with similar times is enough. I'm also going to follow up on the karting opportunities.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. The Karting thing has legs.

Yes its interesting the depreciation vs maintenance dilemma. I look at Ron & Patsy & the GTR. That car has done almost 60,000km since they bought it new in 2006. I think almost everyone of those KM has been at the track or a Targa (its done maybe 12 Targa Tours). Perhaps they paid 150K for it and today perhaps its worth 80K. Only in the last year has it started to cost real money with a gearbox issue (common theme around here?). Before that it was tyres, pads, fluids and service and it never once let them down. Very reliable, very quick, very safe. Granted they may not be as fast as some on here on Targa Tour or track but sometimes I look at there GTR and think it was a smart purchase. My 993 has covered far fewer "competition" Kms and it would cost me close to their depreciation over 8 years to keep maintained if I used it as they have. It wouldnt have gone down in value granted. For my lifestyle reliability and "ease" is a huge bonus Im prepared to pay some depreciation for as is convenience and warranty. With the GT3 the warranty is now 4 years. It applies to track use for the first time ever also. If you imported a lightly used (1 year old) example of the new Cayman R (if/when it surfaces) or a GT3 youd probably have a few years depreciation free use as well. It does beg the question...

I was thinking the new BMW M3 for Jo/me for 2015/16 (and another longer sunnier road trip to Europe this time!) but Im holding back. Firstly because of the GT3 debacle which I would like to be long behind me before I venture into buying another new car and also because Im waiting to see if Porsche will actually produce a Cayman R for this generation. If they do the word about the place is 355 bhp and bigger brakes with around 40kg weight savings. That would be enough for me as Id add a full aftermarket akropovic exhaust system for another 10-15bhp (I know how to get these much cheaper than the European retail price as I have a good contact), some further weight savings (12kg). I would upgrade the pads and tyres (R comp) and spec the sports seats and order a custom half cage. Id probably choose manual and sports chassis (probably the only option for the R) with PTV. That would be a 1290kg 370bhp car with 290lbft torque, mid engined with a sports chassis. My 22 year old 993 (although modified probably beyond 993RS spec) is 292bhp, 1300kg and 268lbft rear engine old world chassis with no electronic aids.

Im not trying to change anyones mind on old cars. I have one myself and I love it, In life I also dance to my own tune so my choices are often not conventional. I just think too many folk have a "Id never pay that for a new car" attitude but the more I look into it the more I realise if its fit for purpose and it works to make your lifestyle easier its worth every $$$ of the perceived delta between maintenance and depreciation especially if you are adventurous enough to do a good deal going in.

Heck if new Porsches were as cheap in NZ as they are in the USA I can guarantee half of you wouldnt be hanging around on the old car boards and would have been driving/enjoying a new GT3 on road and track 5 years ago!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.porsche.com/international...5jby5ueg%3d%3d

Can help but think this could be the ultimate Targa Tourist car. Look at it in blood red!

Just look at that stance in side profile!

Add akropovic exhaust for 15 bhp and weight savings and nice sound, change pads, put on Trofeo R compound, spec with sport bucket seats and add custom half cage (like Peter Merediths one) and well driven cant see a problem with keeping up with any of the heavy artillery on the tour.
Jeez - clearly we all got the same e-mail today. I'm in love with that car.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Jeez - clearly we all got the same e-mail today. I'm in love with that car.
Did I see somewhere they are releasing an RS?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?