Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, you guys are using "tow" incorrectly.

It has an established meaning in motorsport, which is to take advantage of the slipstream of the vehicle in front. Also known as drafting or slipstreaming.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:29 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Wondering if I'd get called on that. Snapped the photo before all was snugged down. Yes - 45 degrees up from the horizontal edge.
Ah! I did notice the hardware wasn't quite flush with the plate too, so that makes sense. I find the instructions a bit ambiguous as the horizontal changes a fair bit depending on how deep the chin protection is at the front. My GP6 chin protection is a lot shallower than the helmet in the documentation.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:44 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Ah! I did notice the hardware wasn't quite flush with the plate too, so that makes sense. I find the instructions a bit ambiguous as the horizontal changes a fair bit depending on how deep the chin protection is at the front. My GP6 chin protection is a lot shallower than the helmet in the documentation.
Ditto - if I use the full-on side profile like the illustrations state vs an angle measured from the curvature where the mount sits, I end up at 45-70 degrees.

45 might look like the straps aren't centered nicely when it's just sitting there, but I bet they're centered when your head tries to leave your body!

It's a pretty slick system - good head movement, while preventing both side and forward uncorking.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

It has an established meaning in motorsport, which is to take advantage of the slipstream of the vehicle in front. Also known as drafting or slipstreaming.
Yeah - I was trying to get that sort of tow too.

Thanks Matt - so what is the technical term for "If the guy in front can go that fast around a corner, so can I"..........other than 'stupid'
Old 05-25-2014, 11:55 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah - I was trying to get that sort of tow too.

Thanks Matt - so what is the technical term for "If the guy in front can go that fast around a corner, so can I"..........other than 'stupid'
Haha, not sure about that one, outsourced bravery? Great technique if they've got a good line and you haven't forgotten they're on stickier tyres!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Ferrari have moved out of their building due to it needed seismic strengthening work. They have now moved to a pretty nondescript place between Ellerslie and Penrose.

I am beginning to think a Cayman would be the perfect track car, sadly a bit out of my price range though.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used carbon Hans device for some years now but would be interested in what users think of Necksgen. Side support is an advantage but a proper race seat with lateral head support is far better anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

This explains why I was getting confused. As per my original question I was confused and thought the advantage possibly related to aero.

Paul the "behaviour formerly know as towing" is known as going 7/10ths - surely you know that!

In all seriousness however "towing" as John explains it is simply chasing the car in front as far as I gather trying to benefit from a better understanding of the lines and braking points that car is exhibiting. I still believe its primarily "chasing" and the reason folk are perceiving it as a potential panacea may be that they are posting faster times....because they are trying harder and benefiting front not pushing a wall of air?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
This explains why I was getting confused. As per my original question I was confused and thought the advantage possibly related to aero. Paul the "behaviour formerly know as towing" is known as going 7/10ths - surely you know that! In all seriousness however "towing" as John explains it is simply chasing the car in front as far as I gather trying to benefit from a better understanding of the lines and braking points that car is exhibiting. I still believe its primarily "chasing" and the reason folk are perceiving it as a potential panacea may be that they are posting faster times....because they are trying harder and benefiting front not pushing a wall of air?
Definitely not slipstreaming in my case. The benefit is a mixture of watching lines, braking points and relative distance from the car in front. However it is not a panacea. There is still conversation required to see how areas are approached e.g. I can keep up with most cars in turns 2 & 3 because I talked to Steve and then ran behind him to practice his line and method. Done with a slightly faster car in front it is great instant feedback. Certainly worked for me as people following noticed the increase in speed there. I did similar things for turns 1 and 10.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg

You're right Matt. Maybe we could just agree to call it bludging lines (hey - I do it too - no point re-inventing the wheel ). If pedantic, I think drafting or slipstreaming is what the close following car does with the one in front, whereas towing is what the car in front is doing to the one behind - usually used in the context of team mates doing it deliberately eg trying to help slingshot a team mate out onto a straight. It actually helps the speed of the front vehicle a bit too.

Regardless, when drafting it pays to remember that while it may pull you forwards by lowering drag, it also lowers downforce - sometimes with spectacular results:

(BIG Porsche GT1 flip)

Looks like a weak crest bounced the front a little and the lowered downforce did the rest. Not that we'd be flipping ours of course, but we might run wide in a corner.

Originally Posted by John McM
...The benefit is a mixture of watching lines, braking points and relative distance from the car in front.... Done with a slightly faster car in front it is great instant feedback. Certainly worked for me as people following noticed the increase in speed there.
Makes total sense and we'll all get faster quicker when learning from each other.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Definitely not slipstreaming in my case. The benefit is a mixture of watching lines, braking points and relative distance from the car in front. However it is not a panacea. There is still conversation required to see how areas are approached e.g. I can keep up with most cars in turns 2 & 3 because I talked to Steve and then ran behind him to practice his line and method. Done with a slightly faster car in front it is great instant feedback. Certainly worked for me as people following noticed the increase in speed there. I did similar things for turns 1 and 10.
John. It sounds like it works for you so stick with it. I definitely find discussing the track with others and what they are doing at certain points is beneficial.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:51 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Chris M, Prestigio have covered us in regularity trials ok in the past.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:13 AM
cbnz
Instructor

Luke944, PM sent
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...sepower-2.html

For the Cayman mod guys...
Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Michael, how's baba? We need progress photos mate.
No photos but he's doing pretty well. A little over 5 months old, still a big boy (around 98th percentile for weight and height) and strong. A good traveller so far, and a much better sleeper than my nephew (a bigger blessing than we realise I think). Generally pretty happy, had a rough week last week though with a cold, 5-month vaccinations and pushing his first tooth through all at once. Happily shared his cold with mum and dad so we've had our first full-family illness... joy. I spent half the weekend in bed and I'm still not over it, worst cold I can remember! They're brewing superbugs at daycare I reckon.

Anyway, enough about me. How are your girls?

Ring the Hamilton car club in your case. They can sort you out quickly.
Thanks, I've looked into this a bit more and it's seems easy enough to do locally. I plan to get this sorted soon regardless of what events I do/don't attend.

As for cars, not sure yet? I think Craig the owner of my old C3 is coming along. He's on road tyres and new to the track for the first time yesterday, so there should be an older 911 you can use as mobile cones........
You may get some 996's/993's with very green drivers that you can show up too.
Ha ha, I think you're giving me way too much credit there! Beat a C3 which is known to be good for sub-1.20? I wish

(PS Are you suggesting that I've got a better chance of beating a 993 than a 964? )

Michael, You should enter the entire series mate. I reckon you would have a super-strong chance of a class and overall series win.
Thanks but is this because I'd be the only one in my class? I don't want to be lonely at the back of the sprints grid, playing with myself.

Seriously though, I would like to have a decent crack at all the speed series events next year. Not because of points, but just because they're fun events.

This year I hope to do one of each event. I need to sort out some stuff with my car (including a new set of tyres and a Necksgen system) before it'll see the track again, and I don't have the time/$ to do it right now so I'm aiming for the August sprints day.

I appreciate the work you're putting into these events and I hope you get a good turnout.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?