Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me I think 2 more years in the 3.2 carrera, doing my targa apprenticeship, then something newer. It will be reborn as a hotrod ala the Bugatti designers backdate. Except not backdated.

I really like the sound of a Cayman GT4 if that came to be. That would be a very enjoyable car.
For Targa I'd think about a 2.9l cayman race car to compete in the 3L class.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

that Bugatti mans car is super special and carbon body, a real one off and super light - under 900 kg I thought.

Cayman front 3/4 view looks quite menacing definitely has appeal .....
For those on the Tour what was the feedback on the CLA 45 AMG? Certainly written up well in the Herald on Wednesday
Old 05-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're naming it a 'GT4' at the mo - looks like it will be a blast whatever it is.

Attachment 836807

Attachment 836808

Attachment 836809

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/13/p...gt4-spy-shots/

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sean. I think you are referring to the recent online rumour saying they were talking of dropping a GT3 into the Cayman with the spurious statement "sources close to Andreas P say that he likes the mid engined platform"! Yeah, who would disagree! I personally think the whole 100 word autoblog that started the rumour is BS. PAG will go 4 pot turbo in the next generation of Boxster/Cayman for sure. This generation will be the last with NA engine IMO.

I believe they will bring a Cayman R to market mid 2015. Now thats a car I will definitely be wanting to own!

Heres an update from today. Dean report the machine shop believe they have managed to get all the synchro deposit off of the 3+4th gear. Dean hasnt inspected their work yet but if he is happy they have then that's around 5K of avoided expense! We will know Monday for sure.

Big Brake upgrade is now fitted. The rear 993RS caliper have a swept pad area the same size as the previous fronts. The Fronts are 993TT and around 30% bigger swept pad area than the original fronts. The 993RS rears are the same size as 993TT rears but have a larger piston set moving brake bias more towards the rear and removing the need for a proportioning valve. Optimum brake bias is typically adjusted with this set up by playing with front and rear pad compounds. As you can see I have started with MX72 all round in the small to make it more bearable on the road. When the front pads need replacing may look to use the next step up (22s). New wires, sqweal stars etc fitted at the same time. Front disc size is approx 20mm larger than before and rears about 24mm. The much larger pad area and the slightly larger disc area (and thickness) should according to those that use them on the track aid in longevity (last approximately 60% longer than the stock set up) as they have better heat management. The MX72 pads I think will aid in faster retardation of the car. The fluid is SFR.

The rear suspension of the 993 has three kinematic arms, two upper and one lower. The lower one is used to adjust kinematic toe. We replaced the lower one after NITT when some play had started with the factory unit. The Rennline unit is much more secure and virtually never needs re setting unlike the factory system. Also the heim ball joints are more precise than the horrid factory joints which were obviously built down to a cost. Ive chose now to upgrade the upper arms and add kinematic locking plates. These wear dust boots like the lower unit fitted last year in order to make them more prone to water and dirt egress. They were a mare to fit as they come totally dissembled and took a few hours to put together before even installing! They are more a "tasty extra" that I planned as the final component of the full rear suspension overall - and BEFORE I headed to SI and realised Id need a gearbox overhaul!!!!!

Wheel bearings have been replaced with new and two new drive shafts will be fitted up when the gearbox is back in place.

Now onto the next major job - the Air Con evaporator replacement. We are using a more robust and improved design Kuel unit which cools the air 15% better than the factory unit and should last even longer than the 21 years I got from the first one.

Next week will be time to drop the engine and look at this. Bit scary. The tunes never been perfect and Ive been ragging it to red line repeatedly on the track with as little sympathy as the gearbox! Sounds bloody marvellous at 7000 rpm tho. Will have timing adjusted (using older 964 solid lifters on this engine) and new plugs, fluids etc. Hopefully they dont find anything untoward here!

Paul. Your brake calipers will be ready to be picked up next week - Ill email you when. Ive asked them to clean them and touch them up (have supplied correct paint) before you take them.
Attached Images      
Old 05-23-2014, 12:32 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Now that's a weapon. Like the faux centre-lock rims on it too.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:36 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Heres an update from today...
Very nice kit mate. Looking at that rear suspension set up you can see why they handle better than the older cars.

You won't be disappointed with the Endless pads. Will be interested to see how that compound goes for you.

Why are you dropping the motor too? Have you got poor leak-down or compression?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

IMHO Cayman GT4 = Cayman R (i.e. what you see testing is a Cayman R with a camo kit to misled )

Mark. I think you are spot on with that build. Running 1150kg with a 2.95L making 350 bhp, exe tc suspension and some 380mm front rotors would be a sublime sun 3.0L class weapon.

Graeme I bought the exe-tc camber guage. Had to check that wit would fit 20" wheels (for the GT3). Looks lovely. Will use it to check cambers post track work and prior having Pete adjust. Handy tool on the fly.

John & others. I looked at my invoice for the Sony A100V and it was only $268 USD (paid $32 to ship direct to NZ and no GST as its under the limit). I think thats pretty good value compared to Hero 3 (I paid 299 for black in USA a few years back but I think they are more in NZ). As you know Im not so happy with the GoPro build quality since the charging jack on mine decided to enter the units body (I now have to charge via identical jack on back of extended battery). Will be interesting to see how it compares.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
You won't be disappointed with the Endless pads. Will be interested to see how that compound goes for you.

Why are you dropping the motor too? Have you got poor leak-down or compression?
Me too. Pete have the MX72 and found them pretty good on the road. I think they wore fairly quickly for him but my brake ventilation seems to work really well so hoping they large longer for me especially now with larger pad and disc for thermal loads.

Believe it or not its 3 years and 16,000 km since I did the cams. Most of those Kms have been Traga Tour, track or fast touring open road and Rons weekend runs. The Timing should be done at 20k km by the book and the plugs although they are probably good for another 20k km are hard to get to with engine in place. As the gearbox is out and we are waiting 2-3 weeks for parts I thought it would be a good time to get the timing done, overall health check and replace the plugs. I need to make the car as bullet proof as I can for 2015/16 as wont have budget to deal with these things then. So timing/big service is coming a bit early but with NITT coming up probably bext to get it done now then go through all of this now than later. As weve discussed offline Ive never been 100% with the G4 mapping for this engine. I believe the left to right timing is out and its running leaner on one bank than the other. Ive given up trying to address it with folk who dont know flat 6 and accepted it may go bang anytiume (thus will be shipped to states for exotic rebuild). In the meantime I spend some time in CHCH this year with Wayne & Glyn form Authority and they have the Link HO up the road and reckon LINK can get it right on their own dyno. If I head to SI for Targa I will leave car in CHCH to have tuned properly after and maybe have it freighted up if theres a reliable croud who can be trusted to do that (after Jon/Chris experience)....
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That Cayman looks like it should have at least 400hp. good thing is a 4 pot turbo means plenty of tuning capacity for aftermarket guys

Macca you got the most modified road 993 in the southern hemisphere probably - just engine to go. Then its a life long investment??
Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes 400 bhp would make it Killer!

For the 993 the longer I live the more I amortise the "investment" lol! The engine/exhaust will be the jewel in the crown that brings it all together. All in good time I guess....
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
That Cayman looks like it should have at least 400hp. good thing is a 4 pot turbo means plenty of tuning capacity for aftermarket guys
Very true and a nice looking car. Or if the budget doesn't quite stretch that far, here's something at least as quick, albeit a bit of a sledgehammer in comparison:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-732669504.htm

Dave Taylor prepped and fast at Hampton. Shouldn't think about it but a fully caged manual car with track suspension, extra aero and similar power is tempting. Maybe someone else wants to buy it and just lend it to me for a Targa or two? Heh heh...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
^^^^Some good advice for life there too, Macca. Just signed up for the 15th - sprints only as trying to do the Reg trials alongside made things too frenetic for me off track, and not quite frenetic enough on (as the guy with the black flag can attest).

Yikes, has Paul been assessed? To be fair but, while it usually feels like he's trying to kill you on track, he is good enough to pass up the opportunity when it is presented for real...

Jake - if you're looking to put a toe in the Hampton water then these Reg trials (or Sprints - with a competition licence if you feel you've done enough DE/track time) are a great opportunity.
Fair to say I am an opportunist......(how do you think I have driven half the of the RSG cars.............)
Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, I already have 10 applications in 24hrs. You need to get your A's into G if you don't want to miss out on the sprints.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Very true and a nice looking car. Or if the budget doesn't quite stretch that far, here's something at least as quick, albeit a bit of a sledgehammer in comparison:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-732669504.htm

Dave Taylor prepped and fast at Hampton. Shouldn't think about it but a fully caged manual car with track suspension, extra aero and similar power is tempting. Maybe someone else wants to buy it and just lend it to me for a Targa or two? Heh heh...
Is that Tony Quinn's old targa car?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt. Interesting car. Mack Storey built something similar. Im very impressed with that 1.10 HD time too, goes to show with 520bhp, a bit of ballast removal and some decent suspension there is still alot of time to be found in a 996TT. Not sure Chris B could use it for going to work tho LOL!

P.S. I reckon it would be a money pit however! Its getting old like all our cars and being pushed beyond its original design envelope so needs a decent $$$ budget to run.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?