Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014 | 08:57 PM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by John McM
Point taken Macca. I suspect we're all learning the hard way that hard running on the track is expensive and likely points towards running dedicated race cars as a better long term option. Not sure I have the financial stomach for that otherwise I'll never be able to downshift or retire.
A dedicated track/race car is an option, however it won't reduce costs, the costs can be planned a bit better as you know the hours/days and can plan a bit better.

I'm up for syncros, maybe a shifter sleeve sleeve, at least a set of gears for 3rd, maybe 4th if i want to re-gear.

I've already had a lot of the 915 gearbox strengthening/ damage prevention items installed, input shaft is locked to output shaft, steel machined bearing race, transmission cooler, and spray kit, wevo gate, to help reduce 5th-2nd shifts.
the G50 is certainly a stronger box. given i'm running standard power a 915s life between services is largely up to me! and how i use it.
Old 05-21-2014 | 09:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Point taken Macca. I suspect we're all learning the hard way that hard running on the track is expensive and likely points towards running dedicated race cars as a better long term option. Not sure I have the financial stomach for that otherwise I'll never be able to downshift or retire.
John. I think that after a couple of years of doing this the reality sets in that unless you are running a brand new car or are just lucky that there are some costs which will eventually catch up with each and every one of us. Paul said on this thread before any of us really started going to the track in early 2013 that it was a XXXX dollars a year hobby for owners of older cars. I cant recall the figure, most of us baulked or didn't really believe that (me included). He had been through the gearbox rebuild, the suspension overall and soon after he said it he had an engine rebuild to contend to. I think he was right. However as you say its a function of how sympathetic you are on the gear and how hard you push it on the track (and how regularly too). Its not that you will avoid these jobs as they are inevitable with high temps and wear but you may prolong them.

Like you I dont really have the stomach for these costs, sometimes unexpected beyond this year. Engine aside (unknown durability with current tune and time spent at high rpm on dyno and track) I HAVE to make the 993 reliable for at least two years before the NITT. I know Im not the kinda guy who will "take it easy" when I get out there - I dont get out there enough for that luxury and Im very focussed on improving my track driving. Im also new to the tracks having never been to the same one twice so Im still learning them and getting quicker. So I have elected to build the car stronger than it probably need be to take the abuse. Good point in case the brakes. Never faded or been a problem on factory street pads but I realised after the NITT Im probably leaning on the gearbox/engine too much and need to use the brakes more. Ive upgrades those and the pads to ensure they can take increased abuse and the service cycles are longer (40% larger swept pad area with much larger caliper and 10% larger discs plus Endless pads to boot).

My "automotive" budget has been agreed and set with the Financial Controller for 2015 & 2016 and its very thin. Enough to get me a set of track tyres, entry to NITT and May Targa Tour plus a couple of HD playdays events and that pretty much it outside services and fluid changes. 2013/14 have been very expensive on the 993 hobby side so this is the lash push for me to get the car totally set up sorted and reliable before spending more of our resources and time to travelling in 2015/16.

And Graeme is right John. Sure you can pick up a 944 track car for 40K and run it hard on the track but they sill still need an engine rebuilt and gearbox rebuilds every few years. talking to Steve is was most obvious that deciated track cars get run real hard too and suffer similar malades. The issue is its Porsche and its a 22 year old platform so its expensive compared to running a brand new GT86 which might cost you 60K for the TRD version set up ready to roll but ownership costs over say 2-3 years will be very low with the Toyota. That was my original theory on the GT3. The 993 will have to be retired at some time - the parts are getting VERY expensive now and escalating quickly. the LSD I paid 1850 USD for in April 2011 is now 2250 (Paul has just priced it). Some stuff like interior trim has doubled or tripled. The Big Brake upgrade (993TT+993RS rear) has gone up 35% in 6 years, gearbox components are 2x what they were in 2006 and drive shafts 50% more etc. These are COLLECTORS cars now not hard working hacks LOL!
Old 05-21-2014 | 09:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
A dedicated track/race car is an option, however it won't reduce costs, the costs can be planned a bit better as you know the hours/days and can plan a bit better.

I'm up for syncros, maybe a shifter sleeve sleeve, at least a set of gears for 3rd, maybe 4th if i want to re-gear.

I've already had a lot of the 915 gearbox strengthening/ damage prevention items installed, input shaft is locked to output shaft, steel machined bearing race, transmission cooler, and spray kit, wevo gate, to help reduce 5th-2nd shifts.
the G50 is certainly a stronger box. given i'm running standard power a 915s life between services is largely up to me! and how i use it.
Mark. The nice thing about the g15 is it was long used, Porsche designed/largely built so the costs of the gears, sleeves, synchros etc is approximately half that of the G50. Availability of parts is good too. Labour cost however remains static...
Old 05-21-2014 | 09:56 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

These are COLLECTORS cars now not hard working hacks LOL!....
Wow Macca so that means we go full circle and end up back at the beginning "even tho NOT an RS." I can agree with the sentiment and cast my vote a while ago when putting a Targa car together
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:20 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911

Remove the wevo - they munch gearboxes.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 05-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
These are COLLECTORS cars now not hard working hacks LOL!....
Wow Macca so that means we go full circle and end up back at the beginning "even tho NOT an RS." I can agree with the sentiment and cast my vote a while ago when putting a Targa car together
Graeme. Yes. Think about it - its exactly what has happened to cars like your replica. Its catching on now with 964 & 993. If the bubble doesn't burst within the next two years it will render any well kept, moderate mileage manual 964/993 as a "collectors car". So as you say its full circle. When new they were too valuable for many to contemplate throwing them around a track or tarmac stage and when they are old they are the same.

see Total 911 Blog today. This article which talks of the mind low km providence 964RS sold for $450K NZD recently highlights the issue.

http://www.total911.com/opinion-the-...2%20May%202014

Its the same dilemma Sean has faced choosing a Targa car. Its just not the cost its the hassle and speed. You crack a window badly on Mondays afternoon pre lunch stage and by the next morning you have a new subie windowscreen installed and set. You crack a window on a 964 and.....good luck finding one in country, fitting it is a bear and as a structural component may need a day or longer to cure....
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:26 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I've just been looking at getting a Necksgen and have been told that if I can get at least 3 people together to buy them we can get them for $799 (including gst) each. This is here in Auckland so you can go in and try them on to ensure they fit properly etc. and they have all sizes in stock.

Let me know if you are interested. I will be buying one before the enduro in a few weeks.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I've just been looking at getting a Necksgen and have been told that if I can get at least 3 people together to buy them we can get them for $799 (including gst) each. This is here in Auckland so you can go in and try them on to ensure they fit properly etc. and they have all sizes in stock. Let me know if you are interested. I will be buying one before the enduro in a few weeks.
I'm absolutely in. Be prepared to kick me in the butt if I don't get this protection.

While I'm hyped up on safety. Sam, if you haven't paid for that old helmet, then let's cancel the sale. If you have paid for it then I'm happy to buy it back and put a hammer to it. Your head deserves far better protection and it's been playing on my mind.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I've just been looking at getting a Necksgen and have been told that if I can get at least 3 people together to buy them we can get them for $799 (including gst) each. This is here in Auckland so you can go in and try them on to ensure they fit properly etc. and they have all sizes in stock.

Let me know if you are interested. I will be buying one before the enduro in a few weeks.
Chris Im in. Tell them Ill pay them but wont beable to come in and choose the size until early July.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. Im a Large. Its pretty easy really....
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014 | 11:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris. Im a Large. Its pretty easy really....
Large as well.
Old 05-21-2014 | 11:08 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca, further to your email above - IMHO it's $20-30K P/A to run an old 911. This is all up including entry fee's and consumables......

Lucky you guys all earn the BIG bucks.
Old 05-22-2014 | 12:10 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca, further to your email above - IMHO it's $20-30K P/A to run an old 911. This is all up including entry fee's and consumables......

I'd agree with the high end of that for sure, and I don't use my cars as much as you guys.
Old 05-22-2014 | 12:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

LOL! I can 100% guarantee my income is way less than yours mate. Only difference is I don't do much....
Old 05-22-2014 | 03:40 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I have 2x FIA rated Hans club devices sitting in NZ if anyone needs to borrow one and doesn't want to fork out the cash.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?