Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Graeme. Unfortunately no chance of getting a new car delivered RHD to the states so I am told. The cars are cheap there aye!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

certainly makes you think....
Old 05-25-2014, 07:42 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

check out the season costs for cayman racing with BGB on the web site. wow...
Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Chris, nice idea. From the research I did on my 07 Boxster, if your 997 has the M97 engine, ie prior to the move to the DFI engine, you need to budget for preventing the oil starvation problem with track tyres on the track, esp the HD sweeper. Either deep sump or an accu-sump. Steve went with the deep sump which is the simplest and cheapest option from what I learned.
Originally Posted by John McM
Chris, if you are a PCNZ member, why not enter in the Regularity trial? There is no better way to get confidence back at HD and be sympathetic to your car than circulating all day with a 1:28 minimum. What's not often realised with Regularity trials is that you choose how to drive. Many of the Classic Trials guys keep to the bar by cruising up the main straight but still attack the corners. It's also grid start and closer car driving. Has to be a good re-launch point.
Originally Posted by Macca
Chris just check if you can be insured during regularity trials.
Thanks guys - all good points.

The deep sump might be a bit concerning for clearance based on places I drive regularly (I do try to stay OUT of the paddocks), so maybe accu. Will see what Steve has crafted in way of a shield for his.

I'm a PCNZ member, but do far woefully inactive. Regularity would be cool if coverage is available.

Originally Posted by Maxem
After; Scotchbrite pad finish
Looks very nice - better than many nip tucks I've seen.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Regularity would be cool if coverage is available.
I run with no coverage on the track, Prestigio didn't get back to me so I renewed with Classic. There has been one accident in Classic Trials, but generally it is very safe as you set your own pace. I would say that the 15th is a better intro than a Playday as that will inevitably have cars doing warp speed whereas a 1:28 time bar precludes that in Regularity.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I run with no coverage on the track, Prestigio didn't get back to me so I renewed with Classic. There has been one accident in Classic Trials, but generally it is very safe as you set your own pace. I would say that the 15th is a better intro than a Playday as that will inevitably have cars doing warp speed whereas a 1:28 time bar precludes that in Regularity.
^^^^^^ Wise words - what he said.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graeme. Those "Arrive & Drive" race season costs look insane. The hourly rate is on par with NZ (more or less). Goes to show what's involved if you are absolutely serious about your Motorsport in the USA. I couldnt see how many race days were included in that price but my experience in the USA is that they take the sport serious and would race both days of the weekend for 10-12 weeks solid so could be as many as 24 race days.

Thats one thing Ive noticed about the track day thing in the states. The guys who are really into it will do 30-60 days a year! A mate of mine on the boards Pete (who incidentally is travelling through NZ in Dec and will be having Xmas in Akland) is a serial GT3 owner. He has owned 997 GT3 + 997.2 GT3RS + 4.0RS back to back over the last 7 years. He buys them new - immediately strengthens them for track day use and runs them hard for a few years then sells them. He might do 150 track days before they are sold. His costs are tyres and consumables but to date they have all taken the abuse. He reckons they are the only car you can buy off the shelf, spend maybe 15-20K USD getting them set up right and addressing known weak spots then run hard for 3 years without any major mechanical costs and sell for only modest depreciation. Its a smart formula. Remember in the states a new 997 GT3RS was only about 150K USD. I can only imagine the cost of running the 993 for 150 track sessions - would easily cover the cost of a new GT3 in the US!

Ive found it really interesting talking to track junkies in USA and Europe and understanding how they approach the sport. In Europe they are very laid back. They drive long distances to the track - run hard for a weekend and then drive home - much like our NITT. They dont go as often as the US guys and there arent as many choice in nearby tracks. You can see the GT3/RS formula was developed for them in mind.

Early experiences from those with the new 991 GT3 engine are favourable. Id imagine Porsche have now built the most scrutinised, tested and screwed down engine of recent times as they cannot afford to make the same mistake twice! The engine comes with around 40 associated additional parts (mainly fixtures and fittings) including software updates for engine ECU, PDK, RWS and steering servo. There are also some cooling improvement s but I dont know what these are. The unaminous feedback is that the steering and handling at speed have definitely improved (much sharper and more precise due to RWS and steering servo software tweaks). The valve on sports exhaust now opens around 800 rpm lower than before giving the louder sound earlier and it would appear a bit more torque earlier. A few owners have already ventured onto the track and report no issues. Of course all of these cars were early cars (Europe & UK) so already most owners had 1000s of road and track km on their engines without incident so really very little change for them. I guess time will tell. My engine gets produced this week and airfreighted to NZ next week. It will be fitted and tested and ready hopefully within next 3-4 weeks. It needs 1000km break in (7000 rpm max etc) so will be looking to break it in in July before taking it to the track in September....
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Two months ago we were driving these roads. C4 country now.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 07:54 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lock in Saturday 10am for License testing (all grades). Email to come out shortly.

Cheers
PM
Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Two months ago we were driving these roads. C4 country now.
My driveway (somewhere) this morning in QT...
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^^^ Wise words - what he said.
I put a query into Classic this morning. Would be keen on the 15th, just a matter of getting the car ready by then.

Necksgen is set to go. Swapping out the HANS mounts for Necksgen was easy - same bolt threads & mount location allowed me to reuse the inner helmet backing plate.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I put a query into Classic this morning. Would be keen on the 15th, just a matter of getting the car ready by then. Necksgen is set to go. Swapping out the HANS mounts for Necksgen was easy - same bolt threads & mount location allowed me to reuse the inner helmet backing plate.
Great so next is the harness bar?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Great so next is the harness bar?
Yes -- either something like a BK harness bar or a half cage. Research phase commencing!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:51 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a query into Classic this morning. Would be keen on the 15th, just a matter of getting the car ready by then.

Necksgen is set to go. Swapping out the HANS mounts for Necksgen was easy - same bolt threads & mount location allowed me to reuse the inner helmet backing plate.
The installation angle of the clips looks quite steep compared to the diagrams on the website:

https://www.impactraceproducts.com/v...V-Features.jpg
https://www.impactraceproducts.com/v...G_features.jpg

However, IIRC, the documentation suggests a 45° angle?
Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by mjg
The installation angle of the clips looks quite steep compared to the diagrams on the website: https://www.impactraceproducts.com/v...V-Features.jpg https://www.impactraceproducts.com/v...G_features.jpg However, IIRC, the documentation suggests a 45° angle?
Wondering if I'd get called on that. Snapped the photo before all was snugged down. Yes - 45 degrees up from the horizontal edge.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?