Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Paul, just out of curiosity: a) when and where will the Motorsport License test be? and b) is there anyone registered for the sprints in something I'd have a chance of keeping up with?
Hey Michael, how's baba? We need progress photos mate.

Ring the Hamilton car club in your case. They can sort you out quickly.

As for cars, not sure yet? I think Craig the owner of my old C3 is coming along. He's on road tyres and new to the track for the first time yesterday, so there should be an older 911 you can use as mobile cones........
You may get some 996's/993's with very green drivers that you can show up too.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

repeat post.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
We are confirmed so far as I am aware but am double checking as can never be too careful!

Taupo is showing our booking for 12 Sept (Fri). Manfield is not on their calendar but Tony gave me that date several times and we are locked for a Group.

There is also a Taupo test day on the 10th (Wed) so while that doesn't lock with our drive down on the 11th you could make use of it - pretty cheap extra track day.

I'll get the e-mail out to RSG members soon but informally there looks to be a preference for the same format as last year. Those I have spoken to weren't too keen on making Taupo a base and getting down and back to Manfield in a day. That's detail though and can be sorted closer to the time.

The other bit of feedback was that while Hilton was excellent it was pretty pricey for many - the 3 brm Hilton units do work well for 3 couples though. I will survey people when I send the expressions of interest e-mail.

To make Taupo work well we will need at least 24 cars (30 max) - pretty sure we will be able to do this.

Manfield is the tougher one as we have one group of 15 though there is the option of running in general group also. We can probably accommodate up to 17-18 if everyone stands down for a session.

Will also survey to see if interest in driver training (Ray) on the tour - very cool to have him last time but as we found out last time he gets spread very thinly.

So book your flights - we're on!
Pete - we may be able to advertise the Taupo day to PCNZ members if we need to for numbers?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Sprints is a combo of Trials and Play Day: * Standing start - released in 3-5 sec intervals as a pair * You are paired with a similar powered car * 3-5 laps * fastest to slowest, so you shouldn't be overtaking or overtaken other than your pair * No speed bar, so 7/10th's or 10/10's - you decide. * John if you don't want to race your pair - just let them go first off the line and follow around at a pace you are happy with?? IMHO - it's the next step up from Play Days due to standing starts and closer action with paired car. Could be good spectator sport watching Matt/Nigel off the line and Lola/Herman .
So how is the winner of the event judged? Overall time? Win against pairing?

My experience with the Trials is that starting is very subjective on a staggered start with a flag drop, but it doesn't matter there as the first lap is not timed. I'm not looking to ***** foot it with the Sprints, in fact if fine I'm going sub 20 and see if I can take out 19.5, but equally I'm not looking to rub doors.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:48 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete - we may be able to advertise the Taupo day to PCNZ members if we need to for numbers?
Yep - good idea once we have expressions of interest from our members (and friends). I think Tony would be happy to know his Prestige group at Taupo could also be filled up as he is nervous about the risk being a weekday.

btw - you were in your element yesterday. Making a run for the presidency...?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
My recollection from last year was "he with the fastest car". Dave M rolled out the gt3 and it was all over.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Macca you ***** - lets see if these new go faster bits keep you ahead. I might have to start jogging up Mt Eden Hill, stop sponsoring Pete's Pies at lunch tiime, and remove the passengers seat, carpets and other misc. to close down the 70 kg gap. I'd buy a set of 214's, but don't want you crying over a supposed tyre advantage like Taupo. (so ya coming yet )
Ill bite. Actually Im not sure of the question. Am I coming where?

You need to change out "go faster bits" for "go slower bits" LOL.

Only "performance" modification Im making to my car this time is better braking (Pads) with less thermal load (wasn't an issue before so now = durability) . I think you've been running similar pads since the beginning. Other than that Im getting the full use of my gears back first time in 3 years ,so yes do expect me to be quicker than before. Acutually not hard when the last time I circulated HD was almost 18 months ago as a virgin track bunny at around 1.21-1.22 (hard to tell exactly with gopro :-)).
Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. You dont have to bother training. Im getting fatter as we speak....!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

We are confirmed so far as I am aware but am double checking as can never be too careful!

Taupo is showing our booking for 12 Sept (Fri). Manfield is not on their calendar but Tony gave me that date several times and we are locked for a Group.

There is also a Taupo test day on the 10th (Wed) so while that doesn't lock with our drive down on the 11th you could make use of it - pretty cheap extra track day.

I'll get the e-mail out to RSG members soon but informally there looks to be a preference for the same format as last year. Those I have spoken to weren't too keen on making Taupo a base and getting down and back to Manfield in a day. That's detail though and can be sorted closer to the time.

The other bit of feedback was that while Hilton was excellent it was pretty pricey for many - the 3 brm Hilton units do work well for 3 couples though. I will survey people when I send the expressions of interest e-mail.

To make Taupo work well we will need at least 24 cars (30 max) - pretty sure we will be able to do this.

Manfield is the tougher one as we have one group of 15 though there is the option of running in general group also. We can probably accommodate up to 17-18 if everyone stands down for a session.

Will also survey to see if interest in driver training (Ray) on the tour - very cool to have him last time but as we found out last time he gets spread very thinly.

So book your flights - we're on!
Pete,

Excellent and comprehensive email. Thanks kindly.

In terms of planning and preferences that all looks good to me. We will likely miss the test day on 10th as we will be bringing both cars to Taupo. I will register the 993 in the RSG group and the 991 GT3 in the Prestige Group if that's ok. I think with doing twice the normal number of sessions in one day will be plenty enough practice for me!

For Manfield I will take only one car (almost certainly 993).

I terms of overnighters I think its very sensible after our experiences with SITT to stay the night after Manfield in Fielding like we did last time and drive back the next day to Taupo.

Ive spoken with Jo and well come down with the group on 11th. I sold her on the fact there would be other girls there and we would be staying at Hilton (like last time) so no going back on that Im afraid. She will stay there while we are in Manfield and hopefully have some of the other girls to hang with. I appreciate the Hilton is a bit more expensive than other places but its not really much more (I think we got a special deal at $200 pn). We paid $150 a night in a motel there on the way back from SITT. If Dave can help us with a 2-3 apartments via his contact it seems very reasonable to me - but like last time others may wish to stay at Wairaki Resort or elsewhere so really I don't see any major issues - we can all meet in town for dinner etc.

With regards to Ray that worked very well last time but I appreciate its added cost and logistics. Im happy either way.

With regards to entry I think we will easily achieve 15 at Manfield. No need to go elsewhere for that event. I know Graeme, Jamie and a few of the WTGN crew will be very keen to ride with us this time.

Taupo I feel comfortable we can make the 24. Infact I think we could probably get three sessions in 20 mins each per hour and run two prestige groups looking at the turn out last time. Im in for two slots and Im sure we will get Patsy/Ron and their group (Mitchels, Hawkridges, Snow, Scholes etc) on board easy enough.

I hope for Taupo we can also get Matt Harrisson down with one of his exotics (CGT/F40 or P1) and Nik (RSZwei) along with a few of their friends from Hawkes Bay.

If we really wanted to make it fun I have some contacts in Ferrari Club I could look up and we could give them a dedicated session. I think we could rustle up 10 of them on a Friday (they would otherwise be playing gold LOL). That could be excellent fun to maybe give RSG a bit of spread for these types of events and also fast driving weekends. Its great being surrounded by Pork but the odd 458 Speciale or Scuderia would be great in the mix, they are quite amazing machines...

Will book our flights now arriving Sat 8th. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:23 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

My experience with the Trials is that starting is very subjective on a staggered start with a flag drop, but it doesn't matter there as the first lap is not timed. I'm not looking to ***** foot it with the Sprints, in fact if fine I'm going sub 20 and see if I can take out 19.5, but equally I'm not looking to rub doors.
Fastest lap time in your class. So you are "air-cooled" class, and will be competing against all air-cooled cars for points.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'm not looking to ***** foot it with the Sprints, in fact if fine I'm going sub 20 and see if I can take out 19.5
That's the spirit John - I look forward to seeing a "Red Mist" Herman, half stripped out.......
Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yep - good idea once we have expressions of interest from our members (and friends). I think Tony would be happy to know his Prestige group at Taupo could also be filled up as he is nervous about the risk being a weekday.

btw - you were in your element yesterday. Making a run for the presidency...?
Ha Ha - Don't think so. You need to be a member for 20 years to know everyone and all facets of the club

We need to take this conversation off line - you were too good at your job yesterday and I need to recruit you for the committee
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

My recollection from last year was "he with the fastest car". Dave M rolled out the gt3 and it was all over.
See note above - Dave would only win his class:

I have cut and pasted the class structure below:

Class Structure

All road-going and road registered Porsches are eligible to take part in the PCNZ Speed Series. Every Porsche will be assigned and be eligible to score points in one of five Classes as outlined below. However, competition prepared, or modified cars that exhibit performance significantly superior to other Porsches in their Class are not eligible to score points, or may be reallocated to another class containing Porsches with similar performance. The PCNZ organising subcommittee will determine which cars, if any, fall into this category.

The five classes are as follows:

•Class A – all 4 cylinder front engined Porsches

•Class B – all mid-engined Porsches

•Class C – all air cooled Porsche 911s

•Class D – all normally aspirated Porsche 996s and 997s, plus all 928s

•Class E – all turbo charged 911s, all 991s and all GT3s and GT2s

The organising subcommittee reserves the right to amend the Class structure to ensure that members have the opportunity to be competitive with fellow Club Members.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Ill bite. Actually Im not sure of the question. Am I coming where?
Referring to the sprint days on 15 June and 03 Aug.

You guys should come over for a couple of days. After all you need to bed the pads in etc.

Cheers
PM
Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Referring to the sprint days on 15 June and 03 Aug.

You guys should come over for a couple of days. After all you need to bed the pads in etc.

Cheers
PM
Plans already under-way mate. Unfortunately they dont work in with those dates. Currently looking a 7 days in mid July. I have 1000km run in to do on the GT3 (car should be ready late June) and also full shake down in the 993. So I think it may be a busy week!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?