Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:36 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Jake - if you're looking to put a toe in the Hampton water then these Reg trials (or Sprints - with a competition licence if you feel you've done enough DE/track time) are a great opportunity.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm yet to get any time on the track and want to get a driver training day under my belt before pushing further, for insurance purposes if nothing else. Had planned on the PCNZ event tomorrow but a short notice visit from family has eliminated that as a possibility. Have got a set of springs and new TPMS on the way, so will get those installed along with an alignment before I get a lesson on how to drive properly

Anyone taken a look at the Porsche GTS Routes (advertising) app? Great idea, but part of me doesn't want to expose all the great B roads any more than necessary.

Interesting reading about the upkeep costs of the older cars. I spent a bit of time trying to decide between an 81-3 SC or 964 (with significant $$ spent on bringing it up to an acceptable standard to drive daily) or a 996 (with $$ spent to a lesser degree) but thanks to the opportunity in the form of a $1 reserve auction by a rather strange dealer ended up in the 997. I've bought in to it at the beginning of the bigger maintenance spend but with the $$ saved on initial outlay I can absorb it for a few years at least. Sill want for an older car at times, but happy with the turbo for the moment. Just need to firm the suspension a little and reduce the porpoising on uneven surfaces. And new wheels. And a free flowing exhaust. And new...

Last edited by nzskater; 05-23-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm yet to get any time on the track and want to get a driver training day under my belt before pushing further, for insurance purposes if nothing else. Had planned on the PCNZ event tomorrow but a short notice visit from family has eliminated that as a possibility. Have got a set of springs and new TPMS on the way, so will get those installed along with an alignment before I get a lesson on how to drive properly
Or sign up for the Reg Trials, the speed bar is 1.28, so you can focus on lines and feeling comfortable, without the pressure of going as fast as the next guy.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Is that Tony Quinn's old targa car?
Looks like Greg Russells car. Ran in Targa and Porsche race series, last out about 3 years ago.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:25 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Walt. Interesting car. Mack Storey built something similar. Im very impressed with that 1.10 HD time too, goes to show with 520bhp, a bit of ballast removal and some decent suspension there is still alot of time to be found in a 996TT. Not sure Chris B could use it for going to work tho LOL!

P.S. I reckon it would be a money pit however! Its getting old like all our cars and being pushed beyond its original design envelope so needs a decent $$$ budget to run.
Mack recently traded his in at CCS, traded on a GT3. I think they disconnect thee front drive shaft and run these as 2 wheel drive. Fast in a straight line, but hard to go past a GT3 which in my opinion is a better fit for this use.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Walt. Interesting car. Mack Storey built something similar. Im very impressed with that 1.10 HD time too, goes to show with 520bhp, a bit of ballast removal and some decent suspension there is still a lot of time to be found in a 996TT. Not sure Chris B could use it for going to work tho LOL!
Yep, believe this one is a sister (or at least half sister) of the ones Dave worked on for Mack, and for Ross Johnson. Think its road registered (or registerable) but suspension and exhaust not that road friendly.

P.S. I reckon it would be a money pit however! Its getting old like all our cars and being pushed beyond its original design envelope so needs a decent $$$ budget to run.
GT1 block Mezger engine forgives many sins. I suppose the drive shafts, tranny and mounts might be the most likely to need attention at some stage. Assuming it is otherwise good to go of course.

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Looks like Greg Russells car. Ran in Targa and Porsche race series, last out about 3 years ago.
Well picked.

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-23-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mack recently traded his in at CCS, traded on a GT3. I think they disconnect thee front drive shaft and run these as 2 wheel drive. Fast in a straight line, but hard to go past a GT3 which in my opinion is a better fit for this use.
Yip. Pretty sure Macks old silver one sitting next to my GT3 downstairs in the underground carpark at CCS. It's effectively a 996 GT2RS...
Old 05-23-2014, 06:47 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Guys, I already have 10 applications in 24hrs. You need to get your A's into G if you don't want to miss out on the sprints.
Just registered for both in Lola. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default Anyone with spare race seat/harness bar/roll bar/roof rack?

Anyone have a spare race seat or two here in NZ?

I have a Schroth harness and a post capable helmet so have been thinking about Chris's group buy on Necksgen but it's little use without a race seat and harness bar/ roll bar. Will maybe go Simpson hybrid otherwise.

Also, for the NZ 996/997ers out there: anyone got a (coupe) roof rack (RTS) they want to sell? Thought I was first to respond to a Canadian ad but they're selling to someone more local.

Might as well keep the dollars in NZ if possible.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Great, although as discussed:

1. No matter what time you put down, you just know Paul will pair us up on the grid

2. Any talk of taking it easy will end up with the standard reply
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Anyone have a spare race seat or two here in NZ? I have a Schroth harness and a post capable helmet so have been thinking about Chris's group buy on Necksgen but it's little use without a race seat and harness bar/ roll bar. Will maybe go Simpson hybrid otherwise. Also, for the NZ 996/997ers out there: anyone got a (coupe) roof rack (RTS) they want to sell? Thought I was first to respond to a Canadian ad but they're selling to someone more local. Might as well keep the dollars in NZ if possible.
I have the Porsche roof rack, which I bought for my windsurfers. Have yet to actually use it as intended. Wasn't cheap but is great quality. Will sell at 60% of Design 911 price base price which means you save 40% + customs + GST + freight.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
As per your text, I will put Herman and Lola beside each other and nominate a 1.19.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
As per your text, I will put Herman and Lola beside each other and nominate a 1.19.
Nice work Paul. This will be fun to watch. Douggie on r compounds this time. Lets see who wins the race to a 2/3rd syncho job eh LOL!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater

Interesting reading about the upkeep costs of the older cars. I spent a bit of time trying to decide between an 81-3 SC or 964 (with significant $$ spent on bringing it up to an acceptable standard to drive daily) or a 996 (with $$ spent to a lesser degree) but thanks to the opportunity in the form of a $1 reserve auction by a rather strange dealer ended up in the 997. I've bought in to it at the beginning of the bigger maintenance spend but with the $$ saved on initial outlay I can absorb it for a few years at least. Sill want for an older car at times, but happy with the turbo for the moment. Just need to firm the suspension a little and reduce the porpoising on uneven surfaces. And new wheels. And a free flowing exhaust. And new...
Jake. You have to remember we are talking about older cars that are seeing some hard track work in their latter years. My car cost basically nothing other than maintenance for the first 11-12 years I owned it. In that I never had to replace a part (other than batteries). Of course it didnt stop me upgrading things. Wasn't till the track/targa that things started to break. But you have to remember its being driven hard. On the SITT it was consistently on the heels of Steve Rs 997S even with a poked 2/3rd synchro and a green pilot. Optomised (suspension/ARB settings), with newly rebuilt box and an experienced wheelman it could keep alot of much more modern Porsches honest. And thats the thing. When you are pushing a platform designed 24 years ago to its limits things will start to wear and possibly break.

Dont let this put you off an older car. If you buy a good one (like the car Doug bought) you will find maintenance costs manageable. Unfortunately they are often getting to the age and mileage where they need gearbox work or top end rebuilds and if you can avoid that then great.

The thing is from my observation it is very difficult to go to a NA car once you have owned a turbo and you have a 997 Turbo so really it makes it quite challenging to drop 200 bhp and 60% of the torque to backdate to a 964 C2 or similar....
Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just been looking at getting a Necksgen and have been told that if I can get at least 3 people together to buy them we can get them for $799 (including gst) each. This is here in Auckland so you can go in and try them on to ensure they fit properly etc. and they have all sizes in stock. Let me know if you are interested. I will be buying one before the enduro in a few weeks.
Put me down for one as well. Looks like four now - perhaps we can negotiate a bit more!

I have HANS posts already installed. Based on measurements the locations are close and drilled holes should be the same size.

Where are these guys located? I'll stop in with the helmet to doublecheck.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
I have the Porsche roof rack, which I bought for my windsurfers. Have yet to actually use it as intended. Wasn't cheap but is great quality. Will sell at 60% of Design 911 price base price which means you save 40% + customs + GST + freight.
Hi John. That's brilliant thanks. Looking at Design911, I get as follows:

328.28 GBP = 647.52 NZD per Google.That times 60% = $388.51. Happy to make it up to a round $400. Will PM you my contact details - could collect this weekend if it suits.

Just race seat/s and a rollbar (or at least harness bar) still on the local wishlist then.

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-23-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?