Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Im already spending 5K a year to store my car I guess Sean similar. Come to us with a proposal. Your the project guy. Maybe we can build something if demand dictates.
I would need several of us in for $100-$150K to actually get something.

People would need to PM if they are interested.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:24 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
yep spares already capexed

Sean - more the merrier happy to chat anytime
I do need to get in touch. I've been on the road for 2 months but back in Singapore now. I will keep an eye out for you on Skype.

Id struggle to open the electric roller door in the morning so you wouldnt want me on the tools. I can build a flat 6 out of lego with my eyes closed but that's as far as it goes. However when it comes to international after-market supplier relationships and identifying some trick gear for the "company demo" I think I can help.

Soccer mums need ECU lowering modules for their Cayennes after all, even the poor mums with the Macan Turbos will want a few Techart bodykit improvements to individualise their ride from the 24 other Macans outside those expensive private schools that middle class Aucklander's so love to favour (advance apologies to all those on here wed to exxy annual private school fees to give their young ones the advantage in an increasingly competitive marketplace). All this while some uneducated kid in the boondocks of thailand invents a bird app for iphone and makes 50K usd a week in royalties. Makes you wonder aye....
lol!

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Seriously - I'd be keen to go shares in a private car storage facility (i.e. warehouse) if others were up to it........
Next time I am back I will look into some options. But I think with 3 cars for myself it's starting to get time to look into. My partners Dad has what they call a "toyshed" back in her home town. Him and 5 of his mates have a massive space for boats, cars etc and all the nice gear for tinkering and cleaning. Including steam cleaners etc. The only thing it doesn't have is a bar.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:27 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Just catching up on the last chapter of posts. Phew, so many in 24 hours.

My costs experience from the 3 day Targa Tour....

Targa Tour fees $2100 plus Gst. The SI Targa Tour fee is $4k plus Gst or $100 more after early bird expires mid June.
Trackit is compulsory. Buy one for around $900 installed and pay $60 to register it for each event or hire one for $100 plus Gst including registration. Hireage is a no brainer IMO.
Paul used a $2 iphone app for the mileage and towards the end we didn't rely on it much as we focused on both of us reading the road and only using the route book for the level 1-3 warnings and turn offs.
I kept 100 metre distance behind the car in front and probably saved $1k of damage. Only a couple of times did we get showered when we enthusiastically caught up with the Lambo. Try not to be behind someone running track tyres and don't sit on someone's ****. Instead we moved up the field between stages to find our rightful place as our pace improved.
R888s only half worn from new. Replacement cost $1,600. They were brilliant once hot.
Pre-event fluids replacement and general service $400. I needed new front rotors at $800 fitted :-(
8-9 fills of gas but most only half fill top ups. Haven't added up the receipts.
Accommodation and food $900 for two of us.
Prestigio insurance extension fee (new) $175

Risk of an off.... Hard to factor in. The three that went off, 1= somehow found an oil patch on the road, 2= father and son who were pushing it too hard at the start of day 1. All were BMWs. No pcars had issues. Chris had issues due to his engine having had a major service (engine out) and not enough time to shake it down fully before the Targa. Those that followed closely suffered major stone chip peppering damage. Especially if following someone on track tyres.

Wear and tear.... Probably reasonably significant. We push the cars hard. Paul reckons the equivalent of say 5 track days.

How much $$$ for the fun? Unmeasurable. No regrets.

However, I would regret it if I went off and damaged my car and the risk of that is reasonably high vs track days. We probably had about 3 serious sphincter clenching moments but keeping the power on and not looking at the fence/bank kept us on the black stuff... Just. :-)

We were stuffed after day 3 and very much in the groove. In a 5-6 day event I can see what Macca means about being tired, pushing harder and harder (wear on car) and to top it off, you make more mistakes when tired. However, I'm keen to do it for this year's south island one-off event if I can find the dosh.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Something for you bike guys!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...468887493.html
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Nik. Have you got the price right - that's only 175K USD?

That Rubystone 964RS is the nutz in my opinion. I have the 1:18 minichamps in that colour and truth be told for me its the holy grail colour and model (particularly that on in that condition and mileage). OK also throw a 993RS in speed yellow into the garage just for good measure....

I wonder what they are asking? Any ideas on what it would fetch?

Id sell the 993 & GT3 for it (I think that would cover it) but then Im faced with the same dilemma - the one I just cant get my head around. I had the same issue in Switzerland with the Maritime blue car (I actually prefer the Rubystone Red personally - in person its really lovely - theres a doctor in Singapore whos car I saw - hes done 200,000km on his since buying in new in 1992!).

Id also prefer LHD for these cars than RHD. Ive driven both and LHD in an early aircooled is 100% without argue the best seating position. It also has a larger collectors market (open up to USA and soon China collectors). Otherwise its down to the GBP and state of the UK economy. Caveat is I drive LHD daily and have driven LHD in RHD country RHD in LHD country etc so no longer have the "stigma" or "fear" others that have no LHD experience have...

The problem I always get to is this. I chuck in the 993/GT3 for a 964RS low miler minter like the one in your ad. 150-200K USD whatever. Happy Days. Good pub bragging rights etc. On the forums Im a superstar (USA didnt get the 64 or 93RS). Milford cruising club on a Thursday folks talk to me. Yada Yada.

Now what? I got me a minter/spanking ***** to the wall factory hotrod which is escalating in price and way to precious to drive, the Virgo in me raised its ugly head and I worry about stone chips needing replacement windows (and the damage that pursues), the mod man in me wants to improve the struts but it wont be as original etc etc.

I have one solid garage space (the GT3 has a temporary 12 month loan space). I fly in and use my cars 40 days a year average. I USE my cars (i.e. pretty much half the Kms its getting the t*ts driven off it). I want to do Targa Tour and Track Tour, a few Rons Sunday drives and the infamous trip to Waipu Cove we are now calling the legendary "bath" run (fairness to David I didnt make him chuck up but he was a bit anxious I believe). Could I do all this in a mint Rubystone 964RS? I dont know is my psyche would let me. This is my delimma. I hate owning irreplaceable stuff. Puts too much pressure on my Psyche. I know this as Ive "been there and done that" so its not a hollow rant. I need low mental hassle, stress free reliable fast motoring in the next 3-5 years.

Maybe Im wrong and should just jump in feet and all. Thought crosses my mind time to time but usually when I go back on myself I regret the decision.

Slow day at the office. Rant over!!
Rubystone is my pick of 964 RS colours. The car is my link is meant to be for sale for 27M Yen.

Here are the pics of the N/GT:

Name:  WP0ZZZ96ZNS499280front_zps4916b449.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  WP0ZZZ96ZNS499280rear_zpse39fe20b.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  42.5 KB

The N/GT is a 1 owner car done 43,000kms, the colour is meant to be rare (Crystal Silver) and it was a grade 4.5 (very good). Price wise it sold for ¥17,570,000.

I can't believe the number of real 993 RS and 993 RS CS's selling in Japan. Last week 3 (2 were CS's) went to auction!

This week there is this white 993 RS, 63,000kms, grade 4.5:

Name:  WP0ZZZ99ZTS390560front_zpsc195f26c.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  WP0ZZZ99ZTS390560rear_zpsac1f39b7.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  WP0ZZZ99ZTS390560inside_zps4c60b5d3.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  58.0 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Just catching up on the last chapter of posts. Phew, so many in 24 hours.

How much $$$ for the fun? Unmeasurable. No regrets.

However, I would regret it if I went off and damaged my car and the risk of that is reasonably high vs track days. We probably had about 3 serious sphincter clenching moments but keeping the power on and not looking at the fence/bank kept us on the black stuff... Just. :-)

We were stuffed after day 3 and very much in the groove. In a 5-6 day event I can see what Macca means about being tired, pushing harder and harder (wear on car) and to top it off, you make more mistakes when tired. However, I'm keen to do it for this year's south island one-off event if I can find the dosh.
Doug. Great write up. Thanks very much and will be of interested to those considering a Targa Tour in the future.

I agree with all points. I was asked how I managed to do the Tour with out any large rock dings or a cracked window shield and the answer was "I stayed 100m behind the car in front". Its really that simple. As you say if you know you are quicker than the guy in front when it comes time to line up for the next stage ask if you can go ahead of them. No one ever said no! Maybe the just liked the sound of the 993 LOL!

I dont agree that a 3 days Targa Tour is equivalent to 5 full day track sessions as far as wear on the car. That's Mr 7/10th's exaggerating again ;-). Cosmetically yes but you dont use the brakes as hard as the track nor the tyres, lateral Gs are less and you are staying away from pak revs and instead using peak torque so its much easier on the valve train - also likely the gearbox as a function of that. Id guess for myself a 6 day Targa like the Nov SI event will be the equivalent of 4-5 track days driven hard.

My personal belief is that R compound tyres should be banned for use on Targa Tour. They are:

a). too sticky and cause undue damage to the vehicles behind,
b) encourage heroics beyond the driving capability of the pilots and
c) are compromised in the wet. Luckily you didnt have to drive in the absolute pelting rain. Our first Targa stage was raining cats and dogs. I had a wife paralysed with fear never read a route book in her life, I was sh*tting bricks and we hit almost 200kmh on our first decent straight. Im sure Ive posted the photos before so Ill refrain from repating myself but suffice to say on Z221s I think we would be out of contention by the end of that 800m straight...

Those are just my thoughts. Of course until they ban them I will use them (in fair conditions).

But that in many ways is the attraction of the event. You roll the dice and if you finish you are elated. In every other dimension it probably makes no sense. For my wife it makes negative sense - she cant understand for a moment whats enjoyable about wetting yourself almost every corner LOL!

Those Trackits have gone up. I think mine was $750 installed. You are right tho why buy one if you can rent one that cheap! Damn!

Anyway Doug. Glad we have another convert. For a guy like you I have no doubt you'll rock on through the extra length 6 day 20th and still have the energy to drive home. You are a driving machine!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would need several of us in for $100-$150K to actually get something.

People would need to PM if they are interested.
Paul. Those numbers are fine. Put me on the list. John hits the nail on the head somewhat. We probably have the skill set amongst the group to pull something like that together. Pete knows the metrics, you know the building code and John can bank it LOL!

One thing tho John. Kennard's have had one of those car garages vacant now for 5 months and a second one came available when I was back in April. I think the market has got a bit skinny for 5K a year car storage...
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously - I'd be keen to go shares in a private car storage facility (i.e. warehouse) if others were up to it........
Smells like an end-run attempt around the car embargo!

Doug - looks like your tour did tally to roughly $2k/day then. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Smells like an end-run attempt around the car embargo!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! - spy's are everywhere..........
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Very short distance from the motorway, not too far away from the city and some holding income??

Must be a catch as the rent almost covers the mortgage and you get the use of 800m2??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/co...-723301587.htm
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
yep we turn up to the Novatel and find out the story. our main competition looked like they had overtaken us on the final day. That is after he also fell off and missed a stage.
Turns out he ended up with 30 second penalty for speeding over 200kph. So we got the class win anyway.
Graeme, that is fantastic, well done. A great end to the weekend.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yes Macca, I would be happy with road tyres, especially if it rained. We were very lucky with the weather. The early morning runs were pretty dicy, with wet, moss, fog and leaves plus cold seal and tyres. Dodgy as and we had to be pretty careful.

Our track tyres in the wet would be a worry, but with the dry conditions they were fantastic. I do like paying only $1,600 for a set. Good road tyres are twice the price. Hard to get it right, eh. And we don't have a support crew so not the luxury of two sets of tyres weather dependent.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
All done,
SS15 was very hard to race, very on off throttle, couldn't see a thing. Tour car on its side in ditch.
SS16 was much better could see, hard enough temperature in the tyres to lean on them through corners in 4th through the cam, so 4-5k which was good could actually carry some speed. No3rd was still hurting us.
SS17 was a repeat of 15 and although still incredibly foggy was bright enough to see more, and actually was a pretty fast stage.
SS18 an enjoyable repeat of SS16

The last 3 stages were dry and fast and we felt we were really in the groove.

There were a lot of crashes this year. Which can be unnerving when you come across them. We were 2nd and 3rd cars to a couple of big crashes. And the safety gear in a race car really is a necessity in motorsport.

The car has a few more rattles, and a very noisy gearbox, but we are done.

Well done to the tour boys, who completed as it was not an easy morning.
Attachment 835157
Great result guys, well done. You sure had a big smile every time I saw you!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Very short distance from the motorway, not too far away from the city and some holding income??

Must be a catch as the rent almost covers the mortgage and you get the use of 800m2??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/co...-723301587.htm
Must be. Wonder what term the tenant is there for.

Looks awesome though.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

In terms of costs. Broadly agree with what others have posted. I did spend more prepping the car, but I look at that as maintenance I would do anyway at some point, so play down that point.

I ran on 221's but only because the forecast was guaranteed dry, no regrets on tyre choice, they were fantastic. In terms of throwing up stones, the car got hammered following cars on road tyres, there was so much gravel that I dont think tyres made the difference, everyone was spraying stones. I went in to race mode and followed close, living in the moment and just accepting the car would need a tidy up at the end, no regrets again, it was fun and thats why I was there.

I ended up running at the front after being encouraged by others to do so as I pushed Darryl and that picked up the overall pace of the group. Ron and othrrs commented that we ran the fastest stages they have even been through in the Tour. The price I paid was following very close and suffering a lot of stone damage, but I tell you, I had a huge smile at the end of every stage.

I'm converted, it will be an annual event for me. It was many times better than I imagined. After having done the SITT and Targa Tour this year I am reminded what a fantastic country NZ is and how lucky we are.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?