Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Garry D said. Whats their business plan? Higher than UK in NZ?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Agree John. But you are the first I know in our group to have a full respray (apart from Lola but that was partial and accident related). We may have to wait for your car to sell to get something comparative to say Pauls - but as Paul will tell you and probably Peter too, people are skeptical about repainted cars for some reason and you only get cents in the dollar back on this type of spend.
Interesting you say that about the respray as its a question I'm being asked and I guess the reason why I documented the respray. I've just gotten off the phone from a guy calling about the 993 who used to own the Cobalt Blue 964T that he had trouble selling 3 years ago and ending up selling it for $80k and now he's just seen it listed for $189k and sold for who knows what!

Last edited by Kiwi Carguy; 11-05-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good thinking documenting the respray!! Back in 2005 I did not think to do that! People always sceptical when work respray is mentioned....
Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I think Sean led the respray and refurb trend.

Personally, I no longer have a respray phobia (funny that). What Richard did to the Turbo 3.6 inspired me. Herman's is a compromise job as its not bare metal, but it will hopefully have the same end result I.e paint that will be difficult to fault. The original paint was just too worn to bring back to the level I wanted. If some people value older flawed paint over a respray then that's their choice. I want Herman to look as close to new condition, and drive like it as I can.

Btw I wonder at what age does a respray become expected and enhance value? That 912 at CCS has the worst paint job I have seen. So bad it looks like some one used a vacuum clearer on it. That's clearly a case where a respray devalued the car. Dave's T will be the opposite.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

My SC has had a respray that has devalued the car... Previous owners sin. Have been told it was sprayed with either an incompatible paint, or poorly mixed. I don't know paint, so have no idea. For me, it stops the car from rusting, and looks better than primer, so doesn't bother me. But I did get into 911 ownership quite cheaply so I can't complain

At least stone chips don't bother me!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
My SC has had a respray that has devalued the car... Previous owners sin. Have been told it was sprayed with either an incompatible paint, or poorly mixed. I don't know paint, so have no idea. For me, it stops the car from rusting, and looks better than primer, so doesn't bother me. But I did get into 911 ownership quite cheaply so I can't complain

At least stone chips don't bother me!
Have you posted Photo's of your SC yet Chris? Wouldn't mind seeing what you have there.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I think Sean led the respray and refurb trend.

Personally, I no longer have a respray phobia (funny that). What Richard did to the Turbo 3.6 inspired me. Herman's is a compromise job as its not bare metal, but it will hopefully have the same end result I.e paint that will be difficult to fault. The original paint was just too worn to bring back to the level I wanted. If some people value older flawed paint over a respray then that's their choice. I want Herman to look as close to new condition, and drive like it as I can.

Btw I wonder at what age does a respray become expected and enhance value? That 912 at CCS has the worst paint job I have seen. So bad it looks like some one used a vacuum clearer on it. That's clearly a case where a respray devalued the car. Dave's T will be the opposite.
Seans car wasn't a refurb rather a personal project from ground up. He bought a long campaigned Bridgestone series "RS/Cup" spec car (for about 40K IIRC) and had it tidied up adding a few little personal touches (sunroof delete, seats, wheels, door mirrors etc. Underneath its still has Cup car suspension (coilovers & spring rates), LSD, RS uprights, Big Red brakes and Puk racing clutch with full MSNZ cage. Its probably as close as you can practically go making a 964 race car road compliant. IIRC its all factory steal panels too, so comes in around 1240kg all fuelled up, not quite as light as Steve Rs fiberglass paneled 964s which I suspect are under 1200kg. I believe the project probably cost him around 90K all in. Im not sure is hes got around to having the engine+gearbox rebuilt but that was next to do, but that was next on his list...

The really exotic fruit was all on the 964 race car he imported from US and recently sold.

If you never need a respray all the better I suspect. Its more a question of patina. When does patina become valued as opposed as seen as a "blemish". Depends on the cars historical significance and model. I suspect that any car benefits on resale by being more presentable and paint will definitely help in that. Needs to be documented however. Problem in our local market is few are willing to pay any premium for new paint (even fewer still have any idea what that costs in time and money). New paint will certainly help you move the car quicker in NZ but as Peter, Paul and shortly James have found out no one pays extra coin for it as such...
Old 11-05-2015, 09:30 PM
mjharrisonnz
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
Here's another one for the, that seems like a lot of money pile.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=977025931

A GT2 in NZ being marketed by Dutton Garage at a price that seems to be well above UK prices even.
Someone has clearly had too many class A drugs.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Chris_chch
Advanced

It's standard issue 1980 ROW SC. LHD. It doesn't have a huge amount of history, but spent some time in the states at some point. Top end was redone in Wellington about 40k kms ago. I've just been slowly upgrading/replacing bits as money and time allows. All been preventative so far, except for the external thermostat, which had boogered threads and a leak. New Konis, pedal cluster bush's etc etc. Its been an amazing car really. Drove it down from Auckland non stop... Then down to bluff a few weeks later. Has been 15k trouble free kms so far.Name:  20150829_154900_resized_1.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  177.1 KB
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
New paint will certainly help you move the car quicker in NZ but as Peter, Paul and shortly James have found out no one pays extra coin for it as such...
My respray was an insurance job and didn't factor at all into my thinking for resale. When I got it someone had polished through the top coat to the undercoat on the bonnet swage/edge and so when my son left his scooter in front of it on the ground and I drove over it denting my front left guard so it naturally made sense to do as much as I could to tidy the car up. Insurance paid out about 70-80% of the job and I covered the rest.

You don't need to convince me that its easy to over capitalise on these cars and the buyer won't pay for that at the other end. Most of what I have done to my P-cars has been for my own enjoyment and not for the next owner. If I come out on top or even then great and if I lose some money I've had a blast doing it. I can imagine Ferry sitting up there in the heavens going ITS NOT ABOUT THE VALUES!!! at the top of his voice.... you're supposed to DRIVE THEM lol
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Dust 00
Track Day

I'm getting ready to nerd up and create a shopping list of nuts bolts and washers to refresh under the 964. I'm begining with the suspension components, and all attahced associated moving equipment as Phase 1. Then onto Phase 2: body clips while I replace a few 25year old seals and tim pieces.
- Has anyone already got a speadsheet or list of nuts n bolts with associated spec length/size/tpi etc before I begin the task fo collecting this info together?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Over capitalise? Is that possible on a 964?

More seriously, I'm close to finishing the splitter refurb. One more sanding session then a final gel coat.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dust 00
I'm getting ready to nerd up and create a shopping list of nuts bolts and washers to refresh under the 964. I'm begining with the suspension components, and all attahced associated moving equipment as Phase 1. Then onto Phase 2: body clips while I replace a few 25year old seals and tim pieces.
- Has anyone already got a speadsheet or list of nuts n bolts with associated spec length/size/tpi etc before I begin the task fo collecting this info together?
Have you got the various 964 docs i.e. Parts catalogue and workshop manuals?

Are the parts functionally stuffed or more cosmetic? If the latter then it may be better to restore the existing parts as this gets expensive very quickly.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks good (on the interweb at least John).

Same too Chris with SC.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Dust 00
Track Day

Originally Posted by John McM
Have you got the various 964 docs i.e. Parts catalogue and workshop manuals?

Are the parts functionally stuffed or more cosmetic? If the latter then it may be better to restore the existing parts as this gets expensive very quickly.
Mainly cosmetic and as a process to make life less stressful for the future me. If I replace the fixings in one solid effort I wont need to worry about cracking old nuts everytime I want to go in there and swap or adjust or upgrade something.

In my experience replacing as you go means the car stays on the road. Retoring all the bits I would be inclind to to the job 100% and have them stripped and treated again, car off road as this gets done and costly anyway. I can make the call as I tally it all up I guess.

Any reason I'd want to stick to OEM Pcar nuts and bolts here or it's fine to order from someone like Blacks fasteners?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?