Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear that Doug. I had a post NITT run like that with the GT3 (pads, rotors etc). I know what its like. Unplanned cost.

It costs to play unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Facebook Post

^^^^^ Just lovin these air cooled beauties.............
Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Know how you feel Doug. Porsche ownership is like keeping a pet shark. Expensive on a good day, and an arm and a leg on a bad one...

... but worth every penny!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. She'll be in the shop several days while parts arrive so Lola is getting some daily action in the mean time :-)

Jay, service admin guy, said Contis have bought the land behind the old house next door at the back and will turn it into more parking area. Also the whole place is getting a substantial building makeover real soon, showroom and workshop. You might get your wish John. Not that you need Contis any more :-P
Old 10-15-2015, 04:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
The RS60 went in for a warrant and 60k major service at CCS today. It turned out to be a bad news day. Some good news, they spotted a screw and an embedded bit of aerial in my left rear tyre. They're both punctured next to each other and the recommendation was "unrepairable" due to the proximity. If I didn't drive in a spirited fashion I'd say "get over yourself and repair it" :-(. That's the second left rear tyre to get nailed on b-road runs this year. Good to find it in the workshop rather than problems occurring in the field like last time. Bad news is the other good Michelin 275/35R19 PSS tyre is only 1/2 worn and while I have a matching spare rear from the last time, it's 265 Bridgestone whereas the michelin in 275. So a new set of rear 265/35R14 Pirelli pzeros are going on for Porsche club discounted price of $1400 all up fitted with GST. Pete, I've now 2x emergency spare 50% worn 19" 987 fronts and rears if you ever get caught out in a bind in the R. Front wheel bearings were rough and need replacing. Also steering arm ball joints (where they join the steering rack, not the wheel carrier end) have excessive play and need replacing. Bit surprised for a 2008 60k car with 2 previous lady owners. They don't make them like the old days aye. All up no change out of $5k including the major service today. Fricking Porsche tax.
That sucks. I've yet to check my wheel bearings etc. They are relatively cheap to buy but I imagine expensive to fit. What was the worst of the costs?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Yep. She'll be in the shop several days while parts arrive so Lola is getting some daily action in the mean time :-) Jay, service admin guy, said Contis have bought the land behind the old house next door at the back and will turn it into more parking area. Also the whole place is getting a substantial building makeover real soon, showroom and workshop. You might get your wish John. Not that you need Contis any more :-P
I don't expect to need CCS again, although I suspect what I would spend in labour will be spent in tools instead. Right now i'm looking for a 3:1 torque multiplier for the big bolts on our cars. That and a press would allow me to change bearings etc.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im tempted to do a Euro delivery on one of these.....

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/feature...november-2015/
Macca, I love Alfa's and have owned a few and tried so hard to keep going back but they empty your pockets faster than a dodgy 911. The only future Alfa I will own will be on a company lease ticket, and brand new with a plan to give it back on the eve of the warranty finishing. Such a shame.
That said, if I stumbled upon a fully sorted restomod Giulia 1300 junior -....
Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That sucks. I've yet to check my wheel bearings etc. They are relatively cheap to buy but I imagine expensive to fit. What was the worst of the costs?
Correct. Front ones go first usually. Around $150 USD a side but a bear to fit and require alignment afterwards. Good idea to get all four corners done now. They do last a long time but starting to life out on older 964 now. I got them done with other jobs to minimize labour cost.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Awww Doug, that sux. $5k for a set of tyres and a couple of ball joints. Its out of hand

Dave, how about this one then? Can i tempt you into another project

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=962419348
Old 10-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Look at that face?
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Awww Doug, that sux. $5k for a set of tyres and a couple of ball joints. Its out of hand

Dave, how about this one then? Can i tempt you into another project

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=962419348
That looks pretty tired, I don't know much about Alfa values but I would have thought she'd be all out at 10k, but they are still bidding.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:30 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Look at that face?
Buck tooth ugly sister I say...
Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 AM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't expect to need CCS again, although I suspect what I would spend in labour will be spent in tools instead. Right now i'm looking for a 3:1 torque multiplier for the big bolts on our cars. That and a press would allow me to change bearings etc.
The thing with that is, good tools you will have for a lifetime. Big bills from CCS you'll remember for a lifetime.......I know which I prefer.
10 years ago I took the plunge and bought one of those Snap On roll cabinets (this thing is huge, 1.5m long) and yes it cost a small fortune but I use it every day and is one of the best things I've bought.
Had a peek at the red 964 which was painted on Monday............you will be VERY happy!
These new paint guns are amazing, they atomize the paint soo much more than the older style resulting is a near peel free finish right out of the gun. No buffing required.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
The thing with that is, good tools you will have for a lifetime. Big bills from CCS you'll remember for a lifetime.......I know which I prefer.
10 years ago I took the plunge and bought one of those Snap On roll cabinets (this thing is huge, 1.5m long) and yes it cost a small fortune but I use it every day and is one of the best things I've bought.
Had a peek at the red 964 which was painted on Monday............you will be VERY happy!
These new paint guns are amazing, they atomize the paint soo much more than the older style resulting is a near peel free finish right out of the gun. No buffing required.
Anticipation building Is Ray's car getting a full glass out respray or a touch up?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would like to believe it would end up less than that, but I'm not holding my breath. We are well on the way now. John has done his work, the body is at paint, Steve/Dan are rebuilding the box (spoke to Steve this week) and I have only three parts left to arrive. No doubt there will be a final order of small items as I work through the refit, but nothing major.

To give you an idea of the detail, I have sourced new screws for the carpet strip at $4.50 each (not a misprint!) and there are ten of them. I did this as they attract light surface corrosion when scuffed. I want the sill to be perfect, as new. It would certainly merit a professional photo shoot, so if they're interested get them in contact. They can title it "964 folly".
whewee!! that's an impressive list John. no doubt could be a few things added before the end too. stop counting $ is my advice. File the invoices and throw the calculator away. Hard for a banker I know.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?