Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:25 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Dust 00
Mainly cosmetic and as a process to make life less stressful for the future me. If I replace the fixings in one solid effort I wont need to worry about cracking old nuts everytime I want to go in there and swap or adjust or upgrade something. In my experience replacing as you go means the car stays on the road. Retoring all the bits I would be inclind to to the job 100% and have them stripped and treated again, car off road as this gets done and costly anyway. I can make the call as I tally it all up I guess. Any reason I'd want to stick to OEM Pcar nuts and bolts here or it's fine to order from someone like Blacks fasteners?
PB Blaster and a propane torch will be on your Christmas list in my opinion what you are doing is smart as you can pace your self and avoid the big issues when a repair is needed and a bolt etc costs time and money to sort. I had one of those problems with my driveshafts. Two nights cutting bolt heads off.

There are a lot of smaller parts that I wouldn't hesitate using aftermarket e.g. The non loaded items like body screws. I wouldn't use aftermarket for anything requiring large torque values as y need to know the full spec which isn't on the parts catalogue.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 AM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So we have taken delivery and it fits inside, only just She's quite the beast and very slow! Oh well.

Ha the photo is not sideways for me and I am uploading from a PC! Sorry about that people, just showing off it's amazing off road capabilities.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2015, 01:04 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I think we have debated this many times Macca. In the 3 years since I repatriated there are only two 964s I regret not buying (Lola, ex Dave ex Matt) and Peter's C4 (missed out by hours on that in 2012). No one as far as I know has unloaded a looked after manual 964 for cents on the dollar. If they had it would be sitting in my garage. I don't know what it is about the two models but 993s (until recently) seem to be in better base condition and 964s are the more modded cars. Case in point
What was wrong with Mr Black?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_chch
It's standard issue 1980 ROW SC. LHD. It doesn't have a huge amount of history, but spent some time in the states at some point. Top end was redone in Wellington about 40k kms ago. I've just been slowly upgrading/replacing bits as money and time allows. All been preventative so far, except for the external thermostat, which had boogered threads and a leak. New Konis, pedal cluster bush's etc etc. Its been an amazing car really. Drove it down from Auckland non stop... Then down to bluff a few weeks later. Has been 15k trouble free kms so far.Attachment 988654
That sits pretty well, what are the wheels?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
I covered that in a later post
Old 11-06-2015, 02:02 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Mr Black is now in that space"? Anyway, these discussions better had over beer than bits and bytes lest responses get misconstrued.

Phil: can we twist your arm for hosting another beer and pizza night? Or has that train sailed?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

"Mr Black is now in that space"? Anyway, these discussions better had over beer than bits and bytes lest responses get misconstrued.

Phil: can we twist your arm for hosting another beer and pizza night? Or has that train sailed?
Aging memories but I can't remember Mr Black out there much after the gearbox repairs.

Anyway, grass gymkhana in Bb is a perfect way to end the year. Just need a field. If she leaves still running then we haven't driven hard enough. Could we get her airlifted there?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
So we have taken delivery and it fits inside, only just She's quite the beast and very slow! Oh well.

Ha the photo is not sideways for me and I am uploading from a PC! Sorry about that people, just showing off it's amazing off road capabilities.
Yip. Slower to 100 than drying paint! 100kmph that is as it will barely make 100 mph :-)

Now your just need to get it dirty...heres some modern cow sh*t art we created last months in Northland...
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, most of my car looks like that - 2 km shingle road before I get to a "proper road" such as they are. I've seen better roads in the Sinai (on the Egyptian side of the border !!!) than some of SH1 around here.
Wonder where the $tax goes
Old 11-06-2015, 03:47 AM
Chris_chch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxem
That sits pretty well, what are the wheels?
Wheels are Enkei 92's. 16x7.5 and 8. Period JDM 😊
Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

It wasn't red...?

To be fair the guys at Giltraps were raving about Mr Black the other day. They approve of Warwick's taste in mods!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

To be fair Mr Black is a credit to all his previous owners, not least the one prior to me who kept him in fine fiddle for 8 years. He has good bones and i'm just embellishing what is already a great car. If i'm honest i'm proud the enlightened, professional and enthusiast alike, appreciate him for what he is
Old 11-06-2015, 02:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
To be fair Mr Black is a credit to all his previous owners, not least the one prior to me who kept him in fine fiddle for 8 years. He has good bones and i'm just embellishing what is already a great car. If i'm honest i'm proud the enlightened, professional and enthusiast alike, appreciate him for what he is
I didn't realise Jason's ownership went so far back. Mr Black must have given great service over most of that period.

As Mr Blue was Jase's track car of choice when I first came back and Mr Black was giving gearbox trouble, plus spent some time with Motorscience when you first bought it I assumed it was similar to Herman, the biggest pile of deferred maintenance out there. Sorry Jason, I take that back.

When these were $30,000 to $35,000 cars (manual coupes) just a few years back, and track access wasn't so easy you can understand how cars being lightly used were also lightly maintained and how we ended up with a lot of polished roughies i.e. looked good but didn't last long at the track without breaking or were so far removed from the original dynamic quality that they were a shadow of the drive they should have been.

It's great to see the investment going in to some now and I hope the cars will begin to reflect that in price so that more will be inclined to spend what's needed to refresh what are up to 26 year old cars.

Last edited by John McM; 11-06-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Sorry my bad Jason owned him from 2008 until i bought him in 2014. When i bought Mr Black, Jason had him in at MS for a repeat fix to the sunroof which took sometime waiting for parts.

Following that i did spend a good deal of money having a few deferred maintenance items sorted, namely replacing the pinion seal on the front diff, a fix to the oil level sensor, replacement and repack of the front CV boots, and a valve service - including the replacement of a broken valve spring. The entire back end was pulled apart and cleaned up including painting as much of the easily accessable engine tin and polishing the exhaust.. I remember MS saying that there was quite some dried muck back there. Many of the fasteners were replaced. Most were things i knew about when i purchased the car so it wasn't unexpected. Some were unexpected jobs performed by MS.

At the time I also fixed a few niggly thing myself around that time including replacing the ignition switch, replacing the front and rear hood struts, both door seals, replaced both rear quarter lights and center reflector, the front "smile" seal, and the front heat ducting. I have subsequently kept on top of all items that get noted when he's on the hoist.

Since this is turning into a tell all, lol, i have added a few items. Full interior recarpet and retrim, Momo MOD 07 streering wheel, Steve Wong chip, Cat bypass, full brake flush with AP racing fluid, new Pagid orange pads, C2 Rear ARB, new transmission mount, Wevo black engine mounts, Billstein PSS10 all round, new suspension top mounts, replaced most strut mounting hardware with new items, Rennline strut brace and full geo

I still have the Renline engine carrier gusset and a lightweight battery and Rennline mount to fit

Probably a bunch of stuff i forgotton but thats quite a list for one year, ahem

Last edited by pcarplayer; 11-06-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know how Magnus' wife passed away yet - accident or illness?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?