Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John did you have the plastic part separated from the alloy bumper?

Need to take some nice glamour photos before he gets all patina'd. Have to think of a location....hmmm....white is an interesting colour to shoot

Have you thought of giving him a jewelers polish before sealing and/or waxing? Would really make him pop. In either case you might want at least 30 days before sealing or waxing. This is to allow for ay remaining solvents and gases to disperse. There are "body shop safe" products and if you want to be sure ask the painter what the paint manufacturer recommends

Soon be time to introduce him to a good wash regimen Happy to help out with any info you don't already have
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its no wonder Porsche were going bankrupt in the early 90s!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

woohoo Nothing like a new car and that's what it will look and feel like with new gearbox etc
Old 12-17-2015, 03:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
woohoo Nothing like a new car and that's what it will look and feel like with new gearbox etc
Yes
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM
shiraz
Racer

Macca said
I initially bought it because its my favorite number. Im also a Beatles fan and it always reminds me of "Revolution 9" from the white Album which ends with the mst iconic of phrases I can never forget..."Take this Brother and may it serve you well..."

Am also a long term Beatles fan - has been fun teaching the kids computer search skills to explain funny phrases & conspiracies such as "I buried Paul " & "here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul" etc
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater
Looking forward to catching up with you guys on Saturday. Phil, is there anything you'd like us to bring?
If a few bring nibbly things that always gets eaten
For those more healthy, perhaps things that go on the BBQ if the weather is good.
I dont mind cooking up a storm
But not in one...!
Pizza if weather dictates
Salad type things my lady says if we r bbqing
Parking... If the wharf is not too full I have permission to let cars on the wharf
Text me on 0274923374 or ring when on your way and I will advise accordingly
BYOG..I will have ice bins for the chilling thereof
Old 12-17-2015, 03:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
John did you have the plastic part separated from the alloy bumper?

Need to take some nice glamour photos before he gets all patina'd. Have to think of a location....hmmm....white is an interesting colour to shoot

Have you thought of giving him a jewelers polish before sealing and/or waxing? Would really make him pop. In either case you might want at least 30 days before sealing or waxing. This is to allow for ay remaining solvents and gases to disperse. There are "body shop safe" products and if you want to be sure ask the painter what the paint manufacturer recommends

Soon be time to introduce him to a good wash regimen Happy to help out with any info you don't already have
Warwick, it was completely dismantled so the 3 bumper parts could be painted individually. I had it apart right down to the last nut and bolt. Rivets drilled out. New license plate lights, rubber seals and then all reassembled. RUF tips polished as well. Have to love solid stainless, it always comes good.

Now is the time to think about a coating. Do they really work? I'd be Interested in help with a mid level washing regime.

As for photos there is only one place for that. Sunrise at Kohi beach. It has the right angles, backdrop and is close.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:49 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Warwick, it was completely dismantled so the 3 bumper parts could be painted individually. I had it apart right down to the last nut and bolt. Rivets drilled out. New license plate lights, rubber seals and then all reassembled. RUF tips polished as well. Have to love solid stainless, it always comes good.
5 hours is fair then. I was surprised just thinking it was fitting the bumper alone

Now is the time to think about a coating. Do they really work? I'd be Interested in help with a mid level washing regime.
Products like CQuartz will give you up to a couple of years worth of sealant. They do have a certain level of anti-scratch protection. However, i wouldn't rely on that as insurance. Things to bear in mind though. Its not a filler and won't fill any other than the finest swirls or scratches so you must have a mint finish to start with - which i'm guessing you do - though i would suspect there would be some minor love marks already Usually other LSP's (Last Stage Protection - wax, etc) aren't recommended to be layered. Any future scratches will not be able to be 'hidden'. A product like Reload for CQuartz could be used as a top up, again its not a filler like wax. It takes a lot of work to remove - usually by machine. Its good for those that don't want to spend the time applying finishes (honestly probably most people). There are some good reviews of the stuff. I would probably use it on a beater that i don't have the passion to work on

Personally I prefer the look of non-nano sealants topped by a nice wax. I also like to be able to remove the old LSP and replace with the fresh when i want. - But then i'm happy to spend the time applying them. I find it therapeutic.

I'd be happy to run you through a simple washing regime. There are some basic tools/products and more importantly techniques to use. Perhaps by tutorial. i.e. i can bring some gear and help you wash your car

As for photos there is only one place for that. Sunrise at Kohi beach. It has the right angles, backdrop and is close.
I have a a site in mind for Mr Black for a sunrise shoot - different sort of light in the morning . Less pollution to gives it a bluer feel rather it than the haze of an evening golden hour
Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Morning
Stunning!

I may have missed this bit but have you turned the key...?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
5 hours is fair then. I was surprised just thinking it was fitting the bumper alone Products like CQuartz will give you up to a couple of years worth of sealant. They do have a certain level of anti-scratch protection. However, i wouldn't rely on that as insurance. Things to bear in mind though. Its not a filler and won't fill any other than the finest swirls or scratches so you must have a mint finish to start with - which i'm guessing you do - though i would suspect there would be some minor love marks already Usually other LSP's (Last Stage Protection - wax, etc) aren't recommended to be layered. Any future scratches will not be able to be 'hidden'. A product like Reload for CQuartz could be used as a top up, again its not a filler like wax. It takes a lot of work to remove - usually by machine. Its good for those that don't want to spend the time applying finishes (honestly probably most people).

Personally I prefer the look of non-nano sealants topped by a nice wax. I also like to be able to remove the old LSP and replace with the fresh when i want. - But then i'm happy to spend the time applying them. I find it therapeutic.

I'd be happy to run you through a simple washing regime. There are some basic tools/products and more importantly techniques to use. Perhaps by tutorial. i.e. i can bring some gear and help you wash your car I have a a site in mind for Mr Black for a sunrise shoot - different sort of light in the morning . Less pollution to gives it a bluer feel rather it than the haze of an evening golden hour
The sequence of bolting heat shields, inner and outer core are quite involved. Then as the bumper is dimensionally unstable until on the car it caused issues for a solo effort. Finally as I have learned, finger tight on all fittings until they are all located.

I'd appreciate that with the wash. Maybe teach a few others at the same time?

Btw this is why I use Kohi. It allows White paint to show its quality.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Stunning!

I may have missed this bit but have you turned the key...?
Once when Herman was oriented the other way in the garage. Had to stop work for an hour while the fumes dissipated

He ran, just a little rough. I've since rechecked all of the connections etc and turned him around with go jacks. I won't start him again until I have finished the other work, it distracts the focus.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

The car looks lovely John.
I'll have to get in on the act when the shutterbugs are out to get some sunrise shots of the T. The paint job turned out really great on that too - really happy with the quality and it is a year old now so might get some serious polishing over the holidays.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

The sequence of bolting heat shields, inner and outer core are quite involved. Then as the bumper is dimensionally unstable until on the car it caused issues for a solo effort. Finally as I have learned, finger tight on all fittings until they are all located.

I'd appreciate that with the wash. Maybe teach a few others at the same time?

Btw this is why I use Kohi. It allows White paint to show its quality.
That pic of the R is great. I think a good spot for White as you say. I'm in for the idea of a group tutorial too
Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll help you wash it John...with tyre marbles and black soot at HD during the festival :-)

Great to hear it starts.

One step closer to career from money man to mechanic...
Old 12-17-2015, 06:41 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
One step closer to career from money man to mechanic...
Given the rates some of those buggers are charging i don't really see the difference

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?