Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ditto that - I'm looking for a way to get the R down there.
We need my parts to arrive, Dan to finish my gearbox, then Dave can drive the R down while I take the Cayenne with his wheels and I bring my gear box back.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I live on a dirt road in a potholed country where I use low range every now and then. 4WD are used for their intended purpose. Towing and surviving rough roads (or no roads as the situation was after Cyclone). The Defender is "fit for purpose" has a design history and signature older than the 911 (infact the oldest in production car history IIRC), total reliability, low cost to run (many like the example above are Diesel BMW designed engines) and rock solid residuals (you could buy the above for 60K and with the end of production likely get 40K for it in 10 years time if not more). I just love the fact they do exactly as they say on teh packet and have ultimate street cred. If I needed a station car or did alot of hauling stuff around the double cab with tray version would suit me just fine. It aint a Remuera Tractor for sure and its a little agricultural to do DD for all but the passionate but in many ways its like the off road equivalent of the 964/993 and the only equivalents are the Land Cruiser 70 and the Benz G Wagon. If they sold these new (thus supported them) in V one would be in my driveway now rather than the 3.2 Ranger WT. Jo would hate me but eventually she would learn to love the Fendie.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Congrats to Peter (993 C4 owner recently sold on TM) for his last of line Heritage Limited Defender 90 purchase last week. Dogs Bollix!

Good on you mate!
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You shopping Cayennes Pete?
Nah - not a sensible vehicle for my daily 40km commute. Would be happy driving one but not so happy with the fuel bills!

Am looking for a cheapie commuter that can double as a kids learning car - if anyone knows of one...

Originally Posted by John McM
We need my parts to arrive, Dan to finish my gearbox, then Dave can drive the R down while I take the Cayenne with his wheels and I bring my gear box back.
That would be the planets aligning then

At this stage I'll be running the 944 at HD
Old 11-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You have to admire the range. Just look at some of the vehicle type names...
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to Peter (993 C4 owner recently sold on TM) for his last of line Heritage Limited Defender 90 purchase last week. Dogs Bollix!

Good on you mate!
What? Someone nabbed a Heritage? I must try to contain my jealousy and wonder how we were beaten to the punch. We were bumped off the list for one ourselves. Second best option has just arrived for us though, photos soon.

Congrats on the lovely vehicle Peter.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

At this stage I'll be running the 944 at HD
Paul, it's safe to run the full sessions now
Old 11-04-2015, 12:29 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah - not a sensible vehicle for my daily 40km commute. Would be happy driving one but not so happy with the fuel bills!

Am looking for a cheapie commuter that can double as a kids learning car - if anyone knows of one...
Here you go. You might even start a new one design class race within RSG...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=971938465
Old 11-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto that - I'm looking for a way to get the R down there.
You drive the R down, I drive down in the BMW loaded with wheels, I drive the T back, you drive the BMW back?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993 Targa
What? Someone nabbed a Heritage? I must try to contain my jealousy and wonder how we were beaten to the punch. We were bumped off the list for one ourselves. Second best option has just arrived for us though, photos soon.

Great taste. Would have been a sure fire winner for the collection. maybe Pete can sell it to you when hes finished with it. Cars in his possession almost always get sold better than when he received them (if that's possible for a new car Im sure he will manage it!).

Intrigues to whats new - post pics when you can...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
You drive the R down, I drive down in the BMW loaded with wheels, I drive the T back, you drive the BMW back?
I need to keep the gearbox on its carrier so I think it would have to be the Cayenne if I went.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 AM
integralenz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Targa

Thanks guys. Unfortunately had to replace the 238/85-16s with 245/75-16s and alter the (garage) door brackets to fit it into the garage. They are tall!. I've driven Land Rovers continuously since my first Series 1 in 1968 and had to have one of the last Defenders. As I remarked to Macca, Land Rover shame Porsche at charging more for less. The Heritage Edition is around $17k more than a better equipped "standard" Defender 90. Cloth seats and steel rims in place of part-leather and alloys and a few tacky details like faux galvanised painted hinges and bumpers, but it's the last of the legend, I love them, so gotta have one. Not sure how many Heritages came to NZ but very, very few. The amount of gear available online for Defenders is truly mind-boggling.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Steve needs to move to Auckland. There's a gap in the market right now and someone else will fill it. Between PeterH, ChrisB and DavidB - that's probably 30% of his last year workshop income - and all Auckland based. Id give them ago but the logistics are way to daunting for me from 3000km away.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Steve needs to move to Auckland. There's a gap in the market right now and someone else will fill it. Between PeterH, ChrisB and DavidB - that's probably 30% of his last year workshop income - and all Auckland based. Id give them ago but the logistics are way to daunting for me from 3000km away.
CCS are still manic so they have no obvious spare capacity, yet no sign of investment in a classic shop and the lack of parts held for older cars isn't an indication of increased focus there either.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I need to keep the gearbox on its carrier so I think it would have to be the Cayenne if I went.
I'm easy, I have to go to Hamilton anyway on Friday the 13th and am taking a colleague so that works in terms of drivers but I would like to get my hands on the T much earlier than the night before the track day.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?