Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Repco still have clearance stocks of SRF. 7 bottles at $100 each.

Last edited by John McM; 09-19-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca and Pete, this is as close as I can get considering you have different start/finish lines on your AIMs. Pete is the Red trace, his favourite colour.

Looks like there is no substitute for power, but the R holds its own in the twisties.
Thanks John - a few clear mistakes by me on that lap. Over braking compared to some other laps and lifting prior to the final corner before the back straight.

No question that HP matters on those straights. Be an interesting comparison to put Chris's Cayman in the mix as he will carry better speed through the tight bits but gives up 35 hp to the R - with almost identical overall lap times.

Was a fun day.

Dry in town at the moment - what's the story at HD?

Last edited by peterC2S; 09-19-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hanging with the Bros and their 6-700 bhp GTRs and their skanks. Very wet first session not raining now but threatening. Not really missing anything...
Old 09-19-2015, 08:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hanging with the Bros and their 6-700 bhp GTRs and their skanks. Very wet first session not raining now but threatening. Not really missing anything...
Simon should be out there testing his new engine upgrade.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Thanks John - a few clear mistakes by me on that lap. Over braking compared to some other laps and lifting prior to the final corner before the back straight. No question that HP matters on those straights. Be an interesting comparison to put Chris's Cayman in the mix as he will carry better speed through the tight bits but gives up 35 hp to the R - with almost identical overall lap times. Was a fun day. Dry in town at the moment - what's the story at HD?
Almost all of the difference is in the two back straights so yes difficult to discount the horsepower difference as a factor. You are going to have to work very hard to find 2 seconds in the twisties.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Almost all of the difference is in the two back straights so yes difficult to discount the horsepower difference as a factor. You are going to have to work very hard to find 2 seconds in the twisties.
Agree - there's a probably a second in later, harder braking and a bit more speed to be carried through the low speed corners. But to get more would be expensive!

Still, happy with the $/speed relativity. It really is the law of diminishing returns. Lucky we're not competitive (eh Paul!)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with the driver. I'm always amazed when I watch a video of someone shaving a handful of seconds off my time in a similar or less powerful car. I think if we spent a dry weekend at Taupo with a few instructors we could find some time we never knew was there. Petes hint on the A1 corner win me a second I didn't know was there, and it looks like I don't quite have it down pat yet and I bet there are other spots on that track we could all find time.

Bit wet out here today. A few have packed up and left. We even had a hail shower!!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the driver. I'm always amazed when I watch a video of someone shaving a handful of seconds off my time in a similar or less powerful car. I think if we spent a dry weekend at Taupo with a few instructors we could find some time we never knew was there. Petes hint on the A1 corner win me a second I didn't know was there, and it looks like I don't quite have it down pat yet and I bet there are other spots on that track we could all find time.

Bit wet out here today. A few have packed up and left. We even had a hail shower!!

Yep - just got that hail as well. Nasty and wouldn't want to be on track today. You seem to luck out at HD every time. Roll on Jan.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Agree - there's a probably a second in later, harder braking and a bit more speed to be carried through the low speed corners. But to get more would be expensive! Still, happy with the $/speed relativity. It really is the law of diminishing returns. Lucky we're not competitive (eh Paul!)
Paul seems to have gone bush. Not a word about the weekend.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Repco still have clearance stocks of SRF. 7 bottles at $100 each.
And if they sell out or you want to try a 'better' alternative Race Brakes sells a higher spec fluid from AP for less.

Segedins also sells SRF 1lt for 84 + gst
Old 09-19-2015, 11:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The HP doesn't seems as relevant as the driver when you witness Nigel C blitzing cars with much more power in his 360 BHP GT3. Tyres are probably the next factor and then power is 3rd. My first lap out at Taupo was 149.8 which was basically my fastest two years earlier when I drove Taupo for the first time in the GT3 (got some tuition that day from Ray). Knowing the lines is important. Paul was basically the same. We were both wondering what all the GT3 hype was about at that stage.

I don't think any of the GT3 drivers had Aim.
I really enjoyed the social side, but track wise struggled on the NITT - not sure if it was my head space or whether it is just easier to blame the tyres. I did struggle to get the tyre temps right on both tracks. Taupo was not good for me, I got the car out of shape quite badly on a few occasions and just wasn't in the mood for tempting fate....... I did try driving at 7/10's but it was a bit boring.........

500 odd laps at HD makes it easier................

When I am not going well at the track (whether it be HD or another track) - I just call it quits as this is when it gets dangerous (IMHO). I don't want to force myself or the car.

Last year the car tyre choice and my head space wasn't right at Taupo with the rain, so I went shopping and swimming with the wife, and Tony when home with a written off car??.....JMc got bragging rights that he was faster than me in the 993 in his 964 - and good for him.

I know you guys are looking for a bite on the "competitive" comment, and yes I do like to 'hold my own' against guys in similar cars (honestly, who doesn't??) - but I am not 'nasty competitive' and will complement someone who drives well, whether it's Macca on the SITT in a similar 993 car or Nigel, when he takes a 16 yr old GT3 and competes with new GT3's. Nigel's speed through the corners was amazing and there was no way I could have kept pace, yet at HD, with Nigel, there is nothing in it from past experience.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 09-20-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:16 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul seems to have gone bush. Not a word about the weekend.
You shouldn't really poke the bear like that John...
Old 09-20-2015, 12:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Pete's Screen Saver...........
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

My Screen Saver.........
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2015, 12:43 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ well played Paul.

(We'll never know which photo came first will we )

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?