Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Does anyone know how Magnus' wife passed away yet - accident or illness?
She was only 50 so it's natural to want to know and a number have asked but so far nothing has been disclosed.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Sorry my bad Jason owned him from 2008 until i bought him in 2014. When i bought Mr Black, Jason had him in at MS for a repeat fix to the sunroof which took sometime waiting for parts.

Following that i did spend a good deal of money having a few deferred maintenance items sorted, namely replacing the pinion seal on the front diff, a fix to the oil level sensor, replacement and repack of the front CV boots, and a valve service - including the replacement of a broken valve spring. The entire back end was pulled apart and cleaned up including painting as much of the easily accessable engine tin and polishing the exhaust.. I remember MS saying that there was quite some dried muck back there. Many of the fasteners were replaced. Most were things i knew about when i purchased the car so it wasn't unexpected. Some were unexpected jobs performed by MS.

At the time I also fixed a few niggly thing myself around that time including replacing the ignition switch, replacing the front and rear hood struts, both door seals, replaced both rear quarter lights and center reflector, the front "smile" seal, and the front heat ducting. I have subsequently kept on top of all items that get noted when he's on the hoist.

Since this is turing into a tell all, lol, i have added a few items. Full interior recarpet and retrim, Momo MOD 07 streering wheel, Steve Wong chip, Cat bypass, full brake flush with AP racing fluid, new Pagid orange pads, C2 Rear ARB, new transmission mount, Wevo black engine mounts, Billstein PSS10 all round, new suspension top mounts, replaced most strut mounting hardware with new items, Rennline strut brace.

I still have the Renline engine carrier gusset and a lightweight battery and Rennline mount to fit

Probably a bunch of stuff i forgotton but thats quite a list for one year, ahem
Kaching, kaching, kaching The hundy club is beckoning....

Looking at that lot, much of that could left for years and the car still driven, whilst claiming that your car was costing nothing to maintain. Good on you for getting it sorted.

Btw where did you get the cat bypass? I'm halfway though gutting my spare and it is the most miserable job imaginable.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:56 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Some of Hermans pieces are starting to come back, had the engine tins and rear hanger bar sandblasted and powder coated satin black which has turned out nice.
Body is well under way now and will grab some shots of that next week.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice Racoguy. I have been reading your Ghia thread in detail over the last few weeks. A stunning build for sure. I was most interested in the way you did the vinyl covering on the door caps etc. The 911T of mine of course is getting a total retrim and the door caps and side panel caps could probably do with a bit of work too - they are a bit dog eared. Obvious solutions would be to cover them in leather which is nice but the difinition is lost somewhat whereas your method would keep it tight and much like they would have been. I'm also doing a total knee pad replacement and ashtray delete as a one piece strip full width like the earlier cars so will be finding out a bit about CNC cut foam with glassed over skin and then perhaps your method of coverage because there are some tricky-as contours at the triangular end returns that leather might not be able to be pulled around tight enough. Leather and stitching is lovely, but not too much everywhere I reckon.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Warwick. That's a bloody impressive list for a year mate. Including full interior retrim and suspension plus all the other I have no doubt you have spent over 30k already and will have spent another 20k on wheels and all those other little things before you are done. One large job (top end or gearbox, or respray) from 100k club but I have no doubt you will be joining us soon so We have kept a seat warm for you. Do us a favour and knock out a mid 1.19 on those z221s next weekend at the track. Someone has to get 64s back below 1.20. I met a guy at the track last month when I did prestige Playdays who was doing 1.20 with his integra R on Hankooks :-) we need to liven things up a bit out there....
Old 11-06-2015, 06:06 PM
racoguy
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, yes that part was one of the more challenging components I had to make since the steel backer was also rotten there was quite a lot of work in it.
Porsche used an almost identical process for those pieces and vacuum forming the material over them is the only way to achieve that look.
Feel free to contact me or come over if you want to have a look / discuss ideas.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:01 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racoguy
Some of Hermans pieces are starting to come back, had the engine tins and rear hanger bar sandblasted and powder coated satin black which has turned out nice.
Body is well under way now and will grab some shots of that next week.
That looks great. I'm really going to have to sort out the rest of the engine to match, albeit if I don't limit the project at some point it will be a full on restoration.

The gearbox parts and new pulley bolt arrive on Monday so I'm unlikely to be able to get the box prior to returning from Australia. Maybe I can visit and pick the tin to get the engine as complete as possible when that happens.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That looks great. I'm really going to have to sort out the rest of the engine to match, albeit if I don't limit the project at some point it will be a full on restoration.

The gearbox parts and new pulley bolt arrive on Monday so I'm unlikely to be able to get the box prior to returning from Australia. Maybe I can visit and pick the tin to get the engine as complete as possible when that happens.
JMc - I think you are heading towards the $120K club mate - $100K club has been well and truly smashed............

P.s - you don't get a life membership until you hit the $150K club - only Macca is there at the moment.......
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. Great investments aye! Best ones in the group now owe 6 figures+ for examples likely get no better than high 5 figures if sold. That excludes annual insurance, maintenance, storage, consumables, WOF & Rego LOL!

Cant put a price on freedom. Fun is a little cheaper but still hard to price!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

From Ron regards last weeks Targa NZ. Looks like 7 cars from 17 did not finish/crashed out. Prestigio must be quaking as at least two expensive claims and the protestors don't bode well longer term... Does sound like a lot of fun tho!! Very jealous...

"The Targa Tour was pretty good actually and the smaller number (around 17) certainly made it much easier operationally. The lead driver (Devon M with Greg P co-driver) in a new Jag F-type was certainly fast, and faster than any lead car we’ve ever had. In some ways almost too fast. What they did this time was actually set the driving order and Patsy and I were behind the lead car. We were followed by Barry W in his Mercedes AMG and then Mike D in the BMW. Both of these guys had semi-slicks and for the first few there was quite a margin between us three and the next cars. One down side of the fast pace was the wear and tear on the cars of over 1000km of closed stages. We had put new tyres and brakes on the GTR and it was good that we did. Quite a few cars required mechanical attention and two dropped out with clutch repairs. Barry W was behind us the on second Gentle Annie stage when it rained and with his semi-slicks went off into a bank. Sadly that was end of the Tour for them. And on the last day there was a stage with a lot of loose metal around a blind corner that caused mayhem. The Jag turned sideways and we drifted sideways more than we ever had but Patsy managed to keep it on the road! However the Kids in Cars vehicle which was race modified and with a roll cage rolled over and was hit by a following older couple driving Peter Martin’s BMW. The woman put her hand up to the windscreen and broke her arm, requiring an operation. Simon in his R8 also clipped the car but not much damage. And one of the competitor drivers who joined the tour in a borrowed Camry also went off at that spot. So overall we had the biggest drop out rate we’ve ever seen....

Operationally there were still blips. Early in the first two days there were delays on the stage being ready due to taping not being completed. Some might have been due to people removing the tape. We saw protesters against the event for the first time too. We only lost one smallish stage due to the delays and Peter decided to drop the first of two prologue stages. So overall we did have a really good time, with the pace fast"
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
JMc - I think you are heading towards the $120K club mate - $100K club has been well and truly smashed............

P.s - you don't get a life membership until you hit the $150K club - only Macca is there at the moment.......
$20k is a big leap from your last estimate. Are you sharing Max's kool aid?

The gearbox parts and pulley bolt added $1,000 to the cost. The latter was not available in NZ so I figure most shops don't replace them. Given they are torqued up the ying yang I'm not taking chances. $20 to get my sill carpet made up, $50 to reanodise the Gemballa pedals. The spending is slowing...

I may yet get the valve covers and fan parts powder coated and I have a part coming that I can't talk about for that area as well.

Still need to source some new speakers. Splitters are laid up in Carbon fibre. It's all moving and we are getting closer to the reinstallation part. The flywheel and clutch were the start of that. It feels good to do some of the work myself.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You guys have probably already seen this Tesla drag race but it's impressive non the less:

Buba. Are you Max Fletcher?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:45 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows this for a hairy chested way to muscle a car around the green hell

Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Hows this for a hairy chested way to muscle a car around the green hell <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzH_Y-ytRmI">YouTube Link</a>
Yip an oldie but a goodie. "Fazination" with Stefan at the wheel. Must be 20 years old now on old gen tyres and tonnes of corrective lock. Big *****. My all time favourite 911 turbo car (yellow bird) and one of my favourite videos (literally transferred from VHS!)
Old 11-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by Macca
Yip an oldie but a goodie. "Fazination" with Stefan at the wheel. Must be 20 years old now on old gen tyres and tonnes of corrective lock. Big *****. My all time favourite 911 turbo car (yellow bird) and one of my favourite videos (literally transferred from VHS!)
Mate if you wear out your tape or get it stuck in the player I have a VHS copy too! also features 'climb dance'

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?