Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Not able to go to the sprints this weekend, is anyone able to take a box of the remaining t-shirts out to to HD?
I've organised to pick them up from Sam. Playing pass the package :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ndewar
^^^^^
Well done pete, great result. What did you get from the experience and what do you think it taught you about your car and your driving. Very different as an experience compared to our short 15 min stints with RSG.
Am keen to get involved in the new year.
See you soon
Cheers Neil
Neil - I got a huge amount out of it and a lot of stuff to build on for next year.

First up I thought the event was perfect for what we wanted to achieve - lots of seat time, a mix of overtaking, being overtaken and a few battles with similar paced cars. The format is such that its not wheel to wheel all the time - because other competitors are trying to finish - so in that sense its a far safer entry to racing.

The series was pretty well organised - a good bunch of competitors and it was very cool to see the number of people who just dropped in to say hello. Stu who had given Matt and I some instruction at the start plus a few of the Porsche racers - just a good social event as well as a race event.

It was awesome to have Steve, Dan and Chris B and their accumulated experience. Gutted again for Chris and Matt given how well their car was running at Taupo - took the gloss off the final round but at the same time an eye opener to know that no matter what the prep you do, it could happen to any car and you have to be prepared for it.

Personally, I treated Puke as a complete learning experience. I was way too polite in letting traffic past and it showed in spread of lap times. Learning from that was to just drive own pace and lines and put onus on the faster cars to pick their opportunity.

At Taupo I wasn't feeling flash though that was forgotten for the 90 minutes behind the wheel. We chose the wrong tyres but learnt some other things about car set up which helped for the HD round. Best thing about Taupo was being away with the team and making it a social event much like the NITT. Cool bar that Matt B introduced us to!

I was really looking forward to HD and the racing was a lot of fun. Bit disappointed that again I drove overly conservatively as was too focused on finishing and 'babying' the car a bit to the finish. Too conscious of having seen other cars die along the way. Probably around 2 secs a lap off what I should have been doing - Steve showed that it was possible with a couple of laps in the 16's.

The 944 was a great platform for endurance - just ran and ran - 9 hours running plus practice days and didn't miss a beat except for a broken accelerator pedal at Taupo! Downside was that in its class (2000 - 3500cc) it was not competitive against the likes of the Seat Leon which was doing consistent 1.13-1.14s. In fact it was interesting that we finished ahead of so many other cars that were capable of faster lap times but which had more down time for problems or fuelling stops. There's a limit to how fast the 944 could be developed and that's probably close to where Kev Etches GT4 currently is.

So all up for learning it was a fantastic experience and I'll definitely sign up for it again next year (car permitting). Will be interesting to compare with sprint racing over the summer.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Trying to work out why anyone wouldn't use any of these jack stands. Half the price.

They're not rounded tops - is that the issue?

http://search.supercheapauto.co.nz/s...=jack%20stands

When I jack up my cars I have a stack of about 5 6x2 blocks that I slide under the car. I'm rarely actually getting any body parts under it with what I do thus far.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Am I the only wellington T shirt buyer?? post delivery? if so got my mailing address?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Am I the only wellington T shirt buyer?? post delivery? if so got my mailing address?
Graeme - think we'll also be posting to Palmy and the Tron as well.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:11 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by gt38088
Graeme. I am at HD both days this weekend and can pick up your T-shirts and bring them down to Wellington next week.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Neil - I got a huge amount out of it and a lot of stuff to build on for next year.

First up I thought the event was perfect for what we wanted to achieve - lots of seat time, a mix of overtaking, being overtaken and a few battles with similar paced cars. The format is such that its not wheel to wheel all the time - because other competitors are trying to finish - so in that sense its a far safer entry to racing.

The series was pretty well organised - a good bunch of competitors and it was very cool to see the number of people who just dropped in to say hello. Stu who had given Matt and I some instruction at the start plus a few of the Porsche racers - just a good social event as well as a race event.

It was awesome to have Steve, Dan and Chris B and their accumulated experience. Gutted again for Chris and Matt given how well their car was running at Taupo - took the gloss off the final round but at the same time an eye opener to know that no matter what the prep you do, it could happen to any car and you have to be prepared for it.

Personally, I treated Puke as a complete learning experience. I was way too polite in letting traffic past and it showed in spread of lap times. Learning from that was to just drive own pace and lines and put onus on the faster cars to pick their opportunity.

At Taupo I wasn't feeling flash though that was forgotten for the 90 minutes behind the wheel. We chose the wrong tyres but learnt some other things about car set up which helped for the HD round. Best thing about Taupo was being away with the team and making it a social event much like the NITT. Cool bar that Matt B introduced us to!

I was really looking forward to HD and the racing was a lot of fun. Bit disappointed that again I drove overly conservatively as was too focused on finishing and 'babying' the car a bit to the finish. Too conscious of having seen other cars die along the way. Probably around 2 secs a lap off what I should have been doing - Steve showed that it was possible with a couple of laps in the 16's.

The 944 was a great platform for endurance - just ran and ran - 9 hours running plus practice days and didn't miss a beat except for a broken accelerator pedal at Taupo! Downside was that in its class (2000 - 3500cc) it was not competitive against the likes of the Seat Leon which was doing consistent 1.13-1.14s. In fact it was interesting that we finished ahead of so many other cars that were capable of faster lap times but which had more down time for problems or fuelling stops. There's a limit to how fast the 944 could be developed and that's probably close to where Kev Etches GT4 currently is.

So all up for learning it was a fantastic experience and I'll definitely sign up for it again next year (car permitting). Will be interesting to compare with sprint racing over the summer.
Pete. Good summary, it was also my first enduro series and very enjoyable. An awesome result for you and Steve and your result was a great endorsement for the 944 in these type of events.

A great starter for Matt and some real highs and lows for us, Taupo was great and that buzz of finishing 3 hours was a real high. The lows were pretty low, but thats motor racing and I will be back again next year.

I found the more relaxed approach without the do or die need to pass at the very first opportunity provided a great platform for development and made it feel more social even though it was bloody hard work.

Overall the format with the bigger team making it happen and compressed down to the 3 hours racing made it a lot more social and for me refreshing and enjoyable.

We just need a few more RSG members to join us next year!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Paul - if its damp you can use the 221s (17 x 225) that I have on the rims I used on the 964. The left side is down to cords on the outer edge but if you're driving in the wet then you won't be leaning on them (much!)

Dan did bring the spare 235/17s out on the weekend but I had no way of getting them home.
Thanks Pete - might have to come pay you a visit on Saturday.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Trying to work out why anyone wouldn't use any of these jack stands. Half the price.

They're not rounded tops - is that the issue?

http://search.supercheapauto.co.nz/s...=jack%20stands

When I jack up my cars I have a stack of about 5 6x2 blocks that I slide under the car. I'm rarely actually getting any body parts under it with what I do thus far.
Doug, I'm using those cheap stands. They do the job for me. I like the not flat top, fits perfectly under the radius arm at the rear end and the wishbone in the front of the old 911. If I need a flat surface I just put a pice of wood In between. I have a couple of wood blocks too for putting under the car.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
We just need a few more RSG members to join us next year!
+100% - have a suspicion we will.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Thanks Pete - might have to come pay you a visit on Saturday.
I'll be out at HD in the pouring rain setting a "very wet" lap in BB. If you want I can leave the 225/17s on the front porch in case no one's home. The front left is not flash but no harm if you stuffed it completely!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralf G
Doug, I'm using those cheap stands. They do the job for me. I like the not flat top, fits perfectly under the radius arm at the rear end and the wishbone in the front of the old 911. If I need a flat surface I just put a pice of wood In between. I have a couple of wood blocks too for putting under the car.
Ralf, the 964 is designed to support at specific jacking points. This photo of the rear jack point on my Turbo 3.6 shows how small the target spot is. The flat top Esco stands have the same shape as the lift pads and provide the most stable platform possible without interfering with the sill plastics.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Ralf, the 964 is designed to support at specific jacking points. This photo of the front jack point on my Turbo 3.6 shows how small the target spot is. The flat top Esco stands have the same shape as the lift pads and provide the most stable platform possible without interfering with the sill plastics.
Understand. Makes sense when it fits to that jacking point. If I have the wheels of, I put one of the wheels plus a wooden block underneath for security.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Front jacking point
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

If you own a 964 it's also a good idea to buy jacking pads as used above. It allows the jack to clear the sill plastic.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ralf G
Understand. Makes sense when it fits to that jacking point. If I have the wheels of, I put one of the wheels plus a wooden block underneath for security.
Agreed. You just need to make sure with a 964 that the wheel is well under the car as there is some expensive air con plumbing running under the sill that you don't want to crush.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?