Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharrisonnz
Hi everyone, A good friend of mine was taking one of his Ferrari's for a spin yesterday and unfortunately went past a policeman. The cop followed him (no radar) and stopped him claiming he was doing 160km/h plus as he had to sustain this speed on his verified Holden commodore speedo. Long story short - they wanted to seize the car, but in the end didn't (it's worth well into the 7 figures) but have suspended his license, and given him a court date in late Jan. Can anyone suggest the name of a good lawyer who specializes in reducing penalties or getting people off and also sorting work licenses as quickly as possible. Speed and expertise is a must - not too concerned about the cost of the legal fees. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Cheers Matt
Hi Matt, the Police presence out there is heavy on A roads over the holiday period, so I imagine no cops have leave and are more grumpy than usual for missing out on the break. That combined with a publicised obsession with speeding could lead them to try it on here, but I suspect they know the law well enough to have this suspension legally covered. There's not much you can do when stopped except stay quiet and not fall into their talking traps to self incriminate. Then after the fact make use of the legal system to minimise the damage.

I've never been in this exact position so haven't had to use lawyers but a quick google search brought up a couple of names that I have heard of before e.g. Karen Harding. From recollection, the legal fraternity take January as a forced leave break, so don't be surprised if it's difficult to find someone or that there's little they can do until the courts re-open.

Btw is the la Ferrari Grey? I thought I saw one come past the house on Christmas Day in Kohimarama.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

We've only driven 730km so far in the Cayenne, but we're very impressed. Fuel consumption is nothing to write home about (13.5l per 100km or 21 mpg), but that was a known from the outset, as was brake and tyre consumption.

What impresses is the on-road composure. Set the cruise control at 104km/hr and it's like a magic carpet. The trip into Wellington yesterday was so smooth and noise free my parents said they had never been in a car that comfortable.

I'm not turning into a SUV fanboy, but there are times when practicality means a 911 doesn't cut it, I can see why the car is a big seller. As a long distance and tow car I think it's great value at mid 20s. Now I have to wait for the first big bill....
Old 12-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. We were impressed with Doug for the couple of weeks we had it in September. at mid 20s its great value (as was the similar vintage e39 M5 I sold 12 months prior to make some storage room for the GT3). Jos only complaint is she found it a bit big around town, but thats something you get used to fairly quickly.

Id be keen to learn the medium term ownership costs. I doubt they will be any more than the 996TT you had over 2 years given the car has been bought at similar age and mileage.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Around town gas mileage sux.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:25 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
P.S. Around town gas mileage sux.
19.5 l/100k around town :-(
11.5 on open road at 100k with (more economical) cruise control applying consistent power, otherwise highway is 12.5l/100k. About the same as my prior Holden Berlina v8 wagon.

7 years 110,000 km of ownership and I can say that maintenance costs have been very reasonable. First few years were high (tyres) as I drove it hard, but once I "settled down" it's been a pretty economical motor. I listed the maintenance items I've had over this time on a previous post within the last month.

Rotors and pads cost a bomb ($1800 incl labour 5 years ago) but I've only replaced the rotors once in that time. Big brakes, easy driving = low wear, long life.

They are "big" cars - much bigger than they look. Jan hates driving it but plenty of remmers ladies drive them all the time.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM
O2GO
Drifting

And towing a 2 ton boat / tandem axle trailer with the Cayenne v8 budget on 35l/100k. Later models continuously improved the economy but you don't buy a Porsche to save on gas :-)
Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. We were impressed with Doug for the couple of weeks we had it in September. at mid 20s its great value (as was the similar vintage e39 M5 I sold 12 months prior to make some storage room for the GT3). Jos only complaint is she found it a bit big around town, but thats something you get used to fairly quickly. Id be keen to learn the medium term ownership costs. I doubt they will be any more than the 996TT you had over 2 years given the car has been bought at similar age and mileage.
It is BIG around town. Narrow streets are a trial as are tight parking spaces.

I haven't toted up the 996TT costs but I purposely avoided high mileage Cayennes given my experience with it related to mileage travelled.

This car is 2005 with 98,000 km whereas the 996TT was 2001 and 148,000 km at purchase in 2012. Some parts do wear based on mileage and it costs no matter how strong the drivetrain. I have the T shirt.

Cayennes have problems with coolant pipes, starter motors, coils, cardan shafts and air suspension.

Dean was able to confirm the coolant pipes and starter motor were done. I'm up for the other three, possibly, at some stage. The most expensive one would be air suspension but Dean says it isn't common in his experience.

Trucks have a concept called economic life. It's where the cost to maintain a vehicle based on mileage travelled is more than to replace it with a lesser mileage vehicle. A truck may have 3 or more economic lives. 24/7 Line haul, then daily, then local delivery.

I think a 10yr old Cayenne is on its second or third economic use. only suited for occasional use on an economic basis. A Q5 is a better DD.

If the Cayennes start to proliferate in the Group it may be easier to rent off an unused one than buy another vehicle.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bring it on I say John. The more occasional use Cayennes sitting in folks garages looking for annual contributions to cover their servicing costs the better I say. Jo and I may never have to pay a rental car again for the 3 months a year we plan to be in NZ pa!

I think the Cayenne feels bigger than it looks. However Im well used to the size as my truck back home would be similar in terms of size and gross weight.

A diesel version would be the answer to lower fuel costs without giving anything away in torque.

Mid 20s there isnt alot of tasty fruit so if you need a tow vehicle this or a V10 Tourage of similar generation isnt bad pickings. For another 5-10 you are into E60 V10 terratory along with RS4 and other kit which whilst not strictly tow car material do offer sports sedan rides and as much interior storage.

As I said to Dave when I visited him earlier in the week - for 30K +/- 10K there is a bundle of fun to be bought. My car ownership list below was compiled between 2000 and 2006 when I left NZ. It does not include a number of daily drivers (not worthy of mention particularly!). On average Id buy and sell an interesting car every year. Some on here like Dave and Chris B are more prolific. If I were to state the top 5 things I miss about living in NZ it would be "flicking cars". If I lived in NZ that last 9 years I think the list would be at least double. Little is sacred with this much temptation!!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Michael. I have your sons Porsche Xmas pressie. Let ,me know what you want to do with it?

Ill be putting up some collectable books and other Porsche stuff on TM/ebay later in the week. Not sure there is much that will interest the RSG boys here other than a set of roll bar & window RAM mounts still in their plastic ideal for a race car and a roll bar mount kit for GoPro...also anyone with a Nikon system I have a D700 body seen around 1000 shots going cheap along with the standard 50mm lens.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Michael. I have your sons Porsche Xmas pressie. Let ,me know what you want to do with it?

Ill be putting up some collectable books and other Porsche stuff on TM/ebay later in the week. Not sure there is much that will interest the RSG boys here other than a set of roll bar & window RAM mounts still in their plastic ideal for a race car and a roll bar mount kit for GoPro...also anyone with a Nikon system I have a D700 body seen around 1000 shots going cheap along with the standard 50mm lens.
Probably the easiest thing would be for me to pick it up from you on the 13th, if this works for you.

How cheap is cheap re the D700?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan. PM me re the camera. I'll make sure it's a deal for you! I'll get it from storage shortly and make sure it's all working well first.

You know you are in Auckland when your coffees get delivered looking like this.....
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 PM
mjg
Pro

You know you are in Auckland when your coffees get delivered looking like this.....
Looks like Petit Bocal's latte art?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Looks like Petit Bocal's latte art?
Good call. 100% correct! Little sis lives around the corner. Must be a local for you. Forgotten how much I enjoy Mt Eden. So many old haunts around here...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:12 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

An F40 or an F50 Matt??
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good call. 100% correct! Little sis lives around the corner. Must be a local for you. Forgotten how much I enjoy Mt Eden. So many old haunts around here...
Macca - If you are still in Mt Eden - swing past for a cold one........

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?